6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How Far To Go...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:16 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
How Far To Go...

Just rolled over 180,500 miles on my 6.0 Excursion and I knew I had a slight head gasket leak since I got it at 150,000 miles. I’ve dumped almost $15k in parts alone since then and now it’s about time to weigh my options on what to do next...I can hear a slight lifter tick but she runs great other than the head gasket(s) pressurizing coolant.

Replace heads with Kill Devil Diesel O-ringed heads and Felpro head gaskets with the cab on

Pull the motor, replace lifters and pans, re-seal front and rear covers

Pull the motor, replace lifters/pans, re-seal rear cover, upgrade to front cover with 100mm water pump and replace LPOP

Pull the motor and have it rebuilt then do above

Replace motor with new long block with stage 1 Colt cam and o-ringed Kill Devil Diesel iron heads

Other recommendations for a 6.0 that’s not a daily driver but I need to be dependable and last another decade or more...light towing and some longer road trips pulling my small poling skiff (I’m a part time fishing guide)...

Old 01-19-2019, 08:28 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Slight lifter tick....... been there.

I have my own little money pit flung all over my garage.

If you think it's a lifter tick, it has to come out and the cam inspected. Then weigh your options.

The larger water pump on later models was for more coolant through the larger exhaust flow-through of the second generation of EGR cooler.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:15 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Yessir that’s the problem! I don’t have a whole lot of time to pull the motor and do a bunch of tear down and inspection of parts that might look fine but end up failing in no telling how long from now. I either need to install new heads and gaskets and see how far she takes me, do a little more and pull the motor to replace all the lifters, have a full rebuild done or just buy a long block and send in my core. It’s a tough decision. My lifter tick might not even be that, it’s just what Charlie Fish at KC Turbos heard when I sent him a video of my truck idling. 180k on a 6.0 that’s been taken care of isn’t a lot of miles. I’d like to hear more opinions. I’m sure most guys would just drop heads and gaskets on it and drive it until it dies but I really don’t want that day to be even a couple of years from now. A full rebuild or long block swap sounds better to me. If I go that route I need a reputable shop to get it from too.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:51 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Mine was referred as an injector tick, its a deep hole.

For me, the plan was pop one head and replace the lifter. That turned into both heads removed, fixing problems, finding more problems, then finding more problems., finding more problems..... On and on.

The process should have been almost full teardown and assess but I was trying to do this with the least expense, thinking things can't be that bad. In hindsight, a replacement short lock would have been better at the least in time if not cost. I don't want to total this up. What you are saying, a long block from Ashville or Kill Devil, or whomever you choose IMO would be best.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:56 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Someone listening to a video could easily mis-diagnose it as a lifter tick when it could actually be just an exhaust leak on an up pipe or a manifold port for example.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Someone listening to a video could easily mis-diagnose it as a lifter tick when it could actually be just an exhaust leak on an up pipe or a manifold port for example.
I don’t really hear any odd ticks...

Old 01-20-2019, 12:35 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
I don't hear anything suspicious but it could sound way different being there.
You could always pull the valve covers and inspect valve train for cracked rockers, bent pushrods, collapsed lifters, ect...
Personally, since you plan on heads anyways, I would inspect everything as it comes apart for the new heads. If you find something then deal with it. You could always pull the engine later.
I don't find it bothersome working on it with the engine in the frame. I can have one head off and starting on the second probably before some would have the engine out. Removing the drivers side engine mount and using a jack to raise or lower it to get the clearance is sufficient and works perfectly for me. Yanking the engine is alot more work and more opportunities for things to go wrong to me so I don't do it. But that's me. I guess some of my best work is laying down................. across a radiator!

Old 01-20-2019, 01:11 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I listened to it on my Mac and do not hear any ticking by my definition.

Here is my metallic tick, mostly heard around 0:20+.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:19 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
I don't hear anything suspicious but it could sound way different being there.
You could always pull the valve covers and inspect valve train for cracked rockers, bent pushrods, collapsed lifters, ect...
Personally, since you plan on heads anyways, I would inspect everything as it comes apart for the new heads. If you find something then deal with it. You could always pull the engine later.
I don't find it bothersome working on it with the engine in the frame. I can have one head off and starting on the second probably before some would have the engine out. Removing the drivers side engine mount and using a jack to raise or lower it to get the clearance is sufficient and works perfectly for me. Yanking the engine is alot more work and more opportunities for things to go wrong to me so I don't do it. But that's me. I guess some of my best work is laying down................. across a radiator!
I’m not scared to use that method to pull the heads but at 180k I’m almost dead set on replacing lifters which requires pulling the motor to remove the rears unless you drop the transmission and remove the rear cover with the engine in.
I just popped the hood and listened and don’t hear any odd noises either.
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I listened to it on my Mac and do not hear any ticking by my definition.

Here is my metallic tick, mostly heard around 0:20+.

https://youtu.be/ONLXPvEnkjE
Yessir your noise was definitely well defined!

Old 01-20-2019, 02:29 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I...... I can have one head off and starting on the second probably before some would have the engine out. .......
Dude, you could have had your entire truck disassembled and put back together by the time I had the engine out.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:22 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Dude, you could have had your entire truck disassembled and put back together by the time I had the engine out.
Necessity sets the pace.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:34 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

I’m not scared to use that method to pull the heads but at 180k I’m almost dead set on replacing lifters which requires pulling the motor to remove the rears unless you drop the transmission and remove the rear cover with the engine in.
I just popped the hood and listened and don’t hear any odd noises either.
When I did mine and installed the KDD o-ringed heads it had 185k or there abouts. I gathered my parts including new Motorcraft lifters. Upon inspection of the front 2 sets I was able to check they looked and felt fine. Not a mark on anything. So I just swapped the front 2 sets. Right or wrong it is my truck and I already had the old ones with the new ones full of oil to go in. With the miles I've seen these go with original lifters I'm not scared. It turns a wheel everyday practically and always gets serviced timely and with synthetics along with other precautionary repairs and mods. If the lifter "Gods" pull my number then I'll deal with it.
But by all means go for it. I'm not trying to persuade you either way. I just don't think it's an absolutely necessary IMO.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:07 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
When I did mine and installed the KDD o-ringed heads it had 185k or there abouts. I gathered my parts including new Motorcraft lifters. Upon inspection of the front 2 sets I was able to check they looked and felt fine. Not a mark on anything. So I just swapped the front 2 sets. Right or wrong it is my truck and I already had the old ones with the new ones full of oil to go in. With the miles I've seen these go with original lifters I'm not scared. It turns a wheel everyday practically and always gets serviced timely and with synthetics along with other precautionary repairs and mods. If the lifter "Gods" pull my number then I'll deal with it.
But by all means go for it. I'm not trying to persuade you either way. I just don't think it's an absolutely necessary IMO.
I appreciate the insight. Reading the horror stories about collapsed lifters and needle bearings trashing an engine I guess I got spooked...I should be used to it by now because I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into when I bought a 6.0!
If I could get Jared at KDD to return a call I’d be a little more motivated to buy his heads but I’m not dropping that kind of coin on someone’s product without a little more information. I know he’s up to his eyeballs in heads in the machine shop but that’s all because of guys that buy his heads. I’ve read enough on them on the powerstroke.org forum to make a man cross-eyed. I’d rather buy his o-ringed iron heads than a remanufactured set from anywhere else but I need a few minutes of his time to confirm a few things...

Old 01-20-2019, 06:33 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I'm not of the opinion it's always the lifter that goes south. But that's a decision you have to make.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:56 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
I'm not fo the opinion it's always the lifter that goes south. But that's a decision you have to make.
I’m trying to decipher your message...haha
I think replacing lifters while I’m doing all this would be a good idea but if I pull them and they are in fine shape I still don’t think I’ll leave them. It’s not my style.

Quick Reply: How Far To Go...