2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

A level is a level

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:31 AM
dryan
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A level is a level

Do I really need to worry about the brands of leveling kit I get? I have looked at BDS and see that they want to sell more with their set so they add shocks. Zone (Which I know and have been told from installers is the same as BDS but not same warranty) has a 2 inch puck under shock you can buy for 99. It says up to year 2016 but the 1 inch they say is for the 2017-2019 is molded the same. I think they just dont want to tell people its the same since they would rather you buy the BDS for more. Also RC has a 2inch puck under shock for 70. I could run all of these with my existing shocks in front and get along great I think since the only thing I am losing is some down travel. I dont plan on getting airborne anytime soon so I might be ok there. Your thoughts.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:01 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I went with a 2” motofab leveling kit from amazon that only cost $25. It is the exact same grade of aluminum that bds uses in their kits for a fraction of the cost, so your absolutely correct, when it comes to the spacer itself... a level is a level.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:08 PM
dryan
5th Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
On a 2" level what do you really need as far as drop brackets, steering stabilizer etc..

Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Originally Posted by dryan
On a 2" level what do you really need as far as drop brackets, steering stabilizer etc..
All I used was the spacer, and had an alignment afterwards. That was 20,000 miles ago and I’ve had zero problems. If I had gone with anything bigger than 2” I would have installed an adjustable track bar or track bar relocation bracket and new shocks.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:51 PM
keith86
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been debating on kits myself and was leaning towards the Readylift but I really don't care for the look of the spacer on top of the spring. I also still wanted some rake since I do tow some. So I started researching the BDS kit and thought it was high, which mainly because they have the shocks in their kit. But I do wanna install the the alignment cams to help correct the caster like they include in their kit. Down the road I am gonna get shocks just haven't decided what brand I wanna go with yet. So here is what I am planning on ordering.

#1 Rough Country 2" spacer kit $59.95 Amazon
# 2 Alignment cams 23268 & 23269 Amazon around $34.00 each
#3 Ready lift track bar $154.00 - Amazon
#4 Front shock extensions $20.00 - Amazon

Total $301.95

Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
It blows me away how cheap you guys go on suspension parts. Its arguably one of the most important factors in your daily usage of the truck, but so many seem to try and skirt by with the bottom of the barrel parts.

To me, its a $70k truck, spending $1k-4k on suspension is a drop in the bucket. And having a better performing, better riding truck is well worth the cost to play. Even if you're mall crawling, why not get better shocks that dont fade when towing, better handling, smoother ride....just seems like an odd place to cut corners to me. I guess coming from hi-po motorcycles where suspension is 80% of the equation maybe I'm biased.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:48 PM
ymsmiley
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went the opposite extreme with full up Carli, RAs, Deavers. Not cheap but results are amazing. I too think it's odd some spend for a Platinum but then throw on some dirt cheap level just to stuff wheels under it. I've had the level for 2 months and still running stock wheels (for now)

Different priorities I suppose, but I like the peace of mind knowing I can get 3 feet of air then hook right up to my hauler and never have to worry

Old 10-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tricon
It blows me away how cheap you guys go on suspension parts. Its arguably one of the most important factors in your daily usage of the truck, but so many seem to try and skirt by with the bottom of the barrel parts.

