North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Hello from Raleigh

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:11 PM
superspost
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just noticed all of your replies now, not sure how i missed all of them!!

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Welcome to the NC chapter where the fun is!

As for how the plugs looked they did not look worn or carbon up but did look like the motor is running rich.
This could be from a few things. Choke not opening all the way and that could be from motor not running long enough or not adjusted right.
Carb could also be flooding over from a float level being to high or the motor idling along time and the idle mix not set right.
What did the air filter look like? If real dirty that could make it run rich.

I don't think I would pull the pita plugs to adjust the gap at this time unless something is not right after everything else is done.
Once you get to put some miles on it pull a few easy plugs just to see what they look like, should be a light gray / tan color if everything is dialed in right.
Good luck
Dave ----
Interestingly, I did notice that the choke did not seem to open up all the way - but i need to verify again once i am done with the plugs. The air filter did look dirty, but not so much that it seemed to restrict airflow a lot.

And ok thank you - I'll leave the plugs in, for now, and recheck them after a while!

As for the dinner on Thursday, I am looking forward to seeing all of you! Hope you can make it, Dave!

Old 01-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by superspost
I just noticed all of your replies now, not sure how i missed all of them!!
your still wearing your sunglasses in here... lol

Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 PM
superspost
Junior User
I finally managed to get all the spark plugs in and the beast back together. I don't really know how to post a video here, so I uploaded this one to youtube... let me know what you think about it and also what would you guys do next? should I rebuild the carb or go vacuum leak huntin'? Looks like the weekend will be rainy - so maybe start on that carb

sorry for the bad editing - i did this in a rush

Old 01-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
i would chase the vacuum leak first... may find it fixes whatever issue your having with the carb... then if you still have problems you can rebuild the carb... or do both... lol

Old 01-18-2019, 06:52 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Are you talking about the sound it's making when you blip the throttle?
If you hold the choke open and blip the throttle, do you still hear it?

Old 01-20-2019, 04:26 PM
superspost
Junior User
Originally Posted by fuzzy1626
Are you talking about the sound it's making when you blip the throttle?
If you hold the choke open and blip the throttle, do you still hear it?
@fuzzy1626 Yes, it's still there even if I push the throttle.

Today, I was about to start looking for vacuum leaks, when I noticed that when I keep the choke manually open and push the throttle - the idle will come down. BUT, when I push the throttle again, the choke closes up again - and the idle runs high. Looks like the choke needs to be adjusted but I don't know how yet. Any pointers?? @FuzzFace2

Old 01-20-2019, 05:31 PM
MAKO314
Cargo Master
@fuzzy1626 Yes, it's still there even if I push the throttle.

Today, I was about to start looking for vacuum leaks, when I noticed that when I keep the choke manually open and push the throttle - the idle will come down. BUT, when I push the throttle again, the choke closes up again - and the idle runs high. Looks like the choke needs to be adjusted but I don't know how yet. Any pointers?? @FuzzFace2
id get rid of that troublesome carb and put an Edlebrock on it and call it good. The only OEM carbs I’ve ever liked were the Chevy Quadra jet and the Chrysler thermoquad. Even the holleys are a pain sometimes.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The motor craft 2100 is a great carb. There are a few things that you have to check. I still think a carb rebuild will do you some good. I’d start there. The one thing that I know of that trashed those carbs. Is the idle screw. If someone’s has tightened it to much, it will push against the back of the hole and mushroom it out, so it doesn’t seat correctly anymore. Check everything to the choke as well while you are taking it apart.

Last edited by Benztechnc; 01-21-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2019, 06:02 PM
superspost
Junior User
ok - yeah I think I will take the carb off and go over it. - Just watched a couple of videos on youtube on adjusting them, still trying to understand why the choke keeps closing

Old 01-21-2019, 06:23 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Taking it off and looking will make that much easier.

Think I'm going to wire up a few trailer lights. and then get some real work done.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Hey, You going to tell us how the Carb rebuild went for you?

Old 01-29-2019, 03:20 PM
superspost
Junior User
Sooo, I haven't had time to take the carb off, but I have been looking extensively for vacuum leaks and then devoted my attention to the choke. I reduced the tension on the spring so that the choke will open earlier and that seems to have cured the problem. The idle seems to be normal now...

The engine is still missing a beat from time to time so I was going to replace the coil next and also got myself a timing gun and was going to check the timing.

I've been driving the truck some and noticed some growling/howling noise when the engine is under load and driving. Goes away when you step off the gas and reappears when you step back on it... My suspicion is that it might be the transmission or the transfer case... Not yet sure how to deal with that, to be honest.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:51 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,104 Likes on 1,792 Posts
Sooo, I haven't had time to take the carb off, but I have been looking extensively for vacuum leaks and then devoted my attention to the choke. I reduced the tension on the spring so that the choke will open earlier and that seems to have cured the problem. The idle seems to be normal now...

The engine is still missing a beat from time to time so I was going to replace the coil next and also got myself a timing gun and was going to check the timing.

I've been driving the truck some and noticed some growling/howling noise when the engine is under load and driving. Goes away when you step off the gas and reappears when you step back on it... My suspicion is that it might be the transmission or the transfer case... Not yet sure how to deal with that, to be honest.
Been a bit since I been in here because of work hours.
On the noise I would check the lube level in the trany, transfer case and the front & rear axles. I can tell you running them low on lube is a sure way to kill them.
Now that may not stop the noise but you have to start some where.
When on & off the power the gears in all the above units move a different direction and load the bearings differently so a bad bearing could be the cause. The next step and not an easy one is to find what unit is the cause so you can dig deeper.
Dave ----

Old 02-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
X2 agree with Dave. Fluid levels in axles, transfer case and transmission.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:58 AM
Ug666
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apologies, got caught up in 'life' and then managed to start with the F1 tear-down.

So far, front clip off, engine out, patches welded into the floor-pan and vast amounts of 'looking over' and assessment for future tasks.

I'm hopefully going to add some pics here (If so it'll be a new first for me) as you were after a pic of my 73.

Sellers photo.

What you can't see is rusted out door bottoms, hood, bed and a cab floor pan which my dog would climb in through...

Quick Reply: Hello from Raleigh