Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Questions

Old 02-19-2019, 09:18 AM
mayberry32
Senior User
mayberry32 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Tire Questions

I have an '18 F250 CC PSD that I bought last summer. It currently has around 12k miles on it. I had a 2016, which they lemon lawed and flipped me into a new truck with no money out of pocket. So, the deal was awesome. New truck came with Michelin LTX AT2's, and they ride great. I've always been a huge Michelin fanboy, and have never had a bad set. These, as always, ride wonderfully, but they look a little puny on this sized truck, and they aren't aggressive at all. I'm not looking for a mud tire. I'm 40 years old and prefer comfort over looks. However, I would like something that looks a little better on the truck, if I can find it without sacrificing ride quality. The only issue I have found with these Michelin's are that they spin from takeoff on wet asphalt, and they spin a little coming off the boat ramp with my 24' bay boat. Otherwise, it's all about looks.

I don't want to lift the truck, or even level it. I don't like messing with the engineered aerodynamics and don't want to mess up the geometry or the ride quality at all. So, I'm strictly looking at stock tires in 275/65/20, or possibly going up to 295/65/20 or 35x11.5x20. I'm looking at either the Nitto Terra Grappler or the Toyo Open Country AT2. I was also looking at the Ridge Grappler, but I've heard too many people say they only got 20,000 miles out of the tires. I know I'll get 50k out of the Michelin's and I don't want to spend twice as much on tires. So, that being said, what are your opinions on switching out the tires and which would give me the best blend of ride quality and longevity? I also don't want to change out the factory wheels. I like the looks of the wheels that came of the truck and don't see the need to spend the money to change them out.

I drive the truck as an everyday driver, and also pull a 32' travel trailer and a 24' boat. Boat and trailer weigh around 6000 lbs and travel trailer weighs in at 8500 lbs loaded. That is only about 15-20% of the mileage, max. Any thoughts or experience is appreciated.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:30 AM
Sonny Crockett
Senior User
Sonny Crockett is starting off with a positive reputation.
The best bang for you buck is the Ridge Grappler 295/65. Aggressive but not in your face. Taller than a "35" so will look better. Not wide enough to rub. Wearing out at 20K miles must have been a typo. These will last way longer than 20K. The Terra is nice and lighter. Not aggressive. I'm actually switching to them because I am going to a 37 and they don't weigh much more than my 295 Ridge Grapplers.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:36 AM
mayberry32
Senior User
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
The best bang for you buck is the Ridge Grappler 295/65. Aggressive but not in your face. Taller than a "35" so will look better. Not wide enough to rub. Wearing out at 20K miles must have been a typo. These will last way longer than 20K. The Terra is nice and lighter. Not aggressive. I'm actually switching to them because I am going to a 37 and they don't weigh much more than my 295 Ridge Grapplers.
Thanks for your response. It wasn't a typo. Buddy of mine that runs local tire shop said his son put a set of Ridge Grapplers on his F250 and got the same....at around 20,000 miles, he was near bald and needed new tires. I have no idea, that's why I'm asking. That's two people that have told me the same thing. Not too concerned with how aggressive the Terra Grapplers are. I don't take my truck off road. I need them to perform well as highway daily driving tires, not eat up mpg's, and tow well. If I need to switch into 4wd off the asphalt, I'm fine with that. I live in Georgia, so I may see snow once every few years. I just want a good looking all terrain tire that performs as close to the Michelin as I can get on the highway.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:47 AM
Sonny Crockett
Senior User
Sonny Crockett is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's crazy about the Ridge's. Mine have 13,000 and look new. For you, I'd go with the the Terra Graplers. Terra 2 I think it is.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:49 AM
mayberry32
Senior User
I know the Michelin's will be smoother riding. But, how much difference can I expect to feel at highway speeds and around town, with the Terra Grapplers? Also, what about takeoff on wet asphalt and concrete? Will that be improved, or will it possibly be worse? Just trying to get a gauge how changing tires will affect how my truck drives.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Ben Elliott is starting off with a positive reputation.

Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
That's crazy about the Ridge's. Mine have 13,000 and look new. For you, I'd go with the the Terra Graplers. Terra 2 I think it is.

i have 295/65/20 terra grapplers. I have bone stock suspension - no lift and they donít run at all.

I like them a lot and for a 35Ē are pretty quiet on the hwy. I am clocked at same speed at speedometer so thatís another plus.

I almost pulled the trigger on the ridge grapplers but last year we had 10Ē of snow in Georgia and we get ice storms too and I was pretty happy with them on my last truck so I went with the terra G2 again.

I like the 295/65/20 because they are skinner then a 35x12.5x20 which fits nicely inside the wheel well and gives it a more stock look yet still fills out the wheel wells nicely.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:54 PM
CBEllis
Senior User
CBEllis is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a new set of Ridge Grapplers 35x12.50 18's in the garage and if they only hit the 20k mark, I'm gonna be 100% pissed. My stock Goodyear's have 42k on them and they will most-likely make it to 50k with no problem. I have a feeling the shop owner's son has abused the tires and not rotated/balanced correctly...kids these days.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Originally Posted by CBEllis View Post
I have a new set of Ridge Grapplers 35x12.50 18's in the garage and if they only hit the 20k mark, I'm gonna be 100% pissed. My stock Goodyear's have 42k on them and they will most-likely make it to 50k with no problem. I have a feeling the shop owner's son has abused the tires and not rotated/balanced correctly...kids these days.

i think it will vary significantly between users. With torque now if days and with how much equipment weighs / and increased payloads- even 10 ply are going to last less then 10 years ago.

If your not towing much then nittos can last 40k or more if they are aligned/balanced correctly and rotated religiously. However if your towing 15-20k a lot I donít see many tires lasting past 40k no matter how you well you take care of them.

I am thinking 14 ply will start coming out in the next few years for trucks since they already have them for trailers. Although I have 14 ply on my trailers and I honestly donít see much difference in wear but sidewalks seem tougher

Old 02-19-2019, 01:36 PM
Badtothebones
Junior User
Badtothebones is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by mayberry32
I have an '18 F250 CC PSD that I bought last summer. It currently has around 12k miles on it. I had a 2016, which they lemon lawed and flipped me into a new truck with no money out of pocket. So, the deal was awesome. New truck came with Michelin LTX AT2's, and they ride great. I've always been a huge Michelin fanboy, and have never had a bad set. These, as always, ride wonderfully, but they look a little puny on this sized truck, and they aren't aggressive at all. I'm not looking for a mud tire. I'm 40 years old and prefer comfort over looks. However, I would like something that looks a little better on the truck, if I can find it without sacrificing ride quality. The only issue I have found with these Michelin's are that they spin from takeoff on wet asphalt, and they spin a little coming off the boat ramp with my 24' bay boat. Otherwise, it's all about looks.

I don't want to lift the truck, or even level it. I don't like messing with the engineered aerodynamics and don't want to mess up the geometry or the ride quality at all. So, I'm strictly looking at stock tires in 275/65/20, or possibly going up to 295/65/20 or 35x11.5x20. I'm looking at either the Nitto Terra Grappler or the Toyo Open Country AT2. I was also looking at the Ridge Grappler, but I've heard too many people say they only got 20,000 miles out of the tires. I know I'll get 50k out of the Michelin's and I don't want to spend twice as much on tires. So, that being said, what are your opinions on switching out the tires and which would give me the best blend of ride quality and longevity? I also don't want to change out the factory wheels. I like the looks of the wheels that came of the truck and don't see the need to spend the money to change them out.

I drive the truck as an everyday driver, and also pull a 32' travel trailer and a 24' boat. Boat and trailer weigh around 6000 lbs and travel trailer weighs in at 8500 lbs loaded. That is only about 15-20% of the mileage, max. Any thoughts or experience is appreciated.
Any reason not considering BFG KOs?

