Trailer bounce when parked?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 07:47 PM
skyking897
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer bounce when parked?????

Our 5th wheel does a lot of bouncing, swaying, etc. when we camp. I put the rear jacks down (on wood blocks) and crank them tight and the front jacks are also on wood blocks. I recently bought a tripod for under the pin and can't say I noticed much difference although without it I can make the front end sway if I push on the outside (if that makes sense). It seems to sway on the front jacks. So without the tripod, the front sways and the rear bounces and with the tripod not so much sway but the rear still bounces. Never had these problems with out travel trailers. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need something other than the tripod?

Just an overnight stop at a KOA in Parry Sound

Old 11-04-2018, 08:20 PM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Check out the JT Strong Arm System. It is a set of braces that stabilize your front landing gear in two directions and your rear stabilizer jacks in one. They do a great job of minimizing movement. Other things that help are the expanding X-chocks that go between the tires to eliminate motion there. We live in our fifth wheel and even with all of this there is some movement, but it is greatly reduced.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
X2 on the JT strong arms. Made a huge difference on my trailer. I still use the tripod if it will work along with the strongarms. It's not totally solid but so much better than before. 2 more things to make it even more solid would be either x chocks as mentioned above, or another set of stabilizer jacks directly in front of the axles, or both. We are never set up more than 6 nights in a row, so I am happy with just the strongarms and didn't feel the need to chase it further.

Your trailer looks a bit shorter than mine and I'd be willing to bet the strongarms alone would make you happy.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:44 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
X 3 on the StrongArms. ....forget that useless tripod on the pin. If you install them yourself have a number of the drill bits to attach the bolts to your frame....that steel is stout !!

Old 11-05-2018, 01:33 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
In order to see any effect from the tripod, you need to have the trailer a little nose high when you put the tripod under the trailer. Then lower the front end (raise the front landing gear) to put some real weight on the tripod. Then you can drop and tighten up the rear stabilizers. The JT StrongArms are also a very good option, but if you already have the tripod, give this method a try.

Rob

Old 11-05-2018, 08:32 PM
ShadowGrey
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These...
Amazon Amazon
and another set of these in front of the axles ...
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-06-2018, 08:12 PM
skyking897
Cross-Country
Thanks for all the info. Gives me something to think about. I have a set of the x-chocks but I forget to use them most times and after the slide goes out it's a pain to crawl under and install them. Guess I should really make an effort to remember them. I've wondered if adding another set of jacks would make a difference and think I will start with that.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:03 AM
23mikey
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X4 on the JT Strongarms. Also, for them to be most effective, I preload them. After leveling, I extend the rear stabilizers, then lock the JTs. I then give the front landing gear a quick toggle of nose up. I then lock the front JTs and give the landing gear a quick nose down. Stable as a stick built house, no x-chocks or tri-pod needed. YMMV

Mike

Old 11-08-2018, 02:27 PM
DL222
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well when I first read the post I was thinking maybe some high quality memory foam. But I guess the others are correct. The JT Strong Arm System and a set of the x-chocks will help a lot.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:12 AM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,525 Likes on 829 Posts
Originally Posted by DL222
Well when I first read the post I was thinking maybe some high quality memory foam. But I guess the others are correct. The JT Strong Arm System and a set of the x-chocks will help a lot.
LOL... I was waiting on this. When the trailer's rockin' don't bother knockin'. Good stuff.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:28 PM
vtfireftr
Junior User

I will also "push" the JT Strongarms. Took me about 2 hours to install mine. I had a tripod, but it never really helped. The Strongarms are great and very easy to use. Hopefully you can see them in this picture. The rear ones are not visible.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:39 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,629 Likes on 2,731 Posts
I have the JT Strongarms on my bumper pull trailer. Definitely one of the better modifications I've done.

A few words of caution: Be very careful when setting up and taking down the trailer. Don't let someone else do it. They won't know to release the T handles on the JT Strongarms. I do NOT lock the T handles when the jacks are retracted. None of the T handles have come off in the 4,000 miles I've had them on there.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:51 PM
mrgrayaz
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The X-chocks linked here made a HUGE difference to us, and don't require any modifications to the unit....I didn't understand the hype before but they really do work!!!

Old 11-14-2018, 12:02 AM
USSenator
Elder User
I have used the X-Chocks. They seemed to be better than without, but I could not tell a lot.

The one that helped the most were the Andersen Trailer Jack Block. I think due to the fact my leveling struts were shorter. It makes sense to me, and you could probably use a bunch of wood blocks instead to test the theory before you spend the money. Lighter than the wood, and looks and stores nicely.

Amazon Amazon

Old 11-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Tom N OH
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I added a set of the JT's Strongarms & they make a HUGE difference. I can leave my tripod & X-chocks at home now.

Quick Reply: Trailer bounce when parked?????