To me, its a $70k truck, spending $1k-4k on suspension is a drop in the bucket. And having a better performing, better riding truck is well worth the cost to play. Even if you're mall crawling, why not get better shocks that dont fade when towing, better handling, smoother ride....just seems like an odd place to cut corners to me. I guess coming from hi-po motorcycles where suspension is 80% of the equation maybe I'm biased.
Actually I paid $43,000 for my truck and I only wanted a 2" spacer so I don't see any need in spending $1-$4k on an aftermarket suspension. I am happy with my truck the way it is. The factory ride was not compromised at all by the 2" spacer and my tires have worn perfectly in the last 20,000 miles that the leveling kit has been on my truck. If I were doing serious off roading I could see the need to upgrade my suspension but for my needs I can't justify it. I dont feel like I cut any corners instead I feel like I didn't waste any money. The bds spacer is no better than the motofab spacer. They serve the same purpose and are made of the same grade of billet aluminum.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:00 PM
keith86
Junior User
Well with having a gasser and only wanting 2 inches really don’t have too many options. I agree with you though if I would have spent 70-80k I would spend a little more on a kit. I would also have the diesel which would give me more options.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:18 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
Actually I paid $43,000 for my truck and I only wanted a 2" spacer so I didn't see any need in spending $1-$4k on an aftermarket suspension. I am happy with my truck the way it is. The factory ride was not compromised at all by the 2" spacer and my tires have worn perfectly in the last 20,000 miles that the leveling kit has been on my truck. If I were doing serious off roading I could see the need to upgrade my suspension but for my needs I can't justify it. I dont feel like I cut any corners instead I feel like I didn't waste any money. The bds spacer is no better than the motofab spacer. They serve the same purpose and are made of the same grade of billet aluminum.
Hey I can totally appreciate that. But the suspension does a lot more than just adding offroad ability. You can make it work for you so much better in every day use...but like I said, I'm obviously biased and what's important to me is obviously not to everyone else. I still think its one of the most important characteristics of the overall truck, and a little money goes a long way. But, its your truck, who cares what I think

Originally Posted by keith86
Well with having a gasser and only wanting 2 inches really don’t have too many options. I agree with you though if I would have spent 70-80k I would spend a little more on a kit. I would have the Diesel engine which would give me more options.
I forget how shafted you guys are with the gas motor. That's a completely valid point...even still, I see nothing wrong with a small spacer. The shock extensions and stock shocks on the other hand....

Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 PM
keith86
Junior User
Hey I can totally appreciate that. But the suspension does a lot more than just adding offroad ability. You can make it work for you so much better in every day use...but like I said, I'm obviously biased and what's important to me is obviously not to everyone else. I still think its one of the most important characteristics of the overall truck, and a little money goes a long way. But, its your truck, who cares what I think

I forget how shafted you guys are with the gas motor. That's a completely valid point...even still, I see nothing wrong with a small spacer. The shock extensions and stock shocks on the other hand....
I am planning on buying shocks I just haven’t decided on Fox or Bilstein. Kinda been waiting to see which one comes out with the steering stabilizer to fit the 2018 then I’m gonna get shocks to match. I saw a thread about the fox one coming out soon.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:22 PM
tdc_worm
Junior User
Theoretically, you want your suspension components to mount as high as possible and the weight of the vehicle to "hang" below those mounting points. With spacers above the springs,, you are moving the flex/pivot point of the suspension down in relation to the frame, This gives the frame increased leverage over the spring. If you look at your leaf springs, they are on the side of the frame, with an inverted shackle. It would be much easier to mount them directly under the frame with a normal shackle. It may be negligible, but if using spacers, under is theoretically the better way to go.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:45 PM
Blue6.2
Senior User

I originally planned on eventually piecing together a suspension kit similar to what you have but after extensive searches I couldn't find anyone offering leveling springs for the 6.2 and guys that were using the diesel springs on the gas burners were complaining about the ride being rough. So I decided to just keep what I have and I can honestly say I'm pleased with how my suspension has performed thus far. I will eventually upgrade the shocks but I'm probably going to wait until the factorys are done.
As always Tricon I value the info you share on this forum, your knowledge has been beneficial to all of us. Even though we don't always agree on everything.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
As always Tricon I value the info you share on this forum, your knowledge has been beneficial to all of us. Even though we don't always agree on everything.
This place would be super boring if we all agreed with each other

Old 10-24-2018, 09:21 PM
WVSD
Senior User
This place would be super boring if we all agreed with each other

Tricon - I have a question for you. I have had countless lifted/suspension systems on trucks for 20 years. Everything from way back Fabtech Tacoma’s to 2 Kore Dodge 2500, to a Raptor with tuned factory shocks and rear deavers ...and many versions in between.

I have a F250 6.7 Camper Package. I replaced the shocks w Ranchos after not liking how foxes felt. I have no intention of lