Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ike Struggle

Old 07-08-2019, 07:13 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Hmmmmmm, this can be done? LOL....maybe maybe

Agreed on the beast/beauty thing....

I like it....something to be proud of. For me, the ONLY reason is the room needed, but I may be able to get around for another few years. Even my wife doesn't want to see him go.
Search his artwork, he makes it look easy! Idioit, I'm jealous of his abilities.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:40 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
We have a set of Cobras that serve us well.
Had to go back and read that a little slower because at first I thought you were saying you had two Mustang Cobra's. I was about to get reeeeel jelly!

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
You feel the quake? Pretty far away but she was a good one.
I was in Bakersfield when it hit on Friday.

Stewart

PS - Keep it. It's Cody tuned. That's friggen gold.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:58 PM
ArmyLifer
Elder User
ArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to beholdArmyLifer is a splendid one to behold
I’m in the keep it camp. You know this rig and can fix nearly anything. Maybe Sous’ chase vehicle would work when space is at a premium.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Brother Les
Posting Guru
Brother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to beholdBrother Les is a splendid one to behold
I have a CrewCab and as the family grows (friends, girlfriends, boy friends, etc) it is not big enough for everyone to ride, we end up taking another vehicle for everyone. We take long trips camping across country with the whole family and it is good to have the second vehicle. Some trips it is just me and the wife....

on the last trip, lost a hub/tire/fender.... on the trailer, nice to have the second vehicle to get 'parts'....

Keep the truck.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 PM
HD Rider
Posting Guru
HD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to allHD Rider is a name known to all
I'll be in the market for another 7.3 hopefully next spring.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:57 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
WAS, in the same craphole your in, my brutha. Felt like sardines going anywhere. Got to the point where my daughter was riding shotgun. Just happened to stumble on CC i got now. Grant it, it aint 4wd but the room is priceless. Just last night loaded up the fam and blew 250 bucks on firworks at Avi lol..were late to the 4th of july..haha
You know and we know, what the trucks' worth but, everyone wants everything for nothing. Not saying to let ur go, bro but maybe have to sharpen the pencil some to move on...
Im in the, get rid of it and find your C.C. camp.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:47 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Had to go back and read that a little slower because at first I thought you were saying you had two Mustang Cobra's. I was about to get reeeeel jelly!

I was in Bakersfield when it hit on Friday.

Stewart

PS - Keep it. It's Cody tuned. That's friggen gold.
Thanks Stewart! That part is very, very true.

Originally Posted by ArmyLifer View Post
I’m in the keep it camp. You know this rig and can fix nearly anything. Maybe Sous’ chase vehicle would work when space is at a premium.
I think you and Sous are onto something here. Drove it all day yesterday about 200 miles. It just seems dumb to get rid of it unless a CC comes along with this same configuration and mine sells at a premium....in other words....UNICORN

Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
I have a CrewCab and as the family grows (friends, girlfriends, boy friends, etc) it is not big enough for everyone to ride, we end up taking another vehicle for everyone. We take long trips camping across country with the whole family and it is good to have the second vehicle. Some trips it is just me and the wife....

on the last trip, lost a hub/tire/fender.... on the trailer, nice to have the second vehicle to get 'parts'....

Keep the truck.
Wise words. Thanks for chiming in. this makes the discussion that much richer.

Originally Posted by HD Rider View Post
I'll be in the market for another 7.3 hopefully next spring.
Welllll, he "might" be around. At least you know he's been well cared for

Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
WAS, in the same craphole your in, my brutha. Felt like sardines going anywhere. Got to the point where my daughter was riding shotgun. Just happened to stumble on CC i got now. Grant it, it aint 4wd but the room is priceless. Just last night loaded up the fam and blew 250 bucks on firworks at Avi lol..were late to the 4th of july..haha
You know and we know, what the trucks' worth but, everyone wants everything for nothing. Not saying to let ur go, bro but maybe have to sharpen the pencil some to move on...
Im in the, get rid of it and find your C.C. camp.
Like we texted back and forth, I hear you. Wisewords here too.....ah decisions. If the "unicorn" sitch happens, he'd have to go....but, we are talking unicorns here. By the way, tell me the story how you stumbled on yours? That's gotta be a good story.

Last edited by Stewart_H; 07-11-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:56 AM
bigb56
Posting Guru
bigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to beholdbigb56 is a splendid one to behold
I do this all the time, I decide to sell something then after I get it all cleaned up I decide I am not ready to part with it. With vehicles, if at all possible, I like to buy the replacement but hold onto the old one for a while and "work" my way into the new one.....besides you might need to swap some stuff

Old 07-11-2019, 02:10 PM
dmd
Senior User
dmd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sounds like Sous is just trying to get the wife out of the truck when he is driving.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:38 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Personally, I would keep it. It may not be exactly what you want but it's a great truck and does most everything you need.

I can empathize. When mine got totaled out my first thought was "I need to get another one" like Tugly did. Looking around at what was available there were none that measured up as a replacement.

I put so much money, time, money, parts, money, sweat, and money into mine that nothing was going to be good enough. Even if I did get another 7.3L I knew it would never measure up to my first one. Plus even a "newer" 7.3L is 17 years old and I don't have the buck$zooka to build Money Pit II.

I did not have a choice (I did not want a salvage title) so opted to get out of the game, get something different, and make monthly buck$zooka installments. Hanging around here lets me scratch my itch and if I close my eyes I can still smell the truck idling in my driveway.

Sorry for the tangent. IMO I would keep it and make it work. To me the pink slip in my pocket would offset a lot of things.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:59 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
BBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant futureBBslider001 has a brilliant future
Fellas, first I want to say I very much appreciate the input. I know taking the time to answer some whiny owner's questions, such as myself, can be a PITA. But, you guys helped me see that I don't "really" have a problem. He's gonna stay for the long term unless some unicorn truck appears AND a unicorn buyer to go with it....in other words, it will not happen in the near future. Ike has been a frickin' BEAST of a truck. Now, I HATE the word "beast". It's vanilla, and overused and sounds newbie, but he has been and I am thankful. I am thankful he runs and sounds as good as he does at 288k miles. Mammoth? Yeah, that's better....mammoth..... but yes, I am thankful I could get in him today, hook up my 13k 5er and go to other coast with confidence if I needed to. These things make me stress free, and that is priceless IMO.

So, what am I going to do with him to make him even better at this point? He doesn't need anything, but I do think I am going to drop the coin on the power steering kit this Fall and do the major improvement in that area. That is really my one and only complaint about driving him daily. I have flushed the fluid the right way. While my braking improved noticeably, the steering did not. It's odd. When he's cold, the steering is like butter. once he's warm, the steering goes back to they typical SD tractor steer. I'm gonna fix that once and for all for the low price of $800 LOL!!

Either way, thanks again dudes. You guys rule.....onward ho with Ike.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
We knew you would see the light at some point...

What are your plans for the steering situation? Do you have a parts list completed yet? Curious to see who you are going with for the gear replacement or if that is even in the cards. Bluetop, WTO, ram assist, no ram...

My steering pump has a very, very slow leak and will be replaced this winter when camping season is over and it is not 100 degrees in the garage at 11:00 AM.

Good to see you will be sticking around, your chair at the table was not given out quite yet as we could see the tears in your eyes as you looked back at the BBQ feast we were having while laughing at the others in the fine dinning section with their cloth napkins on their laps and crap like that... We have cold beer, great food and real trucks here... Welcome home, even though you never really left...

Old 07-14-2019, 08:23 AM
BBslider001
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
We knew you would see the light at some point...

What are your plans for the steering situation? Do you have a parts list completed yet? Curious to see who you are going with for the gear replacement or if that is even in the cards. Bluetop, WTO, ram assist, no ram...

My steering pump has a very, very slow leak and will be replaced this winter when camping season is over and it is not 100 degrees in the garage at 11:00 AM.

Good to see you will be sticking around, your chair at the table was not given out quite yet as we could see the tears in your eyes as you looked back at the BBQ feast we were having while laughing at the others in the fine dinning section with their cloth napkins on their laps and crap like that... We have cold beer, great food and real trucks here... Welcome home, even though you never really left...

Sous my friend, thanks for the good words! Yes, fine dining I am not, but BBQ and cold beer with some Waylon I will always be!

As far as the steering kit, it's the one that comes with the new reservoir and all the components. I forget the name of it. I'll have to look at the previous thread I have saved and find it. I don't think I could do much better trying to piece it together myself. If you have, or anyone else, has input on this, lemme know!! I'll get a thread going here pretty soon and we can discuss for the benefit of other members as well.

Cheers!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.