Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swivel Captain's Chairs

Old 01-17-2019, 03:13 PM
sideburnie
Freshman User
sideburnie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Swivel Captain's Chairs

Has anybody found an off-the-shelf-ish solution for swiveling captains chairs / driver & passenger seats in an Excursion? I see them for E-series vans, but I'm assuming the seats are different.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
It work on vans because there is nothing between the front seats to interfere with the range of motion. On a truck there is either a console or jump seat so no room to swivel.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:58 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
The only swivel bases I have seen also had drop downs. They are made for mobility upfitting and not cheap.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:10 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
The Sprinter community is big on those aftermarket swivels - maybe take a look at a Sprinter upfitter or forum?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:55 AM
sideburnie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by PrescottIce View Post
The Sprinter community is big on those aftermarket swivels - maybe take a look at a Sprinter upfitter or forum?
Will do.

Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
It work on vans because there is nothing between the front seats to interfere with the range of motion. On a truck there is either a console or jump seat so no room to swivel.
Yeah, I was gonna take out the center console. I still might I think. I guess my use case is pretty different from typical having converted it into a two-seater camping rig...

Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
The only swivel bases I have seen also had drop downs. They are made for mobility upfitting and not cheap.
Bummer.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:56 AM
copsey
Senior User
copsey has a great reputation on FTE.copsey has a great reputation on FTE.copsey has a great reputation on FTE.copsey has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by sideburnie View Post
Will do.

Yeah, I was gonna take out the center console. I still might I think. I guess my use case is pretty different from typical having converted it into a two-seater camping rig...

Bummer.
Love to see some pictures of your camping rig.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:39 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by sideburnie View Post

I have considered that, but if I lost my console, where would that huge pile of stuff I never use go to?

My primary reason for switching to an immense SUV from a pickup with a camper shell is alternate access to the boudoir - with a motorcycle carrier on the back, access is a huge ordeal on a pickup... and urban stealth camping virtually impossible. With the Ex, I can just crawl in back, or access from the second row doors. When I get old enough that crawling over the console gets tedious, I may have to go the Sprinter route. Not like that's a bad thing, except for the expense.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:06 PM
sideburnie
Freshman User
Originally Posted by copsey View Post
Love to see some pictures of your camping rig.
Thanks! Once It's all buttoned up I'll probably take some pics and post 'em.

Originally Posted by PrescottIce View Post
I have considered that, but if I lost my console, where would that huge pile of stuff I never use go to?

My primary reason for switching to an immense SUV from a pickup with a camper shell is alternate access to the boudoir - with a motorcycle carrier on the back, access is a huge ordeal on a pickup... and urban stealth camping virtually impossible. With the Ex, I can just crawl in back, or access from the second row doors. When I get old enough that crawling over the console gets tedious, I may have to go the Sprinter route. Not like that's a bad thing, except for the expense.
Couldn't agree more! That said, it would be nice to be able to stand up inside... But it's really nice to have something that is already so capable in stock-ish form. That's why I shied away from a sprinter.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:40 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Yep. I still like to hit some roads that are less than Sprinter-friendly, both in terrain and overhead clearance. I'll probably never outgrow the desire, but the time will come when my ability to self-extricate is degraded to the point that the risk outweighs the reward... then it's 4x4 Diesel Sprinter time and view those mountains from afar, but in comfort. Kitchen, running water, and an aux heater will eventually be welcome additions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.