Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor MPG

 
  #31  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:27 PM
WE3ZS's Avatar
WE3ZS
WE3ZS is online now
World Famous Mod
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Media PA
Posts: 8,508
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by BatteriesNotIncluded View Post
Got it, will do. Last refill was to full, the receipt says it was a 35 gallon fill up. At every refill, I reset the trip odometer - a habit I've been doing for years.



Y'all are great. Really appreciate this community
Originally Posted by agsmv1 View Post
How did you come up with 4.5mpg? Hand calculated?
Originally Posted by BatteriesNotIncluded View Post
Sure is. 200 miles to my last full tank.
Originally Posted by WE3ZS View Post
You went 200 miles and then pumped 44.4 gallons of gas into the tank?...............Is your 4.5 truely hand calculated by dividing the miles driven by the gallons pumped to refill the tank? I have only once ever pumped over 44 gallons into mine and it was basically on fumes.


Originally Posted by BatteriesNotIncluded View Post
Yessir - but I'm now holding judgement as I do the same calculation on the next two full tank fill-ups. to get my 3 x average MPG.

Well, your mileage is already improving........... 200 miles divided by 35 gallons equals 5.71 MPG, that's over 20% better (actually it's 27% better!) than your initial number of 4.5 MPG. Of course, it's still horrible so we will continue to come up with ideas to help and now I'm looking forward to the numbers from the next fill up.
 
  #32  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:41 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
BatteriesNotIncluded is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 139
BatteriesNotIncluded is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, in finding that receipt it revealed a modicum of a better reality haha.

I'm looking forward to the new numbers too. Thanks Tom.
 
  #33  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:57 PM
PrescottIce's Avatar
PrescottIce
PrescottIce is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 649
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm going with either horribly plugged cats or the fuel theft theory. Watching with great interest, as other than this instance, I'm thinking V10s are a great investment.
 
  #34  
Old 02-12-2019, 06:22 PM
inthedirt
inthedirt is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 186
inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.
Do you have a locking fuel cap?
 
  #35  
Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
BatteriesNotIncluded is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 139
BatteriesNotIncluded is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by inthedirt View Post
Do you have a locking fuel cap?
I don't, but I honestly can't imagine this is the issue...

I live on a quiet street, in a small suburb.

That said, I will check my parking mode Dash Cam to see if there's any suspicious activity.
 
  #36  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:36 PM
Vinny G-the EX man's Avatar
Vinny G-the EX man
Vinny G-the EX man is offline
Senior User
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 114
Vinny G-the EX man is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by BatteriesNotIncluded View Post
I don't, but I honestly can't imagine this is the issue...

I live on a quiet street, in a small suburb.

That said, I will check my parking mode Dash Cam to see if there's any suspicious activity.
iIn my 39 years of experience in law enforcement, quite streets are the most desirable for criminals as they try not to be seen so I wouldnít automatically assume itís not happening. Do you think that the trip odometer is malfunctioning? Keep us informed, someone will solve the problem.
 
  #37  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
BatteriesNotIncluded is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 139
BatteriesNotIncluded is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by PrescottIce View Post
I'm going with either horribly plugged cats or the fuel theft theory. Watching with great interest, as other than this instance, I'm thinking V10s are a great investment.
Originally Posted by inthedirt View Post
Do you have a locking fuel cap?
Originally Posted by Vinny G-the EX man View Post

iIn my 39 years of experience in law enforcement, quite streets are the most desirable for criminals as they try not to be seen so I wouldnít automatically assume itís not happening. Do you think that the trip odometer is malfunctioning? Keep us informed, someone will solve the problem.
In the interest of ruling out possibilities, I've ordered a locking fuel cap from Amazon. Will be here in two days time.

One thing I should nominate, I can visibly see the fuel needle drop even on relatively short... ahem... excursions. Like 1/8th - 1/16th movement for a 15-20 mile journey.
 
  #38  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 PM
Flyboy1100
Flyboy1100 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ND
Posts: 716
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BatteriesNotIncluded View Post
In the interest of ruling out possibilities, I've ordered a locking fuel cap from Amazon. Will be here in two days time.

One thing I should nominate, I can visibly see the fuel needle drop even on relatively short... ahem... excursions. Like 1/8th - 1/16th movement for a 15-20 mile journey.
1/4 gone = 70mi for me or 7 gal
1/2 gone= 180mi, or 18 gal
3/4 gone= 300 miles for me, or 30 gal
7/8 gone = 380 miles, or 38gal
I'm well below E before it's empty, never tried it, most i have put in was 40, but mine is horrible throughout entire range, but it is consistent

the fuel guages suck, don't look at visible drop

also these trucks qualify for heavy truck emissions, OBD1 standards stuff. don't assume because you don't have a check engine light, everything is good. put is this way, you can have a misfire (personally ran on 8/10 for a few miles once) and NO check engine light. that can really affect MPG too.......
 
  #39  
Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 AM
BatteriesNotIncluded
BatteriesNotIncluded is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 139
BatteriesNotIncluded is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100 View Post
1/4 gone = 70mi for me or 7 gal
1/2 gone= 180mi, or 18 gal
3/4 gone= 300 miles for me, or 30 gal
7/8 gone = 380 miles, or 38gal
I'm well below E before it's empty, never tried it, most i have put in was 40, but mine is horrible throughout entire range, but it is consistent

the fuel guages suck, don't look at visible drop

also these trucks qualify for heavy truck emissions, OBD1 standards stuff. don't assume because you don't have a check engine light, everything is good. put is this way, you can have a misfire (personally ran on 8/10 for a few miles once) and NO check engine light. that can really affect MPG too.......
With that in mind, if I bought a cheap hand scanner would it show these 'no-warning codes'?
 
  #40  
Old 02-13-2019, 01:44 PM
1 Excursion camper's Avatar
1 Excursion camper
1 Excursion camper is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: chicago northwest suburbs
Posts: 2,004
1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BatteriesNotIncluded View Post
With that in mind, if I bought a cheap hand scanner would it show these 'no-warning codes'?
no! Unless it is a California emissions vehicle. Those have OBDII software. Other like my 02 run OBDI software. It will not set a misfire or check eng light. But it will flash OD if itís misfiring.

FWIW the first 1/4 tank from full will go fast due to the design of the tank. The rest of the 3/4 tank will go at the same rate.
 
  #41  
Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
BatteriesNotIncluded is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 139
BatteriesNotIncluded is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper View Post


no! Unless it is a California emissions vehicle. Those have OBDII software. Other like my 02 run OBDI software. It will not set a misfire or check eng light. But it will flash OD if itís misfiring.

FWIW the first 1/4 tank from full will go fast due to the design of the tank. The rest of the 3/4 tank will go at the same rate.
I think it is Cali emissions. It has a sticker on the inside of the hood declaring it as so.
 
  #42  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:36 PM
Flyboy1100
Flyboy1100 is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ND
Posts: 716
Flyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to allFlyboy1100 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by BatteriesNotIncluded View Post
With that in mind, if I bought a cheap hand scanner would it show these 'no-warning codes'?
need access to mode $06 data. Forscan works great with my obdlinkmx adapter

a cheap reader will read o2 data etc, but none of the more advanced stuff

when i had misfires i had no indication other than sound/lack of power/ raw fuel smell. No OD light blinking, but mine is a 2000
 
  #43  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:23 AM
96firephoenix
96firephoenix is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Greensburg, IN
Posts: 493
96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.96firephoenix has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 1 Excursion camper View Post
California emissions vehicle. Those have OBDII software. Other like my 02 run OBDI software.
Wait... what? 49state versions have obd1?
 
  #44  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:28 AM
1 Excursion camper's Avatar
1 Excursion camper
1 Excursion camper is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: chicago northwest suburbs
Posts: 2,004
1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future
Yep federal emissions on anything over 8600lbs is considered heavy duty and doesnít have the same emissions standards. I do believe todayís vehicles that has changed. But back in the early 2000ís thatís the way it was.
 
  #45  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:55 AM
WE3ZS's Avatar
WE3ZS
WE3ZS is online now
World Famous Mod
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Media PA
Posts: 8,508
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
Right, it's the OBDII platform (PCM, sensors, harnesses and under dash port) but it's running earlier OBDI software due to the weight and EPA rules at the time of build. Even a lot of inspection shops are unaware of this and will fail rigs as showing "not ready", they will never be ready with OBDI data!
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.