Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Hub cap paint codes

 
  #16  
Old 05-18-2019, 11:21 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy
NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 83,134
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
Here's the entry for 1964.

Optional chrome hub caps...

What hub cap is chrome? None, they're stainless steel.

So one has to wonder what else is amiss. Says F100/250 wheels and bumpers are painted white, but which white? Pure white, Wimbledon white or FrigidAire white?
 
  #17  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:58 AM
Mearntain's Avatar
Mearntain
Mearntain is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 340
Mearntain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
Here's the entry for 1964.

I appreciate it, that's some good info. Just curious, what manual is this coming out of? If it's in the shop manual, I must be overlooking it.
 
  #18  
Old 05-19-2019, 08:51 AM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,356
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by NumberDummy View Post
Optional chrome hub caps...

What hub cap is chrome? None, they're stainless steel.

So one has to wonder what else is amiss. Says F100/250 wheels and bumpers are painted white, but which white? Pure white, Wimbledon white or FrigidAire white?
Some here have called things chrome that were stainless steel. For example, not all horn buttons are chrome plated - some are stainless steel - not everyone knows that either. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water simply because someone at Ford wasn't positive what they were looking at.

In fact, on that same page the description of the Econoline wheels is "Optional bright-metal hub caps" which is what they should have said about the F100 and F250 series caps, too. And they did in other places, so it's a pretty common mistake to make for some.

The White for painted bumpers and grille varied slightly. If the truck were any color other than Wimbledon White then Wimbledon White was used. But if the base color was Wimbledon White then Pure White was used for the bumpers and grille.
 
  #19  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:03 AM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,356
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Mearntain View Post
I appreciate it, that's some good info. Just curious, what manual is this coming out of? If it's in the shop manual, I must be overlooking it.
It's the 1964 Ford Truck Salesman's Data Book. Total of 632 pages of information from what it says. I haven't counted them but I'll take its word for it.

They also were making changes and corrections to some information along the way and issuing change alerts. For example, when they dropped Navaho Beige and added Pagoda Green.



 
  #20  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:11 AM
Mearntain's Avatar
Mearntain
Mearntain is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 340
Mearntain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
It's the 1964 Ford Truck Salesman's Data Book. Total of 632 pages of information from what it says. I haven't counted them but I'll take its word for it.

They also were making changes to some information along the way and issuing change alerts. For example, when they dropped Navaho Beige and added Pagoda Green.



Nice, I like it, and havent seen these before. Is this something you bought or something you printed out from the internet? I wouldn't mind picking one up if they're reasonably priced, or even better if free online.
 
  #21  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:17 AM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,356
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Mearntain View Post
Nice, I like it, and havent seen these before. Is this something you bought or something you printed out from the internet? I wouldn't mind picking one up if they're reasonably priced, or even better if free online.
I don't recall exactly where I got this one. I think it might have been at a swap meet that I go to once a year up here in Monroe. Definitely bought it. Information in them says one per dealership and then you could order more if wanted as you can see. $10 for a binder full of information probably seemed like a lot of money then.
 
  #22  
Old 05-19-2019, 09:20 AM
Mearntain's Avatar
Mearntain
Mearntain is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 340
Mearntain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
I don't recall exactly where I got this one. I think it might have been at a swap meet that I go to once a year up here in Monroe. Definitely bought it. Information in them says one per dealership and then you could order more if wanted as you can see. $10 for a binder full of information probably seemed like a lot of money then.
Good stuff, $10 back then certainly would have been a bit. I'll have to keep my eye out and see if I can get lucky and come across one. I'm sure theres a bit of useful info in there. Thanks
 
  #23  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 AM
tripleframe's Avatar
tripleframe
tripleframe is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 868
tripleframe has a good reputation on FTE.tripleframe has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by TA455HO View Post
It's the 1964 Ford Truck Salesman's Data Book. Total of 632 pages of information from what it says. I haven't counted them but I'll take its word for it.
These books are a source of great technical information, info that is lacking in most 4 or 5 page brochures that dealers gave away free. In some cases, it is rather vague on details. "Argent" color in '64 is a different shade than "Argent" color in '66, but the same color name is used in these books. "Chrome" was actually stainless steel. White is a generic term in the Ford world, there were several shades used from '61-'66. Generally, Whimbeton White was the contrasting color for wheels , grills and bumpers from '64-'66, for most all exterior colors ( except special fleet colors), except when it came to Pure White. When Pure White was the exterior color, wheels grills and bumpers came Pure White. Hubcaps, that were painted white with red letters in '65-'66, were always painted Whimbleton White during '65-'66, never Pure White.
 
  #24  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 PM
TA455HO's Avatar
TA455HO
TA455HO is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,356
TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.TA455HO has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yes, I noticed they refer to the Argent as a "light gray, metallic finish" in the 1964 book but for 1966 at least they they call it a "silver metallic finish"
 
  #25  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:43 PM
instig8r63
instig8r63 is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,691
instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I know damn well Iíve seen some of those hub caps here, I just canít find them right now.
 
  #26  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 PM
Mearntain's Avatar
Mearntain
Mearntain is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 340
Mearntain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by instig8r63 View Post
I know damn well Iíve seen some of those hub caps here, I just canít find them right now.
What's that? The white painted ones?
 
  #27  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:50 PM
instig8r63
instig8r63 is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,691
instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mearntain View Post
What's that? The white painted ones?
Just that particular hub cap. I donít recall if theyíre painted I just know I have some somewhere. Iíve been trying to get a lot of this stuff organized.
 
  #28  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Mearntain's Avatar
Mearntain
Mearntain is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 340
Mearntain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by instig8r63 View Post
Just that particular hub cap. I donít recall if theyíre painted I just know I have some somewhere. Iíve been trying to get a lot of this stuff organized.
You might remember a recent thread the other week when I ended up buying a set from another forum member. That's why I'm trying to figure out the paint stuff now that I've got the new set to put on the truck
 
  #29  
Old 05-19-2019, 06:26 PM
instig8r63
instig8r63 is online now
Postmaster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,691
instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.instig8r63 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Mearntain View Post
You might remember a recent thread the other week when I ended up buying a set from another forum member. That's why I'm trying to figure out the paint stuff now that I've got the new set to put on the truck
Nice. I say paint them whatever color best compliments your truck
 
  #30  
Old 05-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Mearntain's Avatar
Mearntain
Mearntain is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 340
Mearntain is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by instig8r63 View Post
Nice. I say paint them whatever color best compliments your truck
I really like the white on metallic, as was currently on there, but my end goal is go to 100% factory with everything. I thought what I had was correct, but apparently it wasn't.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.