1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

92 Ranger shift linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 AM
callmehero
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 Ranger shift linkage?

Searched the forums and was unable to find the answer so I'm posting here.

I recently got a '92 Ranger XLT auto 2WD that the PO had been mucking about with. He managed to detach both of the cables going to the manual shift lever and, although I have been able to connect the kickdown cable, I can't figure out where the hole in the body is for the second cable body clip! The second cable (not even sure what it is called, if someone could at least provide the name that would be great) is the small one that has a connector on the end like a right-angle headphone cable.

Sorry for my lack of term knowledge, I normally work on Land Rovers and they aren't even remotely the same!

Here are some pictures, the first is of the cable I'm trying to figure out where to anchor and the second is of the anchor itself. I know the bracket for the other cable is wrong, the PO or someone earlier must have broken it somehow and welded on a jury rig.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:02 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
After studying your photos, let me say that I don't know where the attachment is for the clip in the second photo in the round circle. I see the two barbs to attach to something. The first photo with the oval highlight shows the transmission shift lever with the white right angle snap on connector to the short lever out of the transmission. This cable would connect to your shift lever. The other cable is in fact called a kick down cable and it attaches to the longer lever on the transmission via the black donut push on connector. It goes up and connects to the throttle linkage accelerator cable at the throttle body. Maybe somebody with a similar year 4.0L can take a look. It could have been attached to the large wire harness with a tape on female connector that snaps to the black prongs. If that is the case, the cable got installed twisted 180 degrees at the black donut connector.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM
callmehero
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think what's happened is at some point the PO either broke or lost the bracket for the smaller cable (with the right angle head) and definitely broke and attempted to repair the kickdown cable bracket which is now mounted using two of the transmission pan bolts instead of the proper bolts further up. This leads me to wonder whether they replaced the transmission...oy vey.