6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

thoughts on coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:33 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,491 Likes on 1,728 Posts
Yes that is what I recommend.

It is the best way to switch to an ELC coolant - UNLESS you have cooling issues or if you have known contamination from say an oil cooler.

Just be aware that if you ever do get an oil cooler leaking, you need to fix the oil cooler before you use chemicals to flush. The reason is as follows .... It is true that the oil pressure is higher than the coolant when the engine is running, so the oil will flow into the coolant. However - what happens when you shut off the engine? It is possible for the coolant to be a higher pressure and you do not want water or chemicals getting into the oil.

OP - I know Ford specifies G05 coolant for our engines. This has been a LONG discussed topic. Many people are hesitant to switch to a heavy duty (EC-1 rated) ELC coolant. The simple fact is that this is what Navistar put into the engine. They built the engine and equipped their versions (VT275 and VT365) with it. It works very well. The Ford Gold (and all G05 coolants) do not hold up to extreme temperatures (like from the EGR system), and do not hold up to exhaust gasses, or mixing of different coolant types.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:39 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
My deltas were 10-12 degrees with Rotella ELC during summer and I flushed with 27 gallons of distilled then refilled with 50/50 Rotella ELC/distilled water and deltas have not gotten over 8 degrees since. Average driving 3-4 degrees.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:22 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
SmackDaddy if you refilled with 50/50 mix after a distilled flush you do not have enough antifreeze in your cooling system. After a water flush you need to add about 3.5 gallons of 100% concentrate and then top off with distilled water to get to a final mix of 50/50 because even after draining the water you still have 2 to 3 gallons in the system. I would get the concentration checked and add enough 100% to get to 50/50.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:47 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jetjockey99
SmackDaddy if you refilled with 50/50 mix after a distilled flush you do not have enough antifreeze in your cooling system. After a water flush you need to add about 3.5 gallons of 100% concentrate and then top off with distilled water to get to a final mix of 50/50 because even after draining the water you still have 2 to 3 gallons in the system. I would get the concentration checked and add enough 100% to get to 50/50.
I did it right, trust me.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:33 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic
Is that close to ambient (91 dgrees)?

What I use isn't readily available (Shell Rotella Ultra). Most people use the Red Rotella ELC. Nitrite-free is getting to be the most common and will work well.

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/prod...e-coolant.html

If/when I change, I will probably go to a Caterpillar store and get their ELC coolant.

https://puredieselpower.com/products...-52388647.html
The last time I was in the local HI parts house they had the Ultra and the red sitting next to each other.
I started to dump it and and took a look and PANICKED because I was not seeing red,

Old 05-24-2019, 04:37 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Yahiko
The last time I was in the local HI parts house they had the Ultra and the red sitting next to each other.
I started to dump it and and took a look and PANICKED because I was not seeing red,

The Ultra is a gold color. I have been told a few times to ditch it because of that, lol.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:53 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
After I got over the shock and had found out it was ok to mix I thought it reminded me of recycled beer.
At least Miller lite has a bit more color to it.

My exact thought was recycled Rainier Beer. But that is how they make Olympia beer. You
just buy the Artesians a few kegs of chilled Rainier Beer and when you do what you do drinking
that much beer they just pump it out of the now yellowed well and call it Olympia Beer.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:14 PM
Adrion Hale
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Zerex G-05 HOAT HD which is gold, with distilled water only.

Yes that is what I recommend.

It is the best way to switch to an ELC coolant - UNLESS you have cooling issues or if you have known contamination from say an oil cooler.

Just be aware that if you ever do get an oil cooler leaking, you need to fix the oil cooler before you use chemicals to flush. The reason is as follows .... It is true that the oil pressure is higher than the coolant when the engine is running, so the oil will flow into the coolant. However - what happens when you shut off the engine? It is possible for the coolant to be a higher pressure and you do not want water or chemicals getting into the oil.

OP - I know Ford specifies G05 coolant for our engines. This has been a LONG discussed topic. Many people are hesitant to switch to a heavy duty (EC-1 rated) ELC coolant. The simple fact is that this is what Navistar put into the engine. They built the engine and equipped their versions (VT275 and VT365) with it. It works very well. The Ford Gold (and all G05 coolants) do not hold up to extreme temperatures (like from the EGR system), and do not hold up to exhaust gasses, or mixing of different coolant types.
I use Zerex G-05 HD HOAT gold that’s labled as meeting or exceeding Cat ec-1 elc standards and others even without the elc lable. To be clear, elc’s are labled as such for the life of the freeze and boil over properties only, but overall the additives used for this, greatly offset the lifespan of the anti-corrosive/cavitation inhibitors used and really actually make the elc’s like the CAT elc and have a shorter lifespan coolant than the Zerex G05 Hybrid AOT. There is a lot of misinfo out there because of ingredient label requirements, or the lack there of and simple marketing ploys. Infact, CAT ec-1 rated elc contains a chemical detrimental to hoses and seals in our powerstrokes and that’s why ford uses gold but Zerex is better.

