1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

1998 ranger automatic tough to get into gear and into Park

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:20 AM
antiqueynot
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will do but temps below freezing and "ice pellets" forecast for this weekend, so unless ABSOLUTELY necessary will be a few days.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:04 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Roger on it being Frosty, was in the 20's with 17-20 mph NW winds here, not very danged comfortable being outside yesterday.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:04 AM
antiqueynot
Senior User
PawPaw, I believe we are not that far apart geographically. Hickory is approx 1 mile north of Route 40, about 25 miles from the base of the Appalachians, and is 50 miles from Boone where I rented for a year before buying a small house that needs LOTS of work on the outskirts of Hickory. Various weather forecasts call for sneet (snow and sleet) this weekend. From what I can see SW Va is forecast to get hit even harder. I plan on going to the food store today and I have my insulated coveralls at the ready in case the power goes out. I sure miss the fireplaces I grew up with in Western Central NJ. Be safe and stay warm brother.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:26 PM
antiqueynot
Senior User
PawPaw, If you so desire, you can look at www.antiqueynot.com , my rather basic, self done website. There should be a link to a YouTube video (that unfortunately contains a few seconds of me looking particularly worn out) when I first got a 1939 American Bantam Roadster running after about 45 years in storage, at first only on 3 cylinders. The website and video show examples of work I did on this Bantam. One thing that I am proud of was making con rod bolts from 5/16" X 2 1/2" Grade 8 hardware from Home Depot (I used 2 1/2" bolts as they had an unthreaded portion that was just shorter than the con rod caps). Members of the American Bantam Society told me DO NOT run the motor with the original con rod bolts as they would certainly break. The owner did not want to pay for the recommended repair of replacing with ARP Honda 8 mm con rod bolts as this would require engine disassembly to ream the rod bolt holes from 5/16' to 8 mm. I also was able to weld a spring steel bumper mount and freed rusted solid cables and sheaths for the cable operated drum breaks using Coca-Cola. It is the Oxalic acid in the Coke that does the trick. It took 3 days to get them free, but it did spoil the taste of the Coke :-) Also on the web site are the Daimler Ferret where I found and fixed 7 problems in the braking system, the air boat that I brought back to life after 10 years sitting outside, the Daf rocker panels that I was in the process of making when I had to sell it and a TR3 that I was in the middle of doing inner, outer, and central rocker panel replacement when the owner decided to relocate. The Ferret was my first exposure to BSPP, British Standard Pipe Parallel, brake pipe connections that are pipe thread pitch but parallel not tapered. Oh those pesky Brits. I enjoy a challenge. It's a good day when I learn something and most days are good days

Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 PM
antiqueynot
Senior User
Shifter Cable Surprise

Sorry it has been so long, but I believe I have made a repair than might last. Time will tell though. Today I got under my Ranger and found the sheath pulled back past the ridge in the inner cable. I went to pull it back over the ridge to secure it and SURPRISE the sheath pulled forward off the other end revealing another ridge. I pulled the sheath over both ridges and secured each with cable ties. Hopefully the photos will better explain what I did and I hope this may help someone else with a shifter that will not move correctly. HTH
I don't know why pic #1 and pic #4 are flipped the wrong direction, on my computer all are in the same direction, I hope folks can see which end is which. The Cable Tie Tool I have had for years and it tightens the cable ties very well.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:48 PM
antiqueynot
Senior User
Well the pics loaded just fine, two appeared reversed when preparing to load

Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Looks like the cable ties are the right item for the job.
The only problem I can think of with the repair is that you've used White cable ties & the White ones I've used on my boat & car, don't last anywhere as long as Black ones, so I threw all my white cable ties away. On the boat they just get hard & crumble after a year or so, the Black ones don't, they last Way longer doing the same job in the same place.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 PM
antiqueynot
Senior User
As always PawPaw, good info. I will keep this in mind and I should know if they have failed if it gets hard to get in gear again. I have some black ones in my assortment. Thank you.