6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

I'm Back With Another No Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 06:50 PM
COVeteran
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm Back With Another No Start

Hey guys, it's been a few months but I'm back. I have a no start that began Friday the 11th. I had to drive my daughter's boyfriend to work due to a major snow storm that we were having and the truck ran as normal w/no codes. After being back home for a couple of hours I went to leave again and the truck would crank fast but not start. I have gone through this thread as much as possible. Ford Truck Enthusiast No Start Troubleshooting

First, a little backtracking so we're all on the same page. Last time I was here (June 18) this is what was done.
-newly rebuilt FICM
-new fuel pump
-new fuel pressure regulator
-fuel pressure gauge
-new fuel filter cap
-couple of new glow plugs
-repaired block heater wire

More recently (Beginning of Jan)
-oil change with Rotella T6 and Motorcraft filters
-replaced 5! glow plugs (All on passenger side and #6)
-new glow plug wiring harness (passenger side)

After this recent work I ran to Denver and Colorado Springs for a total of about 400 miles. During these trips (Mountainous) I didn't experience any issues and the truck ran great. Until Friday.

Here is where I am in the troubleshooting:
Code 2285 ICP Low
Both Batteries = 12.7
FICM V = 50
FICM Sync = Yes
ICP V (KOEO) = 0.3
ICP V (Cranking) = ~0.6
HPOP (Cranking) = 307
IPR (Cranking) = 14.7-84.5

I have double checked oil level and topped as needed. (Wasn't in the hashmark)
I have oil pressure enough to activate the dash gauge during cranking.
I have fuel at the upper filter. (Didn't check pressure as I don't think that's the issue)
Unplugged ICP, still no start.

I know that the numbers for ICP V and HPOP are low, and the IPR is high. What I don't know is where to continue the troubleshooting to identify an exact culprit. I don't have the capabilities currently to do an air test. (Compressor is DOA) I know this takes out an important diagnostic tool, however I can't replace my compressor at the moment. Truck is currently in several inches of snow pointing the wrong direction, so I can't even push it in the garage. Anyhow, y'all have been awesome in the past which is why I keep coming back. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,483 Likes on 1,722 Posts
An ICP of 6 volts doesn't sound possible since it is a 0-5 volt circuit.

Are you sure of those voltage readings?

What year is your truck?

Have you verified the flow of low pressure oil (ie filling up the oil filter housing when cranking)?

Does your dash oil pressure gauge rise when cranking?

Have you done any upgrades to the high pressure oil system?

Do you weld (ie would you happen to have an argon bottle)?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:17 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I see in your profile you have an 04 F250. Is it a late 04 (with the ICP on the passenger valve cover)?

Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 PM
COVeteran
Senior User
Hi again Mark! You were a great help last time.

Those readings are coming from my Edge Insight monitor, so I'm fairly certain. I'll go back out in a few and take a couple pictures for your reference.
Yes, I have oil filling the filter housing
Yes, oil pressure climbs while cranking
No upgrades outside of EGR delete
No, I am a carpenter and aircraft mechanic, no argon

Truck is late 04.

I appreciate your quick response!

Old 01-16-2019, 07:43 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Sorry you are having issues again! Please double check the monitor. Like I said, the power that the sensor receives is the 5V reference, so to get higher voltage means something big-time wrong w/ the wiring. I'm not even sure the PCM would report a value over 5v.

I know for a fact that 300 psig correlates to 0.6 volts (not 6.0).

With a late 04 you have the failure prone dummy plugs and standpipes unless they have been updated.

I would start there. If they aren't the problem, then it could be the IPR, the injector top seals, or even the HPOP.

I'm thinking that you really need to figure out a way to do that air test though. Even if the dummy plugs are the most common leak point, there are many, many folks that have had the other problems I mentioned.

It can get expensive just replacing parts - even if they are weak components that will eventually need replacing (which the dummy plugs and standpipes qualify for).

Quite frankly the 03 and 04 HPOPs fail pretty often. If I had one, I would proactively install a (expensive) Adrenaline pump. That said, I am not going to recommend that unless the factory HPOP fails.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:49 PM
COVeteran
Senior User
Of course you are once again correct Mark! My apologies, I forgot there was a decimal in those numbers. I will edit my original post to reflect the numbers are .3 and .6.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:55 PM
COVeteran
Senior User
Mark, while I am gaining access to the air compressor, would you mind posting links to the aforementioned products that you would recommend? I would like to get an idea of what I'm looking at for all scenarios. I have a little more to spend this time around. I'm hoping to have this up and running in time for ice fishing this weekend!

Old 01-16-2019, 11:17 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by COVeteran
Mark, while I am gaining access to the air compressor, would you mind posting links to the aforementioned products that you would recommend? I would like to get an idea of what I'm looking at for all scenarios. I have a little more to spend this time around. I'm hoping to have this up and running in time for ice fishing this weekend!
Hello, COVeteran!

The Adrenaline pump Mark referenced can be seen at 2003-2004.5 HEAVY DUTY HIGH VOLUME FORD 6.0L / IH VT365 BILLET HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP (HPOP).
The dummy plugs and standpipes come in a kit. See FORD OEM 6.0L V8 Dummy Plugs and Standpipes Kit 6E7Z-9A332-B.
While you are in there, you may decide to re-ring the injectors. To do that, you'll need eight of these: Injector O-ring Kit 6.0L.
You may decide that you want to replace the (technically reusable) valve cover gaskets. To do that, you'll need two of these: Valve Cover Gasket 3C3Z-6584-BA
If your VIN has a snap to connect fitting, you may want to replace it as well. It's at FORD OEM 6.0L V8 Snap to Connect Kit 4C3Z-9B246-F. (to find out, send us your VIN through our page at FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts.
You may also decide that you want to belts and suspenders this. If so, consideration could be given to replace the injector cups and their orings: Injector Cup Nipple Master Kit.

Hope this helps! Sorry I've been dark for a while. Life has been throwing me a few curveballs.

Ed

Old 01-16-2019, 11:22 PM
COVeteran
Senior User
Originally Posted by FICMrepair.com
Hello, COVeteran!

The Adrenaline pump Mark referenced can be seen at 2003-2004.5 HEAVY DUTY HIGH VOLUME FORD 6.0L / IH VT365 BILLET HIGH PRESSURE OIL PUMP (HPOP).
The dummy plugs and standpipes come in a kit. See FORD OEM 6.0L V8 Dummy Plugs and Standpipes Kit 6E7Z-9A332-B.
While you are in there, you may decide to re-ring the injectors. To do that, you'll need eight of these: Injector O-ring Kit 6.0L.
You may decide that you want to replace the (technically reusable) valve cover gaskets. To do that, you'll need two of these: Valve Cover Gasket 3C3Z-6584-BA
If your VIN has a snap to connect fitting, you may want to replace it as well. It's at FORD OEM 6.0L V8 Snap to Connect Kit 4C3Z-9B246-F. (to find out, send us your VIN through our page at FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts.
You may also decide that you want to belts and suspenders this. If so, consideration could be given to replace the injector cups and their orings: Injector Cup Nipple Master Kit.

Hope this helps! Sorry I've been dark for a while. Life has been throwing me a few curveballs.

Ed
Outstanding Ed! Thank you for the fast response and thank you for these links. I will take a look at everything and will hopefully have a compressor tomorrow.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:30 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Thanks for getting the links for him Ed! Hopefully the "curve *****" aren't anything major!

The 04's didn't have the STC fitting, so he should be ok there.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:59 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bismic
Thanks for getting the links for him Ed! Hopefully the "curve *****" aren't anything major!

The 04's didn't have the STC fitting, so he should be ok there.
Thanks!

I didn't 'snap' to the fact that his was an 04. (apologies for the late night humor, lol)

It's good to be back! I'm just getting into the stride again.

Ed

Old 01-17-2019, 12:00 AM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by COVeteran
Outstanding Ed! Thank you for the fast response and thank you for these links. I will take a look at everything and will hopefully have a compressor tomorrow.
I'm always happy to be of service! Drop me a line or give me a call if I can help you in any way!

Old 01-21-2019, 08:56 AM
COVeteran
Senior User
Thank you Mark and Ed again for your help! I went ahead and changed the dummy plug/ standpipes and the hpop. Now my icp is only reading .3v both KOEO and cranking. HPOP reading <100 psi while cranking. I unplugged the icp and immediately got over 1,000 psi while cranking. Haven't got the truck to fire yet as I drained the batteries, so I'm letting them charge. What would be the cause of this? Did I mess up the ipr getting the job done?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
The worst case a bad HPOP. Unplugging goes to default reading.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:26 AM
COVeteran
Senior User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
The worst case a bad HPOP. Unplugging goes to default reading.
I just completed replacing the hpop at 3 this morning. I hope it's not bad.

Quick Reply: I'm Back With Another No Start