Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The Ike Struggle

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 12:33 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
The Ike Struggle

Well fellas, I guess I need some input/opinions/friendly accountability on my truck situation. So long story VERY long.... I tried pretty hard to sell it for the last 4 months with no success. The only reason I'm wanting to sell it is because I am under the mindset that my family and I really need a crew cab for more room for the kiddos and the dog, and that is the only reason. I love this truck and it's paid for. I have put a lot of blood sweat and tears into making it extremely dependable as well as being the perfect towing rig for a heavy trailer and cross-country excursions when they arise.

So yesterday, after a very busy month and zero time on my hands, I took the day off and spent three hours vacuuming all of the dog hair and cleaning the interior, as well as cleaning and conditioning the leather. I got a basketball size ball of dog hair out of my truck and cleaned out a lot of dirt from the last three months of beach excursions. It's amazing how good it looks when it's all clean and how good it smells when you open the door after getting all that crap out of there. It's one of those situations where you start to really realize what a good truck you have and I started to question if I should even bother trying to sell it and just make do with what I have. I had the bright idea that I would sell it and get a crew cab V10 or a crew cab diesel if I could find one with a manual transmission. I have had pretty bad luck trying to sell this truck and the ones that are available in my price range are very few and far between, I even thought I might trade it in and finance something newer, like a newer big block gas, but that just seems dumb.

Anyways, I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this. I just wanted some outside objective input to see if I'm just being ridiculous and should keep what I have and not worry about it anymore or if I should just continue to be patient and wait for the right buyer to come along. As it sits right now, I can fit both kids in the extended cab safely and when the dog comes along, he has a tie out in the bed where he can ride in the bed to wherever we're going. That seems to be the best solution and I can continue on my track to put a half a million miles on this truck, or I can continue to try to sell it and then try to go with a V10 or something else if it does sell. At this point, I am so tired of the kooks and the idiots that tire kick and try to Jew me down to some ridiculous price because they think it needs new injectors or the mileage spooks them. I don't even want to deal with it anymore and just keep the truck that I know like the back of my hand and I know I can get in it tomorrow and pull my trailer across country with zero issues.

So 7.3 SD community, what say you? Think of this as a convo over beer and we are just speculating and spitballing. I am open to all input. Thanks for reading.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Definitely, you need to bring over a case of ribs, a keg and a kegorator while we go over this.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:29 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Definitely, you need to bring over a case of ribs, a keg and a kegorator while we go over this.
Hahahaha....you got it Mark. I'll be there in, oh say, 31 HOURS LOL

Old 07-06-2019, 01:33 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 785 Likes on 574 Posts
I'm in the keep it camp, for all the reasons you mentioned. Even with a CC fido will be in the bed, unless it's a tripping hazard instead of a dog. Need a good carrier tho.

Maybe reconsider when the kids get bigger and start complaining. Of course, maybe they will never complain because it's all they know.

You feel the quake? Pretty far away but she was a good one.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:39 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
When I had my Great Dane I had him trained that he wouldn't get out of the bed unless I gave permission. That was back when you were allowed to discipline your dogs without going to jail.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Does your family have a second reliable vehicle?

My wife and I and our 2 dogs take 2 vehicles anytime the camper is moving. We use 2 way radios to stay in contact.

She follows behind me in the Subaru to make sure that I can make the turns and path the GPS says to go. She helps me change lanes and merge into traffic if/when I need it. She simply moves over and blocks the lane for me.

When we get to our destination, the truck stays parked with the firewood and are fresh well water in the bed. Subaru then becomes the run-around vehicle to see the sights, go hiking, exploring or driving into a city to see a show. So much easier to buzz around and Subaru than it ever would be in the Super Duty.

In addition, the Subaru serves as a Chase vehicle in case there is anything that goes mechanically wrong with the super duty while you're traveling. This is coming to play more than a couple times and has worked very well. Vice versa, the truck could do the same for the Subaru if there is ever a problem.

Yes we are using a bit more fuel and are in two different cars, but we stopped so often for brakes and have the two-way radios to stay in touch. It is so much nicer having the second, smaller vehicle with all-wheel drive to do whatever we please.

She usually has the dogs with her, and the cooler. I take all the outdoor storage stuff in the bed with me and a couple little things in the cab.

Just an option.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:00 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
When I had my Great Dane I had him trained that he wouldn't get out of the bed unless I gave permission. That was back when you were allowed to discipline your dogs without going to jail.
My Heeler is real good about staying, but it's law here to have him tethered, which is no big deal for me. It's a clip and unclip sort of setup. Danes are great. My wife loves them, which means we will have one in our future.

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
I'm in the keep it camp, for all the reasons you mentioned. Even with a CC fido will be in the bed, unless it's a tripping hazard instead of a dog. Need a good carrier tho.

Maybe reconsider when the kids get bigger and start complaining. Of course, maybe they will never complain because it's all they know.

You feel the quake? Pretty far away but she was a good one.
Thanks my friend. Yeah, I did feel it big time. I was sitting in a parking lot and my car started shaking back and forth and I thought it was one of my buddies pushing on the back bumper messing with me. It was weird when I turned around and nobody was there and all the other cars around me were doing the same thing. It lasted for about 10 seconds and we are a hundred eighty miles from the epicenter.

Great input. It really helps and you are right.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:06 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
Does your family have a second reliable vehicle?

My wife and I and our 2 dogs take 2 vehicles anytime the camper is moving. We use 2 way radios to stay in contact.

