Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor MPG

Old 03-12-2019, 11:53 AM
BatteriesNotIncluded
Senior User
BatteriesNotIncluded is starting off with a positive reputation.
PCM is reset.

Truck is shifting more intelligently and feels like smoother acceleration too.

Fuel trims are still reading the same, however.

Filled up on the "break-in drive", putting in 37.5 gallons with 254.5 on the odometer, netting me 6.78mpg. I'm gonna give that tank the benefit of the doubt, given what the truck went through with the plug swap etc.

MAF is reading 8.7 g/sec at idle and approx 68.8 g/sec under load. I think this is about right.

Couldn't find much for O2 sensors in Forscan other than their volt readings - both of which dance wildly - I presume this is some sort of pulse signal?

The quest continues as the beast continues to drink like a Roman emperor.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:16 PM
carbon coupe
Posting Guru
carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.carbon coupe has a spectacular reputation.
I haven't read the entire thread but what fuel are you using? Where are you buying it and are you consistent in this path?

Mileage can vary a great deal by what type and grade fuel you put in this thing. Dont skimp for the few bucks a tank it takes to run the highest grade and dont buy from a crappy station/brand.

I also noticed that your plugs looked like they may be burning some coolant. Do you get any white smoke/steam from the exhaust after its all warmed up? Did you do a cylinder pressure test or a leakdown?

Just a couple of thoughts. If this was all covered, sorry for being late to the party.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:21 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
Senior User
Originally Posted by carbon coupe View Post
I haven't read the entire thread but what fuel are you using? Where are you buying it and are you consistent in this path?

Mileage can vary a great deal by what type and grade fuel you put in this thing. Dont skimp for the few bucks a tank it takes to run the highest grade and dont buy from a crappy station/brand.

I also noticed that your plugs looked like they may be burning some coolant. Do you get any white smoke/steam from the exhaust after its all warmed up? Did you do a cylinder pressure test or a leakdown?

Just a couple of thoughts. If this was all covered, sorry for being late to the party.
Appreciate you chiming in, Sir!

I have tried a variety of fuels. The tank I've just used was 91 from Shell. I'm now running regular from a whole new station (I don't think I've used the same station twice, yet)

No smoke after it's warmed up. The shop I just took it to did run a "cylinder contribution test" as they test drove it for 45 mins. All was fine.

Right now, I'm kinda stumped. I will be getting the banks headers and exhaust system on it soon (and I know I am missing two exhaust studs) ... so by the time this happens, we should be coming out of the winter blend fuel period and I'm hoping to see an increase.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Skygrasper
Junior User
Skygrasper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
As someone from southern Minnesota, here are my specs and mileage as a comparison:

2000 6.8L V10 Limited, 220k miles
Large lift (5-7 inch? dunno)
5.13 gears front and rear
37" tires
New (reman) engine, injectors, COPs, spark plugs. (Had two plug blow outs and one totaled one of my heads, decided just to replace the whole engine and just about everything connected to it)
Banks Torque Tube headers (I had the engine out, so why not throw some nicer headers on?)

The overhead console indicates that I get about 8.3 to 8.5 MPG on average going to and from work (I typically only take it on bad weather days). My trip to work involves about a 20 mile trip, 12 of which is freeway (35). Accelerating up a freeway on-ramp twice a day, to only spend 12 mile diving on it, eats away at average MPG.

On a trip a few hours long (3-4) of mostly freeway, I've seen numbers around 9.5 MPG.

When towing my heavy 30ft camper fully loaded, my mileage plummets to about 6.6 MPG.

The mileage my overhead console reads is off however - I have been unable to successfully update the computer with my larger tire size, so my speedometer is off by 10ish MPH. The one time I hand calculated my mileage, I noted it was higher than the displayed value (but I don't remember what number that was). So the real MPG is slightly higher than the numbers I listed above. I do not notice a difference in MPG between summer driving and snow covered roads (maybe my deeper gears are the cause?)

The beast:

Old 03-12-2019, 03:12 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
Senior User
Thanks for your report. Always interested to know what people are getting, especially if they're in the same state.

My overhead has never changed from 11.8MPG regardless of my driving or any other variable - and I can only but wish it was true.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:34 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.
if i am strictly in town and using 4x4 it is sub 9mpg for me. my last fill was probably 60/40 split of interstate and stop and go, both with a mix of 4x4 and idle time. netted just shy of 10.9mpg which is really my highest i have seen since last fall for "normal" useage. 2nd tank of Shell 87e0, pretty much same mpg i would get from Costco Gas 87e10. only interesting observation was i filled yesterday and just under 1/2 tank and put in 24.8gal! which is just about perfect. not sure if the specific gravity of e10 fuel is lower and the tank float doesn't work as well with e10 or what but I was a bit surprised. both tanks with e0 fuel did that

02's will vary widely, they are just narrow band sensors and indicate between 0-1.0 volts, the higher the reading the richer you are, not as useful as a wideband sensor but they are helpful nonetheless. hopefully you are seeing 0.4-0.6 which would be about perfect, if bank 1 is seeing 0.8-0.9 then it confirms that side is rich for whatever reason mentioned yesterday.

set forscan to also scan closed or open loop.

press the 2 buttons and hold to reset your MPG display

Old 03-13-2019, 10:02 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
Senior User
Got the overhead working. Never realised you had to hold both buttons ONLY on the AVG MPG screen for it to reset. My city drive this evening shower a 7.3 - 7.6mpg. I guess this is in line with what I'm actually getting so I'm slowly coming to the conclusion this is what the EX is going to give me in this part of the world.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.Flyboy1100 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by BatteriesNotIncluded View Post
Got the overhead working. Never realised you had to hold both buttons ONLY on the AVG MPG screen for it to reset. My city drive this evening shower a 7.3 - 7.6mpg. I guess this is in line with what I'm actually getting so I'm slowly coming to the conclusion this is what the EX is going to give me in this part of the world.
city kills any vehicle mpg, let alone a 7200lbs empty v10 powered beast.

Im 100 miles into my current tank, lieometer says 13.8. But 85 miles of that is interstate with a tailwind or highway at 55. It only took 2miles of city driving today to drop the display from 14.1 to 13.6.....

still curious as to if you o2 shows rich to match up with huge LTFT1

Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 AM
BatteriesNotIncluded
Senior User
Originally Posted by Flyboy1100 View Post

Stll curious as to if you o2 shows rich to match up with huge LTFT1
Which PID do I need to add exactly?

Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 AM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Which PID do I need to add exactly?
should be something with o2 in the description. Bank 1, Sensor 1(B1S1). bank 2, sensor 1(b2s1)

Sensor 1 is the one used for determining AFR, sensor 2 is located behind the cat to determine if it is working correctly.

also loop status

Old 03-15-2019, 03:43 PM
inthedirt
Senior User
inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.
Interesting. I just hauled a dual axle cargo trailer w/ATV about 3.5hrs up north so that I could trade for a Suzuki Samurai. Brought it home on the same cargo trailer. Wind was pushing me in the morning and against me coming home that afternoon, but I kept it around 70mph both directions. Elevations varied from 3200ft to 6500ft. My overhead was reading pretty much the same even though I was fighting the wind with a heavier load. Got about 12mpg each way. Haven't filled up yet, but the return trip clocked in about 330mi to that tank. This is on my 2000V10/4wd, with 285 tires, a 4in lift, and 3.73 gears. I also have the 5Star replacement y-pipe and their programmer set to 87Perf.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:52 PM
BatteriesNotIncluded
Senior User
Originally Posted by inthedirt View Post
Interesting. I just hauled a dual axle cargo trailer w/ATV about 3.5hrs up north so that I could trade for a Suzuki Samurai. Brought it home on the same cargo trailer. Wind was pushing me in the morning and against me coming home that afternoon, but I kept it around 70mph both directions. Elevations varied from 3200ft to 6500ft. My overhead was reading pretty much the same even though I was fighting the wind with a heavier load. Got about 12mpg each way. Haven't filled up yet, but the return trip clocked in about 330mi to that tank. This is on my 2000V10/4wd, with 285 tires, a 4in lift, and 3.73 gears. I also have the 5Star replacement y-pipe and their programmer set to 87Perf.
Hmmm. This is what throws me. Does city driving really knock back the MPG so much so that a highway tow will drink it under the table? That I can't believe.
I did about 20 miles highway today and 50 miles of city over past couple of days. Those 70 miles cost me a hair over 1/4 tank. Reserving judgement for this tank it's the Virgin tank since new plugs, PCM reset and other 'tunes'.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:25 PM
Flyboy1100
Elder User
Hmmm. This is what throws me. Does city driving really knock back the MPG so much so that a highway tow will drink it under the table? That I can't believe.
I did about 20 miles highway today and 50 miles of city over past couple of days. Those 70 miles cost me a hair over 1/4 tank. Reserving judgement for this tank it's the Virgin tank since new plugs, PCM reset and other 'tunes'.
yes, city kills mpg if you are going 70/30 split city/hwy then you are exact opposite of my split. The city really drags it down.

I owned a w-body regal years ago that in the city during the winter would get 14-15mpg, but take it on the interstate at 75 and would get 30mpg

Old 03-16-2019, 10:13 AM
inthedirt
Senior User
inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.inthedirt has a good reputation on FTE.
I live about 4mi from town and work for a hospital. I had been using a 1990 Ranger as a daily driver until recently. When I'm on call and responding to patients in the ER several times a night, driving the Ex to work back and forth really sucks down the fuel. For that reason, I bought the Samurai to help with my local fuel bill. The Ex was purchased primarily as a family hauler and dedicated tow rig. Since my son got his driver's license about 45 days ago, he's been driving his Ranger daily which meant I couldn't take it to work anymore. Now the Ex is parked again until it is needed to haul the whole family or hitch up to our camp trailer. On the open road, I don't really notice a big difference in MPG when towing or not. However, my trailers aren't that big. If I had a 30ft unit with slides, that would be different. The attached pic was taken in July 2017 when I still had the big lift and 35s on it, without a programmer or exhaust mods. I still got 11.5MPG on a 800mi road trip to our favorite camping spot in Idaho at over 10k ft elevation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.