7.3 up pipes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

7.3 up pipes

Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Att
New User
Att is starting off with a positive reputation.
7.3 up pipes

Hey guys, Iím in the process of replacing the up pipes in my 2001 f250. I was wondering if you would be willing to share tips and tricks on doing the job. Thanks!

Old 03-12-2019, 11:36 AM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Patience. Lots of patience.

Spray the bolts with your favorite penetrant (PB Blaster, Kroil, etc.) for a couple of day prior to the job to loosen things up.

I had my exhaust and turbo out for other reasons when I did this job which made it easier. I can't recommend what should be removed as I have not done it with the turbo in place.

The hardest part is going to be lining up the collector (affectionately referred to as the baby's butt) with the turbo. You are doing the by feel and that's where the patience comes in. Getting that alignment pin into hole is something that can take seconds, minutes, or hours. That part took me about 2-3 hours of pure frustration.

Regardless of which brand you go with here's a good write-up to get an idea of the job: https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/conte...structions.pdf

Old 03-12-2019, 02:02 PM
andym
Post Fiend
andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
I was doing a bunch of work on my truck when I did my pipes. I already had the turbo off but I did pull the downpipe and starter for easier access. With all that out of the way, I didn't find it all that challenging of a job.

I assembled the pipes/collector together and torqued it to spec with the gaskets while it was out of the truck. Then I just dropped it into place behind the motor. Saved myself a lot of time and aggravation.

I found that lining up the collector/baby's butt to the turbo to be quite easy. Once the turbo is bolted to the pedestal and the up-pipes are sitting roughly in the right place, loop a ratchet strap behind the collector and through the tow hook on the front. It doesn't need to be tight or have a lot of tension on it. Once the strap is lightly pulling on the collector and holding it up against the turbo, wiggle the collector around until the alignment pin drops into place. Then tighten it up and take the ratchet strap off. This makes a difficult job very simple.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:09 PM
Att
New User
Att is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok thanks guys! I already have the turbo out for other things. I got tired of playing with the rust bolts and just cut things out with a plasma cutter. I was just wondering about reinstalling them

Old 03-12-2019, 09:36 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Remove the turbo pedestal if you havenít already. Bolt the babyís butt and drivers side pipe together and install. Make sure the bolts are fully seated, might need to chase the threads with a tap first. If they bottom out they will break off. Then feed down the passengerside. They will not go in all together. Loosely fit manifold ends, install the bolts and nuts just donít tighten. Reinstall pedestal with new prongs and torque. Reinstall turbo with new o rings and get babyís butt lined up and clamped before torquing turbo bolts. Then finally install the exhaust and clamp. This is the way I do it for the least amount of frustration. It will still happen. Getting the babyís butt lined up and clamped sometimes is a huge pain but keeping everything loose will help that. Hope it goes well for you.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 PM
JoeLawrence73
New User
JoeLawrence73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just completed this project on a 99 F350 and it was a pain. I had to grind my bolts off and cut the passenger pipe to get it out. I pulled the turbo and pedestal. After a lot of trial and error I finally got it. I loosely connected the passenger side to the manifold. I connected the driver side to the collector and then loosely connected it to the manifold. Then I bolted the passenger side to the collector. I put the pedestal and turbo back on. I had issues getting the clamp on the turbo and the collector. There may be an easy way but I couldn't figure it out. After that I just connected everything back up and finally tightened the bolts on the manifold. I needed help because I couldn't get a wrench on both ends. I was under the truck holding the nut and my helper was in the wheel well tightening. If I would have started with that process it would have taken me about a day to do the entire project. I am not going to embarrass myself and tell you how many hours I blew trying to figure it out. I went from running zero boost to 25. I should be getting more with the turbo I have on it but I am pretty happy. I am told I should be around 40 with the Garret Powermax.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.