1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Newer 5.4l Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Jeffbbq
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newer 5.4l Install

Hi guys,
i just recently bought a 04 E250 and the dealer has offered to put in a newer 5.4 with less miles in it. I would have liked a Remanufactured motor but a junk yard is ok. My question is what exterior parts should I ask to be replaced also. My van was a handicapped van with 199k miles on it and I have remodeled it into a RV nomadic Traveller all over the country. I go to remote areas as well as City. I figure if it's going to be pulled let's do it all. I am thinking new spark plugs, injectors, starter, alternator, water pump, belts, belt tensioner, timing chain, tourque converter, hoses, water pump, power steering pump, radiator, motor mounts, MAF sensor, ignition coil.
Anything else or to much?
What are your suggestions?

Last edited by Jeffbbq; 11-23-2018 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Add additional info
Old 11-23-2018, 04:42 PM
econo93
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffbbq
Hi guys,
i just recently bought a 04 E250 and the dealer has offered to put in a newer 5.4 with less miles in it. I would have liked a Remanufactured motor but a junk yard is ok. My question is what exterior parts should I ask to be replaced also. My van was a handicapped van with 199k miles on it and I have remodeled it into a RV nomadic Traveller all over the country. I go to remote areas as well as City. I figure if it's going to be pulled let's do it all. I am thinking new spark plugs, injectors, starter, alternator, water pump, belts, belt tensioner, timing chain, tourque converter, hoses, water pump, power steering pump, radiator, motor mounts, MAF sensor, ignition coil.
What are your suggestions?
What type of warranty are you getting from the dealer and/or the yard? What is the cost difference between the used motor and a reman? Has the used motor been thoroughly checked out? Lower miles don't necessarily mean a better motor. Has the motor been pulled already and it's just sitting at the yard? Do you have to take their word that it's "good", or can you hear it run, have the dealer do a compression check,etc?

It would be a shame to put all those new parts in and then find that the motor was less than right. If it's bad, the yard may say,"OK just pull it out and we'll give you another one". Who pays for the labor if that were to happen?

Personally, I wouldn't buy a used motor that I haven't heard run, while it's in the truck so that (supposedly) I could be sure the mileage was accurate,etc. Unless of course I could be sure the dealer/yard will backup the deal...LOL. JMHO

Old 11-23-2018, 07:45 PM
econo93
Tuned
Hi guys, i just recently bought a 04 E250....I have remodeled it into a RV nomadic Traveller all over the country. I go to remote areas as well as City.
BTW: If you are travelling a lot and have trouble when far away from that dealer/yard, whatever warranty they offer might not do you any good.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:22 PM
Jeffbbq
New User
The dealer is a friend of mine, we have not even started looking yet because of the holiday and my van runs now, just not good. The lower end is worn out and it just sounds like it has the flu. Lol.
i agree, I would much rather have a remanufactured motor but he will only do a junk yard fully installed on his dime, lots of dimes.
In Calif I have to put in the same year or newer year of the same engine is my understanding. If we got one with a lot less miles, wrecked in the rear portion of the van, and sounds good, what then? The yard gives a 90 day warranty, but we have to do the swap. I am torn on what to do. The rest of the van is in great shape, had everything checked by another mechanic. He checked suspension, trans, rear end, rust which was zero. I was thinking all the stuff I listed just to be overly cautious I guess. I hate being in this spot. Ugh. I am open to more suggestions.

Last edited by Jeffbbq; 11-23-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-23-2018, 08:41 PM
econo93
Tuned
The dealer is a friend of mine, we have not even started looking yet because of the holiday and my van runs now, just not good. The lower end is worn out and it just sounds like it has the flu.
So the friend let you buy a van with 199k and a worn out motor? A Ford dealer or an independent?

Since it's 'on his dime' to make things right, why not add some cash to get a reman? Preferably one with a nationwide warranty. I believe the crate motors from Ford offer a pretty good warranty. Probably not cheap though and that may be the main problem.....been there!

Last edited by econo93; 11-23-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 11-24-2018, 05:30 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Within the past 2 months I've had installed a Ford reman'd 5.4, the original in my '05 Club Wagon wheel chair lift-equipped engine had but 143K miles--was difficult for it to hold much more than 8 (eight) PSI oil pressure at hot idle. Ford's engine reman process is pretty impressive, parts included equally impressive so much so there wasn't much else left to buy for a complete job. I did replace all 8 injectors as 6 of mine were cracked. Since spark plugs are included I did buy new COP boots. Water pump is part of the package.

Without offense I'd be switched to install a scrap yard engine in any vehicle that I'd use to travel anywhere except local to the yard and the installer. While it might be initially "cheaper" its not wise money spent. If that engine fails you're SOL for the cost of repairs and/or another replacement. Not sure what an engine R&I would cost in your area but I believe its a 16 hour flat rate job just for that alone. Down time and reliability are paramount concerns for me so a little money spent up front to assure those factors is smarter money spent, IMHO.

Cost-wise I was into Ford for $3050 plus $800 core deposit. I'd check with your dealer friend about doing the swap using the Ford motor instead of the scrap yard "dimes" engine. 3 year 100K mile warranty backed by Ford's dealership network would be a huge decision point.

Good luck with this!

Old 11-24-2018, 12:08 PM
Jeffbbq
New User
Going w ford

I called him last night and told him my concerns, we are going with a Ford crate motor, direct from Ford. We will order it Monday and install when it comes in. Thank you for your replies.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:04 AM
simplebuck
Freshman User
Someday I'll be in the same boat with my camper van, and after reading this thread, I'll go with a Ford crate engine, or get my existing 5.4 rebuilt.
Reliability is really a big deal, when I'm far from home, far from a good mechanic, far from anything .... while traveling or camping.
An engine replacement might also be a good time to replace the in-tank fuel pump, if the original pump is still in there.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:09 PM
SBrenton
New User
I called him last night and told him my concerns, we are going with a Ford crate motor, direct from Ford. We will order it Monday and install when it comes in. Thank you for your replies.
Are you willing to give us an idea what the motor costs? Do you have a ballpark what the total cost will be?