6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How Far To Go...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 09:33 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

I appreciate the insight. Reading the horror stories about collapsed lifters and needle bearings trashing an engine I guess I got spooked...I should be used to it by now because I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into when I bought a 6.0!
If I could get Jared at KDD to return a call I’d be a little more motivated to buy his heads but I’m not dropping that kind of coin on someone’s product without a little more information. I know he’s up to his eyeballs in heads in the machine shop but that’s all because of guys that buy his heads. I’ve read enough on them on the powerstroke.org forum to make a man cross-eyed. I’d rather buy his o-ringed iron heads than a remanufactured set from anywhere else but I need a few minutes of his time to confirm a few things...
Same. I attempted phone calls. He just doesn't do it. You're better off getting a hold of him through Facebook, which I don't do. So I did the next best thing and ordered my head through KCTurbos. They were great. Even kept us that had orders informed about production due to the storm at the time down there. And I got them for the same price. The heads were drop shipped directly from KDD.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:49 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

I’m trying to decipher your message...haha
I think replacing lifters while I’m doing all this would be a good idea but if I pull them and they are in fine shape I still don’t think I’ll leave them. It’s not my style.
Got it, that's why I have a new cam.

I wasn't trying to code. I spend a few days searching and reading through SAE papers and the work of engineers getting their degrees with research work. There's a little investigation on roller lifter failure, but a lot on cam lobe failure. I first became a member of SAE in the early '80s and worked on a number of presentations to committees over 3 decades. You only do papers about problem areas. And there a lot of work on the fatiguing of the lobe surfaces resulting in pitting and surface fracture. A rough road beats the hell out of rollers and the surfaces the needle bearings contact develop brinelling. When I looked at forums and Google for lifter failures, on adjacent lobes of failed lifters/lobes you can see the pitting, surfaces just popping out. My own cam had pitted, although the lobes and rollers had not failed. This cam had 75k on it, although I believe it was a resurfaced cam from the motor rebuilder.

Not saying there isn't a failure of the roller and its bearings, but I think it's being seen as the problem more then it should be. The only image that's my cam has my micrometer shown in it.

So my suggestion is even if you decide to do an in-cab head swap, pull the lifter you can even if you are not changing them and get a $40 bore scope down the bores so you can inspect the lobes you can see. You can also inspect the rear lobes if you pull the HPOP cover and fit the borescope down there. Pull the pump and you can see more.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:50 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Same. I attempted phone calls. He just doesn't do it. You're better off getting a hold of him through Facebook, which I don't do. So I did the next best thing and ordered my head through KCTurbos. They were great. Even kept us that had orders informed about production due to the storm at the time down there. And I got them for the same price. The heads were drop shipped directly from KDD.
How do people expect to run a business through Facebook and not phone calls? He emailed me last Monday and said he’d call me Tuesday and never did. Anyone that wants thousands of dollars for a product better expect to talk on the phone with customers now and then. Maybe his heads are so good he doesn’t need to talk on a phone. Not everyone does Facebook!

Old 01-21-2019, 12:52 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Got it, that's why I have a new cam.

I wasn't trying to code. I spend a few days searching and reading through SAE papers and the work of engineers getting their degrees with research work. There's a little investigation on roller lifter failure, but a lot on cam lobe failure. I first became a member of SAE in the early '80s and worked on a number of presentations to committees over 3 decades. You only do papers about problem areas. And there a lot of work on the fatiguing of the lobe surfaces resulting in pitting and surface fracture. A rough road beats the hell out of rollers and the surfaces the needle bearings contact develop brinelling. When I looked at forums and Google for lifter failures, on adjacent lobes of failed lifters/lobes you can see the pitting, surfaces just popping out. My own cam had pitted, although the lobes and rollers had not failed. This cam had 75k on it, although I believe it was a resurfaced cam from the motor rebuilder.

Not saying there isn't a failure of the roller and its bearings, but I think it's being seen as the problem more then it should be. The only image that's my cam has my micrometer shown in it.

So my suggestion is even if you decide to do an in-cab head swap, pull the lifter you can even if you are not changing them and get a $40 bore scope down the bores so you can inspect the lobes you can see. You can also inspect the rear lobes if you pull the HPOP cover and fit the borescope down there. Pull the pump and you can see more.

I appreciate that advice, I’ll do that if I don’t get crazy and just buy a short block. I’m tired of fooling with this thing already.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:29 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I typically lose interest at about 9 months. People who know me, work or home, have noticed and have mentioned It must have been my initial training. The last two secretaries I had over 15 years as part of the assignment was to kick butt after that period. I pulled this motor Oct 2017 with the expectation of flipping it in 2 to 3 weeks. It’s been a well of depression of bad choice and a money pit compared to my expectations. If yours is an OE motor at your mileage my only concern of the short block would be the cam, which is why I mentioned checking it and choose the direction from there.

I approached this all wrong, buying and fixing things along the way when I should have fully disassembled a remanufactured motor the first few days. At that point, a remanufactured short block from a reputable source, not Ford Motor Company, would have been the most cost-effective and kept me in the sweet spot of motivation. Everything on this motor has generated signs from a guardian angel to not continue. It took three try’s to get a good cam, and the third from Colt Cam still required work to make it right. The four places that should have been a no brainer to do the simple task of flipping the gear were no go, so I had to buy a press for less than a minutes work. One moving, one closing it’s doors, one refusing and the last on vacation for two weeks. Who the hell has four shops that can’t or won’t flip something as simple as a gear? Plus life has gotten in the way too. It’s been an unmotivating journey.

But, I have just a pitiful example of engine rebuilding.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:08 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I typically lose interest at about 9 months. People who know me, work or home, have noticed and have mentioned It must have been my initial training. The last two secretaries I had over 15 years as part of the assignment was to kick butt after that period. I pulled this motor Oct 2017 with the expectation of flipping it in 2 to 3 weeks. It’s been a well of depression of bad choice and a money pit compared to my expectations. If yours is an OE motor at your mileage my only concern of the short block would be the cam, which is why I mentioned checking it and choose the direction from there.

I approached this all wrong, buying and fixing things along the way when I should have fully disassembled a remanufactured motor the first few days. At that point, a remanufactured short block from a reputable source, not Ford Motor Company, would have been the most cost-effective and kept me in the sweet spot of motivation. Everything on this motor has generated signs from a guardian angel to not continue. It took three try’s to get a good cam, and the third from Colt Cam still required work to make it right. The four places that should have been a no brainer to do the simple task of flipping the gear were no go, so I had to buy a press for less than a minutes work. One moving, one closing it’s doors, one refusing and the last on vacation for two weeks. Who the hell has four shops that can’t or won’t flip something as simple as a gear? Plus life has gotten in the way too. It’s been an unmotivating journey.

But, I have just a pitiful example of engine rebuilding.
I know the feeling

Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Oh, and the clear coat is peeling my roof and hood.