Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Swivel Captain's Chairs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1569348-swivel-captains-chairs.html)

sideburnie 01-17-2019 02:13 PM

Swivel Captain's Chairs

Has anybody found an off-the-shelf-ish solution for swiveling captains chairs / driver & passenger seats in an Excursion? I see them for E-series vans, but I'm assuming the seats are different.

Thanks!

Sam I Am 01-17-2019 03:29 PM

It work on vans because there is nothing between the front seats to interfere with the range of motion. On a truck there is either a console or jump seat so no room to swivel.

ford390gashog 01-17-2019 03:58 PM

The only swivel bases I have seen also had drop downs. They are made for mobility upfitting and not cheap.

PrescottIce 01-17-2019 09:10 PM

The Sprinter community is big on those aftermarket swivels - maybe take a look at a Sprinter upfitter or forum?

sideburnie 01-17-2019 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by PrescottIce (Post 18424953)
The Sprinter community is big on those aftermarket swivels - maybe take a look at a Sprinter upfitter or forum?

Will do.

Originally Posted by Sam I Am (Post 18424311)
It work on vans because there is nothing between the front seats to interfere with the range of motion. On a truck there is either a console or jump seat so no room to swivel.

Yeah, I was gonna take out the center console. I still might I think. I guess my use case is pretty different from typical having converted it into a two-seater camping rig...

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 18424354)
The only swivel bases I have seen also had drop downs. They are made for mobility upfitting and not cheap.

Bummer.

copsey 01-18-2019 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by sideburnie (Post 18425191)
Will do.

Yeah, I was gonna take out the center console. I still might I think. I guess my use case is pretty different from typical having converted it into a two-seater camping rig...

Bummer.

Love to see some pictures of your camping rig.

PrescottIce 01-18-2019 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by sideburnie (Post 18425191)

I have considered that, but if I lost my console, where would that huge pile of stuff I never use go to? :D

My primary reason for switching to an immense SUV from a pickup with a camper shell is alternate access to the boudoir - with a motorcycle carrier on the back, access is a huge ordeal on a pickup... and urban stealth camping virtually impossible. With the Ex, I can just crawl in back, or access from the second row doors. When I get old enough that crawling over the console gets tedious, I may have to go the Sprinter route. Not like that's a bad thing, except for the expense.

sideburnie 01-20-2019 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by copsey (Post 18425451)
Love to see some pictures of your camping rig.

:) Thanks! Once It's all buttoned up I'll probably take some pics and post 'em.

Originally Posted by PrescottIce (Post 18426683)
I have considered that, but if I lost my console, where would that huge pile of stuff I never use go to? :D

My primary reason for switching to an immense SUV from a pickup with a camper shell is alternate access to the boudoir - with a motorcycle carrier on the back, access is a huge ordeal on a pickup... and urban stealth camping virtually impossible. With the Ex, I can just crawl in back, or access from the second row doors. When I get old enough that crawling over the console gets tedious, I may have to go the Sprinter route. Not like that's a bad thing, except for the expense.

Couldn't agree more! That said, it would be nice to be able to stand up inside... But it's really nice to have something that is already so capable in stock-ish form. That's why I shied away from a sprinter.

PrescottIce 01-20-2019 05:40 PM

Yep. I still like to hit some roads that are less than Sprinter-friendly, both in terrain and overhead clearance. I'll probably never outgrow the desire, but the time will come when my ability to self-extricate is degraded to the point that the risk outweighs the reward... then it's 4x4 Diesel Sprinter time and view those mountains from afar, but in comfort. Kitchen, running water, and an aux heater will eventually be welcome additions.