Sponsored by:

Swivel Captain's Chairs

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 02:13 PM
sideburnie
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Swivel Captain's Chairs

Has anybody found an off-the-shelf-ish solution for swiveling captains chairs / driver & passenger seats in an Excursion? I see them for E-series vans, but I'm assuming the seats are different.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It work on vans because there is nothing between the front seats to interfere with the range of motion. On a truck there is either a console or jump seat so no room to swivel.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:58 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
The only swivel bases I have seen also had drop downs. They are made for mobility upfitting and not cheap.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Sprinter community is big on those aftermarket swivels - maybe take a look at a Sprinter upfitter or forum?

Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 PM
sideburnie
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
The Sprinter community is big on those aftermarket swivels - maybe take a look at a Sprinter upfitter or forum?
Will do.

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
It work on vans because there is nothing between the front seats to interfere with the range of motion. On a truck there is either a console or jump seat so no room to swivel.
Yeah, I was gonna take out the center console. I still might I think. I guess my use case is pretty different from typical having converted it into a two-seater camping rig...

Originally Posted by ford390gashog
The only swivel bases I have seen also had drop downs. They are made for mobility upfitting and not cheap.
Bummer.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:56 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sideburnie
Will do.

Yeah, I was gonna take out the center console. I still might I think. I guess my use case is pretty different from typical having converted it into a two-seater camping rig...

Bummer.
Love to see some pictures of your camping rig.

Old 01-18-2019, 04:39 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Originally Posted by sideburnie

I have considered that, but if I lost my console, where would that huge pile of stuff I never use go to?

My primary reason for switching to an immense SUV from a pickup with a camper shell is alternate access to the boudoir - with a motorcycle carrier on the back, access is a huge ordeal on a pickup... and urban stealth camping virtually impossible. With the Ex, I can just crawl in back, or access from the second row doors. When I get old enough that crawling over the console gets tedious, I may have to go the Sprinter route. Not like that's a bad thing, except for the expense.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:06 PM
sideburnie
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by copsey
Love to see some pictures of your camping rig.
Thanks! Once It's all buttoned up I'll probably take some pics and post 'em.

Originally Posted by PrescottIce
I have considered that, but if I lost my console, where would that huge pile of stuff I never use go to?

My primary reason for switching to an immense SUV from a pickup with a camper shell is alternate access to the boudoir - with a motorcycle carrier on the back, access is a huge ordeal on a pickup... and urban stealth camping virtually impossible. With the Ex, I can just crawl in back, or access from the second row doors. When I get old enough that crawling over the console gets tedious, I may have to go the Sprinter route. Not like that's a bad thing, except for the expense.
Couldn't agree more! That said, it would be nice to be able to stand up inside... But it's really nice to have something that is already so capable in stock-ish form. That's why I shied away from a sprinter.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:40 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Yep. I still like to hit some roads that are less than Sprinter-friendly, both in terrain and overhead clearance. I'll probably never outgrow the desire, but the time will come when my ability to self-extricate is degraded to the point that the risk outweighs the reward... then it's 4x4 Diesel Sprinter time and view those mountains from afar, but in comfort. Kitchen, running water, and an aux heater will eventually be welcome additions.

The following users liked this post: