Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Tail Lights

Old 11-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to beholdColorado350 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
On the OBS (94.5 - 97 year models) this was a problem. LED's without the resistor did cause the torque converter to unlock as if you were stepping on the brake peddle. PCM supplied a small voltage to the brake lights always and think with the resistance of the 3 brake lights it was around 3 volts. If one or more lights burnt our that voltage would go up to 5.0 volts causing the TC to unlock, thinking you hit the brakes. I don't have a clue why Ford made this design, On the OBS forum many have reported with key on and lights off the brake lights were on at visible (led) very dim,.

There was a technical bulletin on this issue but can't find it. In any case Ford probably fixed the issue on the 99 - 93
Jim, THANKS for clearing that up. I knew I wasn’t making it up.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:01 PM
F250_
Post Fiend
F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
Facts are a good thing! Thanks, Jim.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Shovelheadrob
Elder User
Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.Shovelheadrob has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
I believe the "interference" is when there is no resistor built into the light kit and the result is a really fast blinking turn signal as if you have a burned out bulb. The built in resistor creates the proper resistance in the light circuit so that your turn signal blinks at the proper rate. If there is truly some other interference with other truck systems, I want to know about it as well because I've also been looking at some rear LED kits.

My personal favorite is linked here...

https://www.carid.com/2005-ford-f-25...659511411.html
They looklike the same lights that I have (but the smoke version) the fit is close to factory & I'm very happy with them. I changed the front bulbs to switchback led's too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.