She follows behind me in the Subaru to make sure that I can make the turns and path the GPS says to go. She helps me change lanes and merge into traffic if/when I need it. She simply moves over and blocks the lane for me.

When we get to our destination, the truck stays parked with the firewood and are fresh well water in the bed. Subaru then becomes the run-around vehicle to see the sights, go hiking, exploring or driving into a city to see a show. So much easier to buzz around and Subaru than it ever would be in the Super Duty.

In addition, the Subaru serves as a Chase vehicle in case there is anything that goes mechanically wrong with the super duty while you're traveling. This is coming to play more than a couple times and has worked very well. Vice versa, the truck could do the same for the Subaru if there is ever a problem.

Yes we are using a bit more fuel and are in two different cars, but we stopped so often for brakes and have the two-way radios to stay in touch. It is so much nicer having the second, smaller vehicle with all-wheel drive to do whatever we please.

She usually has the dogs with her, and the cooler. I take all the outdoor storage stuff in the bed with me and a couple little things in the cab.

Just an option.
We do Sous. We have a 2015 Kia Soul that serves as a fantastic second vehicle. It is a tad small with two kiddos, so we may upgrade that one as well. That's my other option I didn't mention. It does serve the same purpose as your Subie though and we love the car. It comfortable, dependable, and great on gas. And the two radio thing is golden. We have a set of Cobras that serve us well.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:47 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My dad scored a new 2014 6.7 4x4 crewcab the begging of 2015 for 36k before taxes, from fritts ford in riverside it's been a issue free great truck. Pulls his 40' toy hauler with ease.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:06 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by pilgrimbizket
My dad scored a new 2014 6.7 4x4 crewcab the begging of 2015 for 36k before taxes, from fritts ford in riverside it's been a issue free great truck. Pulls his 40' toy hauler with ease.
I just have no interest in the 6.7. Too pricey and too quiet LOL. It'll either be an 8.1 GM, a Triton V10 2005 or later, or 2000-2003 7.3....

I don't know. Looking at all options. My truck is paid for, very reliable, and pulls our current trailer with no real complaining. I think a 6.7 would be a downgrade with DEF and all emissions. I very much appreciate the input.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:24 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Who really believes this guy is trying “really hard to sell the truck” lol I know it can be a tough hunt but they are out there my brother just picked up a ccsb with fiberglass topper xlt trim w 200 for 9200 in excellent condition. We couldn’t believe the price based on weeks of looking. Pretty much you want to find someone that doesn’t know what they have but knows they have to pay someone preferably the dealer to do the work when you are in a buying Position. Also put the price super high to give the future owner a realllll dealllll!!! You should have seen me the guy I bought the truck gave me thousands off asking price the future owner will tout to his friends/wife if she’s got him on a lil hanger I see that one a lot to

Old 07-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I've always been on the keep the truck train. It's rock solid dependable and has a known history. Better the beast you know than the beauty you don't.

We have been really pleased with our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, no mechanical issues, and super quiet and smooth. Plenty of room inside too. just a thought.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:20 PM
drs1023
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People keep their trucks for as many different reasons as they want to sell them.
1) Is it reliable?
2) Does it do what you want it to do with very little back talk? ie. Tow a trailer, camper, boat?
3) Do you anticipate any major cash drain for repairs?
4) Does your wife, girlfriend, significant other hate your truck?
5) Can you afford a new (or newer) truck?

These questions will guide you. I have a flat nose (1991) F350 double cab dually with fairly low miles. I bought it over 15 years ago and have repaired/maintained it like it was a newer truck. It's big, missing 50% of the paint, and is a bit noisy, but it starts, runs, and drives like a much newer truck. I installed a dump scissor and cylinder on the stock bed many years ago, and can unload a rounded over load of firewood in 8 seconds flat. I pull a skid steer or tractor with ease and it rides so much smoother than my Ranger. My kids and most of my friends nag me to buy a newer, nicer truck, but mine is worth more to me than what anyone else would pay for it.

I KEEP my truck.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Send it to Idioit and have him add ya a second row.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:26 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Send it to Idioit and have him add ya a second row.
Hmmmmmm, this can be done? LOL....maybe maybe

Originally Posted by Jarrett Campbell
I've always been on the keep the truck train. It's rock solid dependable and has a known history. Better the beast you know than the beauty you don't.

We have been really pleased with our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, no mechanical issues, and super quiet and smooth. Plenty of room inside too. just a thought.
Agreed on the beast/beauty thing....

Originally Posted by drs1023
People keep their trucks for as many different reasons as they want to sell them.
1) Is it reliable?
2) Does it do what you want it to do with very little back talk? ie. Tow a trailer, camper, boat?
3) Do you anticipate any major cash drain for repairs?
4) Does your wife, girlfriend, significant other hate your truck?
5) Can you afford a new (or newer) truck?

These questions will guide you. I have a flat nose (1991) F350 double cab dually with fairly low miles. I bought it over 15 years ago and have repaired/maintained it like it was a newer truck. It's big, missing 50% of the paint, and is a bit noisy, but it starts, runs, and drives like a much newer truck. I installed a dump scissor and cylinder on the stock bed many years ago, and can unload a rounded over load of firewood in 8 seconds flat. I pull a skid steer or tractor with ease and it rides so much smoother than my Ranger. My kids and most of my friends nag me to buy a newer, nicer truck, but mine is worth more to me than what anyone else would pay for it.

I KEEP my truck.
I like it....something to be proud of. For me, the ONLY reason is the room needed, but I may be able to get around for another few years. Even my wife doesn't want to see him go.

Quick Reply: The Ike Struggle