Tailgate Ladder/step?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 02:05 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by binuya
https://www.amazon.com/Convert-Ball-...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I bought this one over 6 years ago. It functions well and I'm pleased with it. It detaches easily if you want it entirely out of your way. I like the grab handle to make it even easier to get up into the bed.
Surprisingly, it's made in the USA. For the money it's made well enough. Some minor details could have been improved, but those things would increase cost.

Could I have fabricated something myself? Sure. But my time is far more valuable than the $90 I spent on this.
This looks good, except for the handrail portion that sticks into the bed when the tailgate is up. We will be hauling too much crap around and this would get in the way of the payload. I didn't see that it folded to the side or anything, only that the parts could be removed. If I am wrong on that, please let me know.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:29 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes simple is easy. I have used this Harbor freight step stool for years. On my 99 the rig is so high it's hard to change the oil so it comes in handy. Also I use it to climb into the bed with the tailgate down and can position it anywhere I want. We have two, wife loves it for household stuff and I keep one in the garage. It does fold down flat and is very sturdy. We like the wider foot platforms for secure foot holds, getting old I guess.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...&q=step+ladder

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-27-2018, 02:36 PM
arcticatdan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes works with the tailgate up or down opens a an angle away from the tailgate.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:38 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Is it useful when the tailgate is down? I always thought those rear bumper steps were for when the tailgate was up/closed and you could reach into the bed using the step. I haven't ever viewed it as a step up onto the tailgate and then into the bed.

Leaning toward the ladder like I originally posted, but I can still be swayed.
Yes, it works with the tailgate down, if you check the amazon reviews, there is a photo of it with the tailgate down.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:42 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by arcticatdan
Yes works with the tailgate up or down opens a an angle away from the tailgate.
Do you find it difficult to "find" the step when stepping down? Is the view of the step obstructed by the tailgate?

Originally Posted by SRBF150
Yes, it works with the tailgate down, if you check the amazon reviews, there is a photo of it with the tailgate down.
I saw the photo I believe you are talking about, but it was hard to tell how it worked because of the angle. I am off now to see if I can find a decent video of it in action.

I am concerned about coming down from the tailgate and not being able to see the step or miss it and end up laying on the ground on my back. At that point, I would say "we are staying here for the night and can someone grab me a Sweet Water beer please". Then, I would look up into the night/day sky and admire the scenery while spilling my beer on my chest as I try to drink it with an aching back.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Well, my wife just walked by and asked what I was looking at. I showed her and she mentioned that the bumper step would be the better option because we slide too much stuff over and on the tailgate. We have 7 gallon aquatainers that we carry in the bed, the trailer poop trolley (or whatever their called), firewood, etc... Anytime we wanted to slide something over or on the tailgate, we would have to deploy the ladder.

Now, I need to find a retractable step that is not $150... If anyone has a source or link that they have been keeping in their back pocket, please share!

On the hunt for this...

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-27-2018, 04:14 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
This is a LOT more money but I like how it’s hidden, small and doesn’t get in the way of anything...

AMP Research 75303-01A BedStep
Amazon Amazon

EBAY has it for $20 less.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401413302422

Old 12-27-2018, 04:47 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"At that point, I would say "we are staying here for the night and can someone grab me a Sweet Water beer please".

Shades of Rooster Cogburn Sous?

Old 12-27-2018, 05:21 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Why is it the crap I decide on is 3x the cost of the other crap I didn't decide on...

Hydro, I am just an old and grouchy person that knows when/if I fall, I tend to lay there for a while and take in the scenery.

Old 12-27-2018, 08:41 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Your wife just proved real quick, that she IS the sharpest tool, Sousbowdown..with that comment she made about, sliding things across the t.g. when down..ur in trouble lol

Old 12-27-2018, 08:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I already knew she was the sharpest. Damn shame that step is so expensive. Now I will probably wait longer than I should and beat my knees up more than I would like.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:42 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Been interested with the conclusion since i lost the fight to my tailgate 2 days ago..lol.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:24 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
the ladder lays flat enough that most totes and coolers etc slide right over. If it's something heavy or I want to use tailgate for workbench the strap has a quick release buckle and the ladder will swing over out of the way with one hand. Only thing I'm not sure about is with a fifth wheel hooked up. Might not have clearance to swing up and out. You do how ever have the quick pins at the top and can remove the whole thing in about 6 secs.

Not trying to sell it one way or the other. Just letting you know it works for me.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:12 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the insight Paul, I do appreciate it. I really think the under bumper step is the best option, but I find it very difficult to pay $150+ dollars for a single step up.

Each one of those aquatainers is about 50 lbs when full. The cooler is roughly the same. I think I might be OK with reaching over the tailgate and ladder and sliding the heavy container over the ladder, but not sure about my wife. I think she would grow very tired of it. When camping, we keep the tonneau cover closed and the tailgate closed for the most part. The covered bed becomes wood, cooler, water (from the well at home) storage. We normally will put the tailgate down, reach into the bed (roll the cover a bit if we have to) and slide what we need to the end of the tailgate. Like a mini tailgate party, it works pretty well based on our positioning of the truck.

I just think the ladder might get in the way or be another thing to move out of the way when trying to use the tailgate.

My knees scream at me each time I have to climb onto or down from the tailgate due to the height of the bed with new leaf springs and being a 4x4. Like Timmy up there, I have lost many battles, but am looking to win the war in a one strike, one kill motion...

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Sitting in front of Wal-Mart waiting for my wife to grab a few things. I have thought and thought about the step, and the only thing I didn't like about it was the price.

It has a 20% off coupon on it right now through Amazon and I told myself yesterday that if the coupon was still there today I would buy it.

The added cost of the step over the ladder came to $100 and a total cost of $155. I don't know when the coupon would expire, so I bought it.

The added cost of the step is paying for the convenience of using the tailgate unobstructed and as we have grown accustomed to and adding a step that will save my knees over the years.

My 4×4 truck tailgate sits pretty high and having a step up or down is going to be a great addition to the truck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003YK44FA

Quick Reply: Tailgate Ladder/step?