6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

High Deltas with brand new oil cooler, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 03:45 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
You might find it less of a PITA if you remove the outer tube of the filter
housing so you can push down with one hand and use the other to start the screws.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:16 AM
Johnny Bravo 45
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure which direction the loose brass plunger goes into the base of the oil cooler and the spring, I assume the spring fits into the hollow area of the brass plunger. I remember when I pulled the assembly out, the entire spring and plunger popped out. I did not see which way the plunger was facing when it came out.

Thanks!

OH yea, I figured out my high delta problem. The oil cooler back flush was the problem, I"m sure of it! Looking @ both the stock plate and the backflush plate, the back flush plate completly blocks the opening of one side of the oil cooler. The stock plate has about a 1/4 inch gap to allow water flow.
I had asked this question but nobody answered my question. In the back of my very preoccupied mind, I kept wondering if the backflush plate was the problem...IT was!

Now to get this bypass valve figured out and hope that no plastic fell into the oil cooler. I found nothing in the bypass valve. I actually took a vacuum and a small piece of vacuum hose and riged it so Icould feed the tiny hose into the holes of the bypass. I got no plastic chunks.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:45 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Old 05-26-2019, 09:46 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Oh, God ........

Old 05-26-2019, 10:41 AM
Johnny Bravo 45
Tuned
I looked at the two links. Now, I can not figure out how the bypass valve fits into the assembly. I assume it goes into the empty hole on the right. I just want to be clear so I don't assume and assemble it incorrectly.

Second, which direction does the bypass valve fit into the hole. Assuming once again, the spring fits into the empty portion of the brass piston, spring down or spring up? I am guessing that it is spring down since the entire piston and spring came out of the filter housing when I removed it?

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-26-2019, 12:44 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Can you not see the top of the spring in this pic (this pic is from the link I posted)?

Also, this pics shows how it goes in (spring first):

Old 05-27-2019, 12:56 AM
Johnny Bravo 45
Tuned
I see the bottom pic for the oil drain circled in red. However, the piece I need to install is the brass piston with the spring fitted into the piston. How does that spring fit into the bypass assembly? I assume the spring fits into the housing area to the right that you see from looking above on the bottom pic. When my spring and piston came out, the entire spring and piston popped out. Now, the spring sets in but will not seat & sits loosely. Is there a piece that holds that spring in place or is it just loose? And does that spring to into the assembly facing upwards while looking down on the assembly OR dose the spring go down towards the oil cooler?

Thank you guys!!!

Old 05-27-2019, 05:56 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
You can see a part of the top of the spring if you expand the picture in the link I posted (you can see it in the "notched area" that leaves a flow opening for the bypassed oil).

I posted it earlier - the spring goes in the hole first. Then the plug goes in. Of course it will be loose at first - it then has to be compressed during the install.

Look at the pic below (it is in post #43 of the link I already posted, but will re-post) to see how he compressed it upon installation (ie getting both sides pushed down together):
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...45578a6989.jpg
Torx 27 and 36mm for the balance tools to compress spring on install. The socket is ONLY to EVENLY balance the bridge while you are compressing the spring. After tightening the one torx screw, remove the tool holding the other side down and then install the other torx screw. Please remember - Yahiko mentioned earlier that the install might be easier w/ the oil filter housing removed.

Again - if you expand the pic above, you can see the top of the compressed spring and that the brass plug is under it (you can see it in the "notched area" that leaves a flow opening for the bypassed oil).

thread link again:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...erences-2.html

If you still have issues, do you have any mobile mechanics in the area?

Old 05-27-2019, 09:53 AM
Johnny Bravo 45
Tuned
Bismic,

I completely understand that description of the install, Thank You!!! Thanks for your patience also, I was obviously having some challenges understanding how to install this piece prior to last post.

Like I said before, I"ve been under a ton of stress with work, school (final quarter for my masters & I"m Done! ), projects.....and my job just posted a promotional position which I'm eligible for which requires a research paper and educational demonstration. When it rains, it pours right That being said, I am grateful for all the help as this project is almost finished so I can press on.

So, for the people who use the Search button; you can not keep the backflush kit on the oil cooler for normal use of the vehicle. If you do, your delta's will be about 30 deg apart.

Thank you all again for the help !!!

Old 05-27-2019, 01:53 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I hear ya! That shoulder doesn't help either. I have been through rotator cuff issues. Even simple things are hard!

Old 06-02-2019, 09:08 AM
Johnny Bravo 45
Tuned
Just a quick follow up for thoese who use the search feature.

I re-assembled the oil filter bypass. I removed the oil filter housing and then got my shop vac and used some varying sized heater hose to vacuum hoses and taped together then attached it to my shop vac. I put the smallest end of the hose into the lower openings in the bottom of the oil fitter housing, then tried to suck up any debris that may have fallen into the oil cooler. I Found nothing so I"m hoping that the missing piece of the old standpipe fell elsewhere.

After getting the truck back together I towed our dump trailer to get 5 yards of mulch. My deltas never varied over 4 deg!

Sorry for my expression of frustration, I was just overwhelmed with crap breaking with both cars, house stuff (AC stopped working, repair trailer floor, hot tub leaking etc...), finals for my masters...which is OVER!!! , prep for possible promotion @ work, and unexpected surgery in 2 weeks. Glad to have my truck whole again!

Thank you all for the help.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:10 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Great to hear! Heal up...

Old 06-02-2019, 09:25 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Glad you got it working proper.

At 65, I’ve had a few life situations where I’ve just sat down and wondered if the universe/God/put in whatever was testing my capacity for how much I could handle at one time, when absolutely everything, EVERTHING in my life was testing me. I once thought of the soldier in Band of Brothers who is getting shelled all around in the forest and just starts screaming. Just as the convergence happens, it goes away. You work it out, you solve the problems. And you’re better at solving issues and coping. It’s life, no need to apologize, people have had it harder in life then both of us.