1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Clean out fuel rails before intalling new injectors | Injector inspection and rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 07:35 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by HD Rider
Send it all back.
OEM!
Thats impossible.
I'm poor
$14279 is $10600USD a year
I've been selling my possessions on ebay just to buy this crap
Border jumping refugees get more money than me.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:05 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Then I would send it back and reuse your original gaskets and harnesses.
Is that a fuel bowl heater? You can delete that. It's kinda worthless anyway. If it's an air intake heater, I might have an old one around I'd send you.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:49 AM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
yes its the bowl heater I hope I dont need it I'll find out soon enough I have 8 completed injectors and was going to install them today but these gaskets are a waste of my time and the place that made these's time they could have made it right for no cost.

I'm just gonna jam a flat tip in the side and bend it and mangle it till it fits tight.

Maybe I should be crimping these?
Are they supposed to be that loose?

Old 04-27-2019, 10:37 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,899 Posts
They are not loose, but they don't provide a good snap on or feedback when installing on the glow plug. I recently (about 6 months ago) installed OEM (International) gaskets and harnesses and could tell they were much higher quality than the Dorman harness I was removing that the PO had installed.

Even the International harness had me second guessing myself on the first couple of glow plug connections I made, but I soon learned that there was a bit of a bump when installed properly, not really a snap. Best way to know is to install the GP's and harnesses, then ohm test them through the connector on the harness before installing the valve cover and closing everything back up.

I suspect you will be OK with the harnesses after closing up the GP connections. I would be more concerned about the main connection to the main harness coming loose. Do everything you can to ensure that the plugs don't come loose from each other. 50 cent mod, whatever...

Even though I installed International harnesses and gaskets and had a solid snap in feeling, I still cut two quarters and installed them. Was too easy not to and it is good insurance and some of the cheapest insurance I have seen, even from Geico... (Their commercials are BS, they are expensive too)

Old 04-27-2019, 12:40 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
These are super loose.
If I plug in a glowplug and try to lift it by the wire the glowplug slides out with ease.
I'm just gonna make do I guess.
Rockauto knows these are junk, that ****'s me off.
They'll want me to pay shipping back, just **** money away like its no big deal I guess.

I looked at the quarter mod and these have a nub so it wont work unfortunatly and my original gakets are brittle and break easy so its do or die.

Old 04-27-2019, 02:13 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Perhaps look at cutting the quarter down across the top (above the gasket) and on the side so that it fits next to the "nub". Since you have the harness and gasket on your bench, it would be easy to fit the chopped quarter via trial and error. Also, this is a cheap fix that goes within your budget since you probably just grabbed two quarters from the couch or from the center console.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:11 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
I'm going to use the gaskets to get the truck running and make sure the injectors are working after rebuilding them.
Then I'm going to save up for better gaskets or something.
My original ones have cracks in the wire insulation and the clips are crumpling they're just too old to use.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Cartel
I'm going to use the gaskets to get the truck running and make sure the injectors are working after rebuilding them.
Then I'm going to save up for better gaskets or something.
My original ones have cracks in the wire insulation and the clips are crumpling they're just too old to use.
I was not trying to say you should use your old ones. I too would replace them, but see about cutting a quarter in 2, 3 or 4 places in order for it to fit and hold the clip in place. Or, just install the new poor quality gaskets and harnesses and if you have a failed bank, you know where the problem is right away.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:17 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
Well alot has happened here. No pictures, I'm sorry I was just too worried about the injectors than I was the camera like tunnel vision I had to git er done and git er done right.
The day I got the glow plugs I took my injectors that were wrapped individually in walmart bags, into the garage and 1 by 1 oiled and put the o rings on and laid them out like rib-eyes in the silver pan.
Then I laid them on the slip-tank with a cover and grabbed my bolt and can of oil and started latherin them up and getting the hole wet with my finger and dropping them in, 1 by 1.
I used a shopvac I got off cl for $10 for this job and found a beer pump and used that hose to vacuum out all the bores before I did the aforementioned tasks.

A few tips, make sure your new gasket loom is not gonna pinch or bind under the gasket and TAKE NOTE of the "house" shape of yor injector plug.
Some had the metal clip hanging on the opposite side of the connector and I spent 2 hours fiddling with that darn thing was upside down.

Also remember if you drained the oil, its awkward filling the engine with oil while having the glow plugs out.
I of course cranked the engine by hand but I'm pretty sure oil poured.

So I got the injectors in, torqued to 120 in/lbs top and bottom (top first way before) and I checked the rocker bolts they were cranked so I skipped the rest.

I turned the motor over 15 seconds, 3 times with the uvch unplugged on both sides.
Then I plugged them in and tried it.

It was coughing out the intake tube a few times and catching like the timing way too advanced during the many cranks.
It did run a minute on what sounded like 4 cylinders.
I gAve up and today went back out.

I unplugged the ICP and got it running with help from brake clean.
Then it went all 8 and held its own.

I jumped in and the pedal did nothing but I held it to the floor and to 1/2 and then 3/4 then the floor and it started to respond and now runs smooth.
My zibbix icp is still in KY so now I wait.

It feels like the injectors are all working and I am real thankful because that was a ****show for me.
So it runs but right where I started with no power, but! I have no oil in my bowl now, I hope.

I'll make a video here soon.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:22 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
"beer" pump

that flex tube with the tip was perfect to clean the cups
I tore it off and taped it to the hose

Name:  X3o6vDN.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  37.5 KB

Old 04-29-2019, 10:38 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Congratulations!

And thank you for starting and continuing this thread!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:45 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
I did not chase the rails out like I planned either.
The injectors were pretty clean and I felt maybe it was just overkill unless the injectors were really bad or the engine was out but I pussed out, sorry.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:47 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Congratulations!

And thank you for starting and continuing this thread!
hey thanks!
It runs but the coughing worried me and it still has no power but the injectors are obviously "doing something", lol.
Thats a plus

Also the glow plug connectors I ended up squishing them a bit with needle nose.
the gaskets are functioning as intended but they weren't the molded plug like I wanted and paid for and the plugs were sloppy.

I hope it doesn't meltdown my solenoid plugs thats my main concern or arc and blow my pin off inside

Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Your low power could be leaking uppipes, low fuel pressure, or low boost/boost leak.
Another possibility is the MAP sensor. You can check that with your scanner. Compare MAP sensor pressure with EBP sensor key on, engine off.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:45 AM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by HD Rider
Your low power could be leaking uppipes, low fuel pressure, or low boost/boost leak.
Another possibility is the MAP sensor. You can check that with your scanner. Compare MAP sensor pressure with EBP sensor key on, engine off.
Yes I suppose it could.
I'm gonna check that hose today and make sure its not split or collapsed inside.

Quick Reply: Clean out fuel rails before intalling new injectors | Injector inspection and rebuild