👆👆👆

Old 06-02-2019, 10:59 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tango54464
ok I was going to get about 30 gallons of distilled water, and get all the other supplies at rockauto .
the local steelership wanted about 18.00 a gal . for the coolant and 7.00 qt for lv trans fluid.
You can use the garden hose for the initial flushes. When the water looks good and clean then go to the distilled water. Will be just as good and save you a ton of distilled water. I am also against doing the VC-9 unless there's a high ect/eot differential. That could plug the oil cooler. I would use VC-9 if I was going to replace the oil cooler.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:07 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Yahiko
After I got over the shock and had found out it was ok to mix I thought it reminded me of recycled beer.
At least Miller lite has a bit more color to it.

My exact thought was recycled Rainier Beer. But that is how they make Olympia beer. You
just buy the Artesians a few kegs of chilled Rainier Beer and when you do what you do drinking
that much beer they just pump it out of the now yellowed well and call it Olympia Beer.
In the 60's and early 70's Olympia and Hamms were good beers and then they reformulated and totally screwed them up. OOPS, showing my age.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:23 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Adrion Hale
I use Zerex G-05 HD HOAT gold that’s labled as meeting or exceeding Cat ec-1 elc standards and others even without the elc lable. To be clear, elc’s are labled as such for the life of the freeze and boil over properties only, but overall the additives used for this, greatly offset the lifespan of the anti-corrosive/cavitation inhibitors used and really actually make the elc’s like the CAT elc and have a shorter lifespan coolant than the Zerex G05 Hybrid AOT. There is a lot of misinfo out there because of ingredient label requirements, or the lack there of and simple marketing ploys. Infact, CAT ec-1 rated elc contains a chemical detrimental to hoses and seals in our powerstrokes and that’s why ford uses gold but Zerex is better.

������
I have copies of both GO5 and EC-1 standards and there are potential conflicts in meeting both (Silicate and Nitrite content included). They "get away with labeling" by saying "meets or exceeds".

If you look at the Zerex GO5 Product Information sheet, it does not carry a Caterpillar approval, but it makes the "formulated to meet or exceed" statement.
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

The EC-1 rating states it is to be silicate free.

I would like to see the back-up you have on the ingredient that degrades the hoses/seals (not just a theoretical article, but one specific to the seals and hoses in a 6.0L), AND documentation showing that this is why Ford recommends it. IMO Ford recommended the Gold coolant because they sell it.

Fact is, International has specified the Caterpillar EC-1 coolant and they have almost NO issues with oil coolers plugging or coolant gelling up. I also frequent school bus sites and see their posts. I have never seen anything about early hose/seal failure. I definitely need a lot more documentation to be convinced! Now to look at GO5 coolant - do a search on 6.0L oil coolers plugging!

Zerex GO5 coolant life statement:
  • Provides protection for 5 years / 150,000 miles in light duty applications and 3 years / 300,000 miles in heavy duty applications

Cat EC-1 coolant life statement:
  • 1,000,000 km (600,000 miles) or 6 Years
Note that the CAT extender package should be added at 300k miles to maintain the corrosion (including cavitation) protection.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:36 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Adrion Hale

👆👆👆
Do what you want but I’ll stick with Rotella ELC

Old 06-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I have copies of both GO5 and EC-1 standards and there are potential conflicts in meeting both (Silicate and Nitrite content included). They "get away with labeling" by saying "meets or exceeds".

If you look at the Zerex GO5 Product Information sheet, it does not carry a Caterpillar approval, but it makes the "formulated to meet or exceed" statement.
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

The EC-1 rating states it is to be silicate free.

I would like to see the back-up you have on the ingredient that degrades the hoses/seals (not just a theoretical article, but one specific to the seals and hoses in a 6.0L), AND documentation showing that this is why Ford recommends it. IMO Ford recommended the Gold coolant because they sell it.

Fact is, International has specified the Caterpillar EC-1 coolant and they have almost NO issues with oil coolers plugging or coolant gelling up. I also frequent school bus sites and see their posts. I have never seen anything about early hose/seal failure. I definitely need a lot more documentation to be convinced! Now to look at GO5 coolant - do a search on 6.0L oil coolers plugging!

Zerex GO5 coolant life statement:
  • Provides protection for 5 years / 150,000 miles in light duty applications and 3 years / 300,000 miles in heavy duty applications

Cat EC-1 coolant life statement:
  • 1,000,000 km (600,000 miles) or 6 Years
Mark I also recall something about they already were using the gold coolant on the line and they did not want to

have a second coolant and they "felt" it would be okay. More likely the bankers are just cheap @.

The question is am I recalling the correctly.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:22 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
yeah they had come out w/ the Gold in 2002

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...coolantsEN.pdf