Trailer bounce when parked????? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Trailer bounce when parked?????

Old 11-21-2018, 03:08 AM
JakeHan
Senior User
JakeHan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those look pretty slick - I'm currently using x-chocks, a tripod, and 2 old trailer rims under the front landing legs (a little hick, I know, but works pretty darn good!). The shorter you can keep your jacks, the more stable it is, normally, but with those braces that all goes out the window -

Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by JakeHan View Post
The shorter you can keep your jacks, the more stable it is, normally, but with those braces that all goes out the window -
I think there is a lot to be said about keeping the stabilizer jacks as short as possible. I do mostly boondocking so finding a level site is akin to keeping my nose turned to the wind in hope of catching the scent of a unicorn fart.

Why do the JT Strongarms come with two struts for the front but only one strut for the rear?

Old 11-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Why do the JT Strongarms come with two struts for the front but only one strut for the rear?
Jim I'm not well versed on the TT strongarms, but on a 5ver the 2 front/1 rear makes sense. The front landing legs have zero triangulation as is, so they need to be braced both front to back and side to side. The rears already have tranglulation side to side by design of the power jacks, so they only need braced front to back.

That said, it only applies to power jacks. Scissor jacks have no triangulation by design, and like the landing gear on a 5ver need braced in 2 planes. I'm guessing that on a TT with 4 scissor jacks the front being braced in 2 planes is enough that the rear is sufficient braced in one.

It's all about the triangles!🙂

Old 11-21-2018, 10:03 PM
Tom N OH
Senior User
Tom N OH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The JTís Strongarms come as a set of 6 struts. 2 for each of the front jacks (total of 4 struts) and 1 for each of the rear jacks (total of 2). The rear struts are mounted in the side-to- side direction. I suppose if you wanted to, you could order 2 more struts & brace the rears front-to-back as well, but itís not really needed. My 5th wheel is rock steady with 6.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:22 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
The JTís Strongarms come as a set of 6 struts. 2 for each of the front jacks (total of 4 struts) and 1 for each of the rear jacks (total of 2). The rear struts are mounted in the side-to- side direction. I suppose if you wanted to, you could order 2 more struts & brace the tears front-to-back as well, but itís not really needed. My 5th wheel is rock steady with 6.
It's bothered me that the rears have only one strut. I found a guy on ebay that sells just the strut, no hardware, for $35 plus $20 shipping, each. By the time I buy two, plus the necessary hardware I might as well just buy the whole kit brand new and sell the extras or keep them as spare parts. I doubt that I'll ever need spare parts though.

The JT Strongarm instructions aren't real clear on how the rear struts are oriented. I went back and read the instructions again yesterday and still didn't get a good feel for how they were to be installed. Based on your description, mine are wrong. I figured that the jacks had more side to side stiffness than front to back so I put my struts in front to back.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Tom N OH
Senior User
Tom N OH is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
It's bothered me that the rears have only one strut. I found a guy on ebay that sells just the strut, no hardware, for $35 plus $20 shipping, each. By the time I buy two, plus the necessary hardware I might as well just buy the whole kit brand new and sell the extras or keep them as spare parts. I doubt that I'll ever need spare parts though.

The JT Strongarm instructions aren't real clear on how the rear struts are oriented. I went back and read the instructions again yesterday and still didn't get a good feel for how they were to be installed. Based on your description, mine are wrong. I figured that the jacks had more side to side stiffness than front to back so I put my struts in front to back.
The instructions have you mount the rear struts to a cross member close to the location of the rear jacks so they are oriented in a side-to-side fashion.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:34 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
This is from the OEM installation manual. I do some technical writing when I need to for my software projects. These instructions are not even close to the standard of what I would put into my documentation. I found a set of older installation instructions that are more clear. I wish I had found them before I did my install.

17. Starting with one of the rear scissor jacks, remove the existing lower, outside pivot bolt; replacing with a ⅜ ” x 4” swing-bolt. Install swingbolt from back-to-front with the shoulder of the swing-bolt to the rear side of jack. Place ⅜ ” washer and ⅜ ”-16 locking nut on threaded end of swing-bolt. Tighten enough so that the swing-bolt will only pivot by using a screwdriver for leverage. Ensure swing-bolt tab is positioned horizontally.
The only part of the above instructions that might give me a clue that the strut was to go sideways is that the shoulder of the swing-bolt is to the rear of the jack. But that assumes you know what they mean by "shoulder".

Old 12-20-2018, 03:40 PM
MoBill122
Papa Smurf
MoBill122 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Trailor's Rockin.... At Cheaha Mtn State Campground in Alabama a few years ago

A group of us were sitting around the campfire, and we all finally asked.... WTH is that noise ???? A little investigation.... and we quickly found the " Trailor Rockin " a couple of spaces away. They didn't put the wheel blocks out.... so as it rocked... the trailor would slide on the legs with a loud squeak. One of the guys went over and marked where the tire was and we all placed bets " How far it would move... " Was a young couple, so we eventually moved our camp chairs out to roadway, so we could verify the movement. When it all stopped, the guy ran over to put a measurement to it.... and damn if it didn't start all over again..... LOL We finally got bored and went back to campfire....

Old 12-20-2018, 05:45 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MoBill122 View Post
Trailor's Rockin.... At Cheaha Mtn State Campground in Alabama a few years ago

A group of us were sitting around the campfire, and we all finally asked.... WTH is that noise ???? A little investigation.... and we quickly found the " Trailor Rockin " a couple of spaces away. They didn't put the wheel blocks out.... so as it rocked... the trailor would slide on the legs with a loud squeak. One of the guys went over and marked where the tire was and we all placed bets " How far it would move... " Was a young couple, so we eventually moved our camp chairs out to roadway, so we could verify the movement. When it all stopped, the guy ran over to put a measurement to it.... and damn if it didn't start all over again..... LOL We finally got bored and went back to campfire....
Post of the day right there!

Old 12-21-2018, 07:52 AM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
The old addage goes: "If the trailer is a-rockin', don't come a-knockin' " . I believe it applies here !

Old 12-26-2018, 08:19 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by BPofMD View Post
The old addage goes: "If the trailer is a-rockin', don't come a-knockin' " . I believe it applies here !
Age matters also applies.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:05 AM
grantrekker
New User
grantrekker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like you have a nice set up. We pull a 35' Arctic Fox 5er and in my experience, the "rock and roll" issue is fundamentally an issue addressed by the landing jacks. If the jacks are really snug, then the frame supporting the trailer (where the jacks are attached) is secure. Consequently, there is minimal support offered by the axel/springs (where the rock and roll comes from)since youhave taken the weight off the axel/springs. I usually put the front landing gear down so the nose is a bit lower than level, then snug the rear landing gear down, then bring the front back up to desired level so that the coach is resting primarily on the four landing jacks and very little on the wheels/springs. Hope that helps

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.