Old 02-19-2019, 01:47 PM
wrvond
Posting Guru
wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.wrvond has a very good reputation on FTE.
I had a set if Nitto Ridge Grapplers on a 2006 F150 - they were the worst tires I have ever had, bar none. They couldn't maintain traction on damp grass, on snow or ice they were downright dangerous. My truck came with Michelin's that lasted for 82,000 miles, mostly towing; I could have gotten a few more thousand out of them, I'm sure, but it's winter and I'd rather err on the side of safety. That said, I was planning on going to the BFG AT K02 tires because of their superior traction. Sadly, I stayed with the Michelin's due to the high mileage I got out of the OEM set. I say sadly because the traction of the BFG's just isn't there.
For a tire that has a more aggressive tread than the Michelin tires, I don't think the BFG's can be beat. BTW, BFG is owned by Michelin.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:30 PM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
tony m 6.7 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A friend of mine just went to Continental Terrain Contacts and so far has been able to run them through rain and snow. Really likes 'em. Quiet and handle well also according to him.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:23 PM
AMXDREAMER
Elder User
AMXDREAMER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.AMXDREAMER is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I went with 295's but in the Toyo Open Country AT2 extreme. I have over 20k miles on them so far and they still look like new. I've towed across country with them and around town daily. The 295's are a little taller than a 35" but a little narrow and have a higher tow rating than the 35. Here is a picture before I did my 1 1/2" level.

Here it is after a small level (taken last week). Still has a little rake but doesn't look like it's sagging when towing. The tires also work pretty good in the snow

Old 02-19-2019, 06:01 PM
beefrob
Freshman User
beefrob is starting off with a positive reputation.
How about the new General Grabber ATx. Anybody tried a set if these They are rated #1 on tire rack for AT tires and the reviews are good.

My interest would be traction on grass field and soft ground, tread wear and a stable tire while towing.

Any thoughts are appreciated I'm trying to decide between these, nitro ridge grappler and wrangler duratrac.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:11 PM
mayberry32
Senior User
I've had a set of General Grabbers on an old Nissan Frontier I used to own. Surprisingly, one of my favorite tires all time. But, those were highway tires and not AT's. When asking the guys at the tire shop, the Grabbers were never even mentioned. I do remember mine on my Frontier were very cushiony and floaty, providing a great ride, but not great stability for towing. But, that was a completely different tire, so I'm not sure how the AT's would compare.

I did ask about the BFG KO 2's and I was told they have a harsh ride and don't get the treadlife of other tires. Not bashing them, as I think they look awesome. But, that's just what I was told. I was steered toward the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Toyo Open Country AT2's above all others. Just can't decide which I want to put on my truck. I, by chance, saw both parked at Publix this evening on my way home, at the same time. Both looked really good. The Open Country's were much sharper than the Terra Grapplers and stood out more. I wish I could avoid a wider tire and prevent some hydroplaning, but the 295 and the 35 are wider than the stock tires I have on now.

And before anyone says it, I know I'm looking for a unicorn and you have to give up something to get something else. Just trying to find the best of all worlds for my application.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:18 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Originally Posted by mayberry32 View Post
I've had a set of General Grabbers on an old Nissan Frontier I used to own. Surprisingly, one of my favorite tires all time. But, those were highway tires and not AT's. When asking the guys at the tire shop, the Grabbers were never even mentioned. I do remember mine on my Frontier were very cushiony and floaty, providing a great ride, but not great stability for towing. But, that was a completely different tire, so I'm not sure how the AT's would compare.

I did ask about the BFG KO 2's and I was told they have a harsh ride and don't get the treadlife of other tires. Not bashing them, as I think they look awesome. But, that's just what I was told. I was steered toward the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the Toyo Open Country AT2's above all others. Just can't decide which I want to put on my truck. I, by chance, saw both parked at Publix this evening on my way home, at the same time. Both looked really good. The Open Country's were much sharper than the Terra Grapplers and stood out more. I wish I could avoid a wider tire and prevent some hydroplaning, but the 295 and the 35 are wider than the stock tires I have on now.

And before anyone says it, I know I'm looking for a unicorn and you have to give up something to get something else. Just trying to find the best of all worlds for my application.

i have both. At2 on a ran 3500. 285/70/18. And terra grapplers. Both wear well , AT2ís seem a bit louder on the hwy- terras are quieter imo on hwy.

i bought the terras because they were good on the hwy and good off road. Maybe not the best at either but pretty great all around imo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.