Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump door

Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Black Ford XLT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fuel pump door

Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Finally replaced my sunken brass float and installed the fuel door , followed Steave83 thread , TR

Old 01-10-2019, 11:01 AM
th67ss
Senior User
th67ss is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Are those wire nicked up a little?

Looks good btw!

Old 01-11-2019, 03:22 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745
khadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant future
I have to do the same job too, and I was thinking about cutting the floor.

Is there a thread somewhere that I can get some measurements?

Old 01-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
No the wires were penetrated for testing ,Steve83 super motors has a good write up on this door Good luck TR .1983 Ford Bronco Bronco Fuel Pump Access Hole pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Old 01-11-2019, 06:57 PM
moose4x4
Elder User
moose4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Solo motorsports has a plate to use over cutout with instructions where to cut.
https://www.solomotorsports.com/shop...-access-cover/

Old 01-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Good info, I ordered metal off eBay , 29.50 plus 18.00 to ship .This mod will save anyone a headache dropping the tank.My 85 f150,was removed to install bushings and boy was it a pita .Goodluck TR

Old 01-12-2019, 02:29 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by th67ss View Post
Are those wire nicked up a little?

Looks good btw!
Yes. Yes they are.

Originally Posted by Black Ford XLT View Post
No the wires were penetrated for testing ,Steve83 super motors has a good write up on this door Good luck TR .1983 Ford Bronco Bronco Fuel Pump Access Hole pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
You should seal them up since that is now a good way for moisture to get in there.

I dont understand guys that cut a hole in the floor of their truck for access to the fuel pump especially on an enclosed vehicle like a Bronco. Guys on another forum do the same thing. Drop the gas tank. It isn’t that difficult and how often do you have to do it? Maybe once or twice in the life of the truck?

Make sure you seal it up so fumes don’t get in

Old 01-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Black Ford XLT
Posting Guru
Wires were sealed -no photo-I have changed the fuel pump twice -1996 and 2012 and fixed the float twice. That's a total of 4 times Already!. My 85 F150, the tank (16.5 gallon) has been dropped 3 times ,for float issues.(NO in the tank fuel pump) The Older you get being under a vehicle isn't Fun Good luck TR

Old 01-12-2019, 07:06 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Posting Guru
My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.My4Fordtrucks is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eight years ago I replaced both tanks in my F-150 because it had been sitting for 8-9 years. What was in there was no longer fuel. Haven’t been back since. I think I had to drop the tank in my ‘87 Bronco once or twice in the 20 years I’ve had it. Maybe I’ve just had better luck.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:25 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745
khadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant futurekhadma has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks View Post
Eight years ago I replaced both tanks in my F-150 because it had been sitting for 8-9 years. What was in there was no longer fuel. Havenít been back since. I think I had to drop the tank in my Ď87 Bronco once or twice in the 20 years Iíve had it. Maybe Iíve just had better luck.
This will be my second time dropping the tank to replace the sunken float, or this will be the first time I cut the floor.

I have to get some steel plate to remount a gas can (I plan to use the Rotopax mount and fuel can) that I have mounted on the spare tire carrier. I just might get a piece big enough to make a floor door and mounting location.

I am really considering cutting the floor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.