Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 7.3 Powerstroke no start

Old 12-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Jhulsey99
New User
Jhulsey99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2002 7.3 Powerstroke no start

Iíve got a 2002 f350 7.3 PSD, and Iíve come to a point where Iím pretty well stumped. It started when I had to replace the steering gear box on the truck, then I noticed a significant oil leak that was diagnosed as the HPOP. So I removed the pump, did a complete reseal and replaced the IPR valve, and now the truck will not start. Iíve put a code reader on the truck and it reads an IPR duty cycle of 65% and an ICP of 270 psi. Knowing that the truck needs at least 500 psi to fire, Iíve pulled the HPOP off three times and verified that every seal is in place, the check ball on the ďnon-serviceableĒ port is in place, and the hp oil lines are installed correctly. The new IPR valve is genuine motorcraft brand. Another symptom that I noticed was that the fuel system was not pressurizing, so I proceeded to check every fuse for continuity, and there were no blown fuses. If I remove fuse number 22 (ECM), then the fuel pump will come on and pressurize the system. Iíve check the ICP sensor and the IPR sensor and both seem to be in working order, so Iím stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Sounds like you have done a good deal of cranking trying to get ICP pressure, what is your current battery voltage ?
what RPM is it cranking over at ? Burning up a starter and or draining the batteries is not uncommon.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Jhulsey99
New User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
Sounds like you have done a good deal of cranking trying to get ICP pressure, what is your current battery voltage ?
what RPM is it cranking over at ? Burning up a starter and or draining the batteries is not uncommon.
Iíve had the truck connected to the charger to keep the batteries strong. The engine is turning over at 180 rpms, battery voltage is between 11-12.4 volts. Starter is brand new.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:49 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
In my signature is a link to a no-start troubleshooting guide. The 7.3 is down the page a bit. It should help you out.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:37 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
How does removing a fuse, allow equipment to be energized? Have you tried the original ipr?

Old 12-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Jhulsey99
New User
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
How does removing a fuse, allow equipment to be energized? Have you tried the original ipr?
Iím not sure, thatís why Iím puzzled. Yes, I tried the factory IPR and the readings were the same

Old 12-16-2018, 08:49 AM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
I didnt see it stated so I'll ask, have you tried starting it with the ICP sensor unplugged? Checked the inertia switch at the passenger kick panel by the door?

Old 12-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Jhulsey99
New User
Originally Posted by Wesley Green View Post
I didnt see it stated so I'll ask, have you tried starting it with the ICP sensor unplugged? Checked the inertia switch at the passenger kick panel by the door?
i did try starting it with the ICP sensor unplugged and no dice. I have not checked the inertia switch, is it by the fuel reset? What exactly would I be checking?

Old 12-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, I also needed that!

Old 12-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Jhulsey99
New User
Alright so I checked the inertia switch and it is set correctly, but is there a way I could test if the switch itself is bad? Would the inertia switch make sense as to why when fuse number 22 is removed the fuel pump suddenly has power? Or is it more likely to be a different sensor or connector?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.