2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

How Does the 2019 Ranger Stand up to the 2020 Jeep Gladiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:30 PM
Curated Content Editor
Fleet Mechanic
Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

By Brett Foote

Once left for dead, the mid-size truck market is heating up.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:17 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The Ford Ranger is not even in the same class as the Jeep gladiator. The Ford Ranger will compete against the Chevy Colorado the Toyota Tacoma the Nissan frontier. All cookie-cutter basic mid size pick up trucks with independent front suspension and everything else basic since their inception. The opposite of that would be this brand new jeep gladiator with a removable top , removable doors , folding windshield , straight axle in the front, unlimited aftermarket support , manual and automatic transmissions , Rubicon model, diesel option coming. it’s really in a class all of its own and sales will reflect this reallity.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:17 AM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
The Ford Ranger is not even in the same class as the Jeep gladiator. The Ford Ranger will compete against the Chevy Colorado the Toyota Tacoma the Nissan frontier. All cookie-cutter basic mid size pick up trucks with independent front suspension and everything else basic since their inception. The opposite of that would be this brand new jeep gladiator with a removable top , removable doors , folding windshield , straight axle in the front, unlimited aftermarket support , manual and automatic transmissions , Rubicon model, diesel option coming. it’s really in a class all of its own and sales will reflect this reallity.
The problem for Jeep is that the Gladiator does have competition, but you're correct as it's not so much the Ranger, Tacoma or Colorado. It's Jeeps own Wrangler 4 door. They have just given everybody who owns a 4 door the ability to tow and haul. Something the 4-door Wrangler has never done well. How many will they sell I don't know. But I think they missed the mark badly and created a niche vehicle that will be super expensive and appeal mainly to people shopping their other products. It's true that Ford will lose F-150 sales, but I think they will gain some competing brand buyers and they are marketing this thing brilliantly and going after a new demographic. The 2.3 is a very capable engine and coupled with the 10 spd it's already being praised as genius from initial drive reports. This will appeal to more urban and young buyers. The fact is the 2.7 F-150 achieves nearly identical fuel economy despite it's power advantage in a vehicle that's bigger and heavier. I imagine it would have achieved better in the Ranger, but it's all about perception. The 2.3 turbo has appeal to that new buyer and will likely change the class as we know it. I'll bet GM put's their 2.7 turbo 4 in the updated Colorado/Canyon after they see Ford's success.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I'm not sure why our content editor would even post this as a thread. Ranger's competition is well laid out as stated above. The Jeep will compete with it's own brand primarily IMHO.

The brilliant move on the part of Jeep is that the front clip on the Gladiator and Wrangler are the same making it easier for those who own a Wrangler and have modified it to buy the truck and swap parts over. In my area, there are Jeeps for sale all over the place. I hope for the sake of Fiat/Chrysler that the truck isn't a flash in the pan.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I'm not sure why our content editor would even post this as a thread. Ranger's competition is well laid out as stated above. The Jeep will compete with it's own brand primarily IMHO.

The brilliant move on the part of Jeep is that the front clip on the Gladiator and Wrangler are the same making it easier for those who own a Wrangler and have modified it to buy the truck and swap parts over. In my area, there are Jeeps for sale all over the place. I hope for the sake of Fiat/Chrysler that the truck isn't a flash in the pan.
The curated content editor posts some weird stuff. Anyway, I agree it's smart to have the same front clip. Aftermarket support is one of the big attractions of the Jeep brand, and this ensures it will be there for the truck as well. Not to mention it'll keep production costs down, and profits up. Very smart move.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:42 PM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
the gladiator in my opinion will be the clear winner in sales. essentially the same specs but you can remove doors, convertible, etc. wonder if ford will reconsider not having raptor option. i think they need something to get the attention of a gladiator buyer. im disappointed in the "new" 8 year old ranger. waiting for the new ranger in like two years and the courier pickup.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:23 AM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Jeeps are 100% trash with obscene MSRPs and resale values ---- many are undergoing safety recalls for frame weld issues ---- some of the worst even seen in the industry. We fix a LOT of broken Jeeps --- some of the worst reliability numbers of all brands.

Ranger (I think Ford needs to up its game on reliability too, lower its obscene MSRPs) would be my choice over the Gladiator.............

Old 12-23-2018, 09:45 AM
someday
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
jeeps are dime a dozen where i live and its flat as fack here. my 05 rubicon is still worth a decent amount and half the price they are today?!?! i wont recommend a jeep out of warranty for a non mechanic. they can get pretty expensive to maintain but for myself parts and labor are not too expensive or too complicated to fix. as im typing im replacing the 6speed nsg370 trans which has been the biggest repair to date. clutch went out ~165k mi and reverse gear is hard to get into so new trans while its out.

i wouldnt say a jeep is total trash. cant think of anything that has the current capabilities. well see how the new bronco compares!

Old 12-24-2018, 02:59 PM
smlford
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
These are the two vehicles I'm looking at replacing my old Ranger.

ive driven the new Ranger and am waiting to drive the Gladiator and see its pricing. I've had Jeeps of one sort or another for the last 30 years so they don't scare me.

The Gladiator will be an order of magnitude more capable than the Ranger....the question for me is do I want to pay that much more for it...

And I agree the Curated Content guy needs to get out of his Mommy's basement and get some real world experience...😎

Old 12-25-2018, 01:27 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anything Jeep will be a rattletrap in 3 years. Amazing how many people want to ride around in those buckets especially when they seldom see off road, they do look cool though

Old 12-30-2018, 07:08 AM
Stampede.Offroad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost
The problem for Jeep is that the Gladiator does have competition,... It's Jeeps own Wrangler 4 door. They have just given everybody who owns a 4 door the ability to tow and haul. Something the 4-door Wrangler has never done well. ...
The Gladiator will cannibalize Wrangler sales, and if it has an impact on any of the existing mid size trucks, it will be the Tacoma. They are both sold mostly on perception of off-road capability, despite being uncomfortable for most drivers.