Sponsored by: DP Tuner

TS Chip Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 06:30 PM
Martin Torres
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TS Chip Question

I have TS Performance 6 position chip on my 2003 F350 7.3. Had some recent issues that threw a CEL each time but reader wouldn't show code while it was active or stored. I pulled the chip, reinstalled the PCM and there were no stored codes. I intentionally created a CEL and it showed the new pending codes, active codes and stored codes. Put the chip back in without clearing the codes, and again no codes showed even when I created them again. It's been installed a few years and I am happy with the tunes, just want to be able to read codes if they occur. Also, a few years ago (about the time I installed the chip) my PCM stopped grounding the glow plug relay. I wired a switch to bypass it. Today, without the chip installed, it works. Hmmmm....

Does anyone here who has or has had a TS 6 position chip know if it can stop the PCM from storing codes, stops communication with a reader, and stops the glow plug relay from working? I'm trying to find my info to make sure I have the right PCM code for this chip. Wondering if I have the wrong ones. Really considering getting it flashed as like the idea of the economy, whisper, and EBPV brake modes. Currently only use high idle, 75 and 100.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:37 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Could be the PCM pins the TS chip grips are shabby. Sometimes people get too aggressive removing the protective coating, and then the connections are iffy. Would be great to see a pic of the PCM pins. Should still have solder on there, copper showing is bad. You could improve the connections by gently adjusting the brass contacts in the chip with a toothpick. Chip itself should not cause these issues. Unless it's a clapped out mess of wires of course.

Also what are you using to pull codes? Common code readers usually don't work on the 7.3.

What is the PCM code?

If you flash the PCM it will have only the one tune. EBPV tune is not very common, most tuners shy away from it. I have a "decel" tune (aka EBPV brake) on my DP Tuner F5, works great.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:51 AM
Martin Torres
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Could be the PCM pins the TS chip grips are shabby. Sometimes people get too aggressive removing the protective coating, and then the connections are iffy. Would be great to see a pic of the PCM pins. Should still have solder on there, copper showing is bad. You could improve the connections by gently adjusting the brass contacts in the chip with a toothpick. Chip itself should not cause these issues. Unless it's a clapped out mess of wires of course.

Also what are you using to pull codes? Common code readers usually don't work on the 7.3.

What is the PCM code?

If you flash the PCM it will have only the one tune. EBPV tune is not very common, most tuners shy away from it. I have a "decel" tune (aka EBPV brake) on my DP Tuner F5, works great.
Already back together but I did adjust the tension on the chip. PCM contacts are good too. Don’t want to flash the PCM but was considering flashing the TS chip. Priced it out at DP Tuner to get the decel and it will cost as much as buying Hydra. $75 plus $25 to $50 per tune times 6 is too much for an outdated chip. For codes I have Torque, Car Gauge, and ScanGauge2. All work fine with the chip out. Won’t read codes with the chip in but it does read real time.

If it runs fine now, I’ll just do the EBPV decel mod and call it good. If I get another CEL/limp mode issue I’ll start by replacing the TS chip.