Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've nearly given up hope on my first and (currently) only truck!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 PM
DTexUS
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by torq'ta 5 8
DTexUS I admire your will power!!
Thanks after a year of failing all i can do is try again. Ive got a lot of time invested in this truck, and while dumb, i dont plan on stopping until i see this thing going at least 70. I probably shouldve gotten a different truck along time ago. But its become very improtant to me that i succeed with this thing. First project ive done that included pretty much alk the males in my direct family. Im not just trying to get it to run for me. Im trying to get it to drive for all of us who busted knuckles on it. Plus transmission is the only problem on this thing, worst case i get a c6. I just dont wanna be the person who throws a perfectly good truck into a salvage yard because of one problem. I dont know if ive posted pics of the truck. That might be a good idea to give people an idea of what im workin with. Thanks for all the help and support through this project!

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-19-2019, 07:44 PM
DTexUS
Cross-Country
PICs of the truck

Basic side photo. Nice exhaust to match the truck color

Just a pic of the back of the truck. Planning on getting a rollpan.

Furd Racing Cover

I didnt paint this truck, the guy i bought it from did a not to shabby spray paint job

Purrty engine. I know i know i need an air cleaner

Another basic side photo. Notice the body is in pretty good shape

Pioneer speakers for mostly pioneer parts

Got some retro boombox speakers in the back. They actually sound pretty dang nice. Got them from my great grandmother, 1980s hardware for a 90s truck.

Old dome light just kept blowing fuses. Retrofitted perfectly (Im an apprentice electrician, its what i do xD)

I assume this is the correct flexplate (FRA - 205)

Depth seem correct?

All the gauges work. And the lights. Dumb check engine

Gotta fancy flip up screen radio. To bad the trim wont let the screen rise up. Thats why its partially out at the moment.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:50 PM
DTexUS
Cross-Country
Update:

Transmission is in the core department. Ordered it a month ago, so if you need a transmission fast dont go to monster.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:04 PM
DTexUS
Cross-Country
Woohoo!!

So threw the tranny in today, with the correct flexplate, and fixed some other issues I noticed. Took it for a test drive... and I have 4 gears!! Thanks for the help, and a special thanks to those who pointed out the flexplate issue. Couldn't have done it without the help. Now I ain't out of high water yet. The 2-3 shift requires I let off the gas a little bit, what's up with that? With the gauge tool my TV pressure is 32, which I was told is perfect. So is it like a break in kind of thing? Maybe something with the package I got in this transmission. It sometimes will shift fine so I think it's just a break in kind of thing.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:00 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts
The 2-3 shift requires I let off the gas a little bit, what's up with that? With the gauge tool my TV pressure is 32, which I was told is perfect.
First thing on the AOD when you have such a shifting problem is disconnect the TV cable and see if it changes the shift points. The TV cable adjustment on the AOD is sometimes very sensitive.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:55 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice work getting the truck fixed! When I was your age I had similar challenges with an old truck I had. Glad you stuck with it, it says a lot about you. Great determination!

As for your shifting issue, if it seems to be more than a break in or tv adjustment, I'd talk to monster before tinkering on the rebuilt tranny. You could void the warranty. But also, they may have some good tech tips to get it dialed in and they may be simple things to do. As it is a fresh rebuild from them I am sure they will want you to be happy with it. They probably see issues we can't imagine with the volume they probably do. I'm thinking they would be a good resource.

I have a 95 with a 5.0 auto, I drive it daily. Personally, I hate the automatic. The gearing sucks, and it shifts crappy as most of them like this do. Any I've driven anyway. If mine gives up I might swap to a 5 speed. If it keeps working, it will keep working. The auto trans is on notice. lol

Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 PM
DTexUS
Cross-Country
Fluid Level Maybe?

I contacted monster (I have no warranty on this transmission, would've costed me 500 more. I feel pretty confident in my ability to rebuild it now I tore a couple of the old ones apart and it's not as intimidating as I thought). Well anyway I checked fluid level today and it is a little overfilled, maybe a half a quart or a little more. I am gonna drain a little out (I am curious to see the fluid also, the other transmissions had black fluid in a matter of minutes after starting). I did some more research and I think I need to advance the throttle pressure a bit, with the gauge tool I am gonna try and hit 36 to accommodate the shift kit. I am thinking thatll fix it, also quick question when I am easy on the throttle should it shift to the next gear around 1800 rpm? Or should it be less. (I am thinking less which is another reason to advance the pressure). Let me know your thoughts! (Figured I'd ask the enthusiasts while I wait for a response from monster) Thanks!

Old 06-22-2019, 03:27 PM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Seems like after a transmission rebuilder like monster did their thing that it should be alright. I didn't realize you can even get one without warranty.
I've been into an auto tranny before as well. They aren't that bad, but at the same time don't wear out fast enough to need to keep opening them up. Hopefully you don't need to. I wouldn't get too worried about the rpm it shifts at as long as it's not out of whack crazy. The whole idea of an automatic us that you put it in "Duh" and drive it. Lol don't overthink it! If it moves and shifts decent it should be alright. I don't have a tach but I can tell you that my auto in my 95 shifts at a pretty low rpm unless you are getting after it. 1st to 2nd is real quick without my foot in it pretty good. I personally think these transmissions suck but that's just me. They make the truck suck a dog. If I don't push the od button at speed limits of under 55 all it does is bog down, upshift, bog down etc. On w 65mph road it's fine. Otherwise it's just annoying. With poorly geared or poorly programmed. But, it works so I drive it as is. I could spend a lot of time and money rebuilding everything and end up with the same result. I'll wait until it stops moving and then deal with it. I wouldn't have bought an automatic truck but I got too good a deal to pass up.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:02 AM
fuelsmoke1
More Turbo
Now that you've had a few days to run the truck around, how's that monster transmission working for you? Hopefully you still have all 4 gears and the shifting has improved.
My 95 just had a weird issue that I am thinking will lead to a failed transmission. I was backing up on my property, just slightly uphill and reverse just totally disengaged. I thought maybe I didn't have the shifter in correct position, maybe partway between reverse and neutral, but it was totally in reverse. I revved it slightly, nothing. I put it in neutral and back to reverse and away we go. I have about 138k on my truck, reverse and forward have been a little slow to engage. I think reverse is more noticeable but either way it won't just lock in when you shift into a gear.
Mind if I ask what Monster charged to rebuild your transmission? I might be headed that direction!

Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 AM
DTexUS
Cross-Country
So

Originally Posted by fuelsmoke1
Now that you've had a few days to run the truck around, how's that monster transmission working for you? Hopefully you still have all 4 gears and the shifting has improved.
My 95 just had a weird issue that I am thinking will lead to a failed transmission. I was backing up on my property, just slightly uphill and reverse just totally disengaged. I thought maybe I didn't have the shifter in correct position, maybe partway between reverse and neutral, but it was totally in reverse. I revved it slightly, nothing. I put it in neutral and back to reverse and away we go. I have about 138k on my truck, reverse and forward have been a little slow to engage. I think reverse is more noticeable but either way it won't just lock in when you shift into a gear.
Mind if I ask what Monster charged to rebuild your transmission? I might be headed that direction!
Sorry for taking so long, my monster ran me 1300 but it was on sale. I did figure out the letting off issue. Well it wasn't an issue at all, I just had a lead foot, and to little patience. Everything transmission wise is great, shifts perfectly. Now I have to tackle a decently big oil leak. As far as monster goes I'd buy from them again, just not if I need a transmission in a hurry, took a while just to get the order processed.