Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4R100 issues

Old 11-07-2018, 07:34 PM
OlBlue7.3
New User
OlBlue7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
4R100 issues

Hello all,

Iím new to this forum so please forgive me if Iím posting in the wrong area. Iím having some issues with the 4r100 transmission in my Ď03 F250 7.3 4x4. It happened out of the blue. I will be driving at approximately 45-50 mph (overdrive on) and it will act like itís going down a gear, then back up like itís not sure what gear to be in. If I lay into the throttle it will drop shift normally, Iíve also noticed that if I go lead a dead stop the RPMs will go up to about 1200 then the transmission will softly go into gear. I dropped the pan and the oil was dirty, with a metallic color but not as bad as I have seen some. I changed the fluid/filter and it continues to do it. Also, it only does it after the trans is warm and the O/D light does not flash. I just need some opinions, torque converter going out? Clutches slipping, solenoid .... etc truck has about 202500 on it and transmission was rebuilt by P/O approx two years ago. Thanks so much!

Old 11-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
How much fluid did you change? The complete system holds about 18 quarts. If you only changed what's in the pan you need to change the fluid the correct way. Here's how: https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...-transmission/

Old 11-07-2018, 09:49 PM
burnthelight88
Elder User
burnthelight88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Had this issue many years ago. Can't remember exactly what went because auto transmissions are my weakness, but it ended in a full rebuild. Good luck.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:10 PM
OlBlue7.3
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
How much fluid did you change? The complete system holds about 18 quarts. If you only changed what's in the pan you need to change the fluid the correct way. Here's how: https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...-transmission/

i just changed what was in the pan, more so wanting to see if there was any debris in it. Iíll give that a shot this weekend, but do you think doing a full oil change will correct this issue?

Old 11-07-2018, 11:11 PM
OlBlue7.3
New User
Originally Posted by burnthelight88 View Post
Had this issue many years ago. Can't remember exactly what went because auto transmissions are my weakness, but it ended in a full rebuild. Good luck.

Dang, yeah I figured when I bought the truck and saw all the paper work for the recent transmission rebuild that I would be set. But who knows how the previous owner drove it. Thanks!

Old 11-08-2018, 07:48 AM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by OlBlue7.3 View Post

Dang, yeah I figured when I bought the truck and saw all the paper work for the recent transmission rebuild that I would be set. But who knows how the previous owner drove it. Thanks!
I bought my truck was new rebuilt transmission, I rebuilt it 10 months later. They bought a rebuilt transmission but did not replace the TC, it went hauling 7000K over Wilkerson Pass, Colorado. I nursed it home. Luckily my newly installed 6.0 cooler was saved by the Magnefine filter I installed on the hot line before the cooler. It was packed full of metal mush. $3800 later, I did it right with a triple disc TC and HD Tugger Kit.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by OlBlue7.3 View Post
do you think doing a full oil change will correct this issue?
It's a long shot. Chance are there is mechanical damage inside the trans.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 AM
OlBlue7.3
New User
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post

I bought my truck was new rebuilt transmission, I rebuilt it 10 months later. They bought a rebuilt transmission but did not replace the TC, it went hauling 7000K over Wilkerson Pass, Colorado. I nursed it home. Luckily my newly installed 6.0 cooler was saved by the Magnefine filter I installed on the hot line before the cooler. It was packed full of metal mush. $3800 later, I did it right with a triple disc TC and HD Tugger Kit.
oh wow, yeah thankfully mine started acting up just up not to far from my house. Iíll look into getting the magnefine filter you mentioned when I put another transmission in my truck.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 AM
OlBlue7.3
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
It's a long shot. Chance are there is mechanical damage inside the trans.
Okay, thatís what I was thinking. But was hoping it would be a quick fix haha. I appreciate your help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.