1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Clean out fuel rails before intalling new injectors | Injector inspection and rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:03 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's another exploded view:

Check plate:

Old 04-11-2019, 10:16 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
jimjokjv: I see from your diagram that it is the "fuel side." The light in my brain is still dim... but getting a little brighter...

Cartel: You were concerned about crap in the fuel side right? Well apparently crap in the fuel can cause a dry injector in the fuel side which can cause heat which can cause galling:

"The fuel side of the 7.3L fuel injector contains many more components, which are not normally considered ‘wear’ items. With proper fuel filtration, good, clean diesel fuel, and adequate fuel pressure, the fuel side of the injector can go well in excess of 400,000 miles without issue. However, ONE bad tank of diesel fuel (water, gasoline, poor filtration, etc) can immediately and permanently damage the fuel side. Particularly, the ‘plunger & barrel’ assembly, which relies on the diesel fuel to lubricate these very tight tolerance components. (Think of a piston in a cylinder bore..without piston rings…with a “gap” of only 0.0001”) Since the injector is “fired” by high pressure engine oil…any lack of lubrication inside the plunger and barrel will almost instantly cause metal transfer between these two components (galling). Once/if the fuel side of the injector is damaged, the symptoms are usually much more consistent. As in..IF “a” plunger and barrel assembly is damaged…it may be so severely galled, that any fuel that is trying to be pushed out of the nozzle, simply escapes up/past the plunger…and is not injected at all. Any time a truck has a “dead miss”…hot or cold, part throttle, or full throttle this is almost certainly a problem with the fuel side of the injector. A slightly damaged P&B assembly can, occasionally cause a rough running when HOT…since the thinner/hotter diesel fuel is thin enough to escape up past the scored/galled plunger & barrel assembly."

https://swampsmotorsports.com/files/...Diagnostic.pdf

In my case, the E350's steel fuel tank's delamination could certainly be considered "ONE bad tank of diesel fuel (water, gasoline, poor filtration, etc) can immediately and permanently damage the fuel side.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This injector is different from the rest so far

The metal looks rough and beat up and severely worn.

If you look close, the edges are all chipped and the check plate seat in the stop is badly worn.
This injector must have been replaced at some time in the past and it was a piece of crap.

Those scratches on the stop plate tell me this injector has been tampered with before.
I didn't use any abrasives on my stop plates in fear of the high pressure using a light scratch to burrow its way out.
That looks like what happened here.
This pieces need to be flat and polished, not scuffed and put back together.
At least thats what makes sense in my head.

Name:  qCoTGSr.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  381.9 KB
Name:  9U5IUru.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  353.4 KB
Name:  KgkilQj.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  317.2 KB
Name:  P2HbEM3.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  304.3 KB

Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Cartel and jimjokjv isn't possible that you have only one bad injector which was heat damaged by lack of lubrication due to lack of fuel? Before you cleaned it, did it have crap in the check valve, etc.?

I really would like to see pictures of the insides before you cleaned them.

Also does the plunger and barrel on the injector above appear to be looser than on the other(s)?

In my case, at the very least forensic disassembly of my injectors will point me to how many injectors I need to need to replace.

Edit: "Lack of fuel pressure can cause the ICM to advance timing which can (cause cylinder's to over heat)..."

Old 04-11-2019, 11:42 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Cartel and jimjokjv isn't possible that you have only one bad injector which was heat damaged by lack of lubrication due to lack of fuel? Before you cleaned it, did it have crap in the check valve, etc.?

I really would like to see pictures of the insides before you cleaned them.

Also does the plunger and barrel on the injector above appear to be looser than on the other(s)?

In my case, at the very least forensic disassembly of my injectors will point me to how many injectors I need to need to replace.
This injector tip was full of oil. The others were not.
3 more to go I'll pay more attention.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:00 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
If there was oil in the "tip" do you mean there was oil in the Nozzle Assembly item 5?
If so, would the oil have migrated there internally from the Poppet Valve item 27 through excessive clearance between the Intensifier Piston item 25 and the Piston & Valve Body item 26?
Or do you think that the oil migrated externally past the external Oil Ring on the Nut item 3?

I now know why I have been so confused.

The Interstate-McBee heui catalog which I have been referring to shows only replacement items.

It does not show all the parts in the injector.

For instance there is not one spring shown. But the videos and jimjokv and Cartel's photos show springs. One simply cannot surmise how the injector works without seeing the location of the springs.

The exploded view which jimjokjv posted shows three separate springs. (jimjokjv, can you post the link to that exploded view?)

Is it correct that the injector works like a sling shot? The Solenoid is electrified and magnetically pulls the Armature up which draws the Poppet Valve up which allows oil to flow in through where? And then the Solenoid lets go when the magnet is de-electrified and the Poppet Spring shoots the Poppet Valve down to push the oil down against the Plunger to eject the fuel through the Nozzle Assembly into the engine cylinder? Is it really only a spring which pressurizes the oil against the Plunger?

Is my understanding right?

Edit: Let me answer my own question. "NOT even close." Answer is here:

Unfortunately it is not the full video. Anyone know where the full video is posted? Or of another?

Old 04-12-2019, 09:10 PM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
I can't seem to get the .pdf file attached

Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
I have 4 injectors complete, working on #5

Old 04-13-2019, 08:21 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
Old 04-13-2019, 08:25 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks jimhokjv !
I was not familiar with MylexInternational.

Mylex International Fuel Injection Services

Old 04-13-2019, 08:40 AM
jimjokjv
More Turbo
I was desperate to find as much information as possible when rebuilding my injectors. Stumbled upon this one during that search.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:09 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Cartel
I have 4 injectors complete, working on #5
after a few days hiatus, I got #5 and #6 complete and 60% torn down and cleaned #7 today.
#8 will be waiting for some pins and possibly looking for another core as this injector pictured a few replies back has metallurgy issues.
I guess if it came down to it I could put it at the front drivers side hole for easy access but thats the last resort.
So far every diesel expert in BC has no cores.

there's a couple cheap ones on Ebay but I'm hoping to find something closer and at least someone that can "gift" me one through customs.
Ebay and their retarded customs fees is a deal-breaker.
Anyone has a good core at a resonable price let me know.
AD or AE

Old 04-18-2019, 01:38 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
ok I got another injector coming, $80 CAD shipped.
Place called Duke Point here in BC

Old 04-26-2019, 06:24 PM
Cartel
Mountain Pass
Thumbs down

I got some parts today and I'm not impressed with these gaskets.
The glow plug just falls out of the connector like there is zero grab on that connector and rockauto shows a molded plug with no connector instide but these have a flimsy connector and aren't even made correctly to hold the connector together.
You can see the gap on the clip there, you just touch it and 1 side slips out.

what frigging joke.

Name:  QR0kf07.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  284.8 KB

Old 04-26-2019, 06:40 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Send it all back.
OEM!

Quick Reply: Clean out fuel rails before intalling new injectors | Injector inspection and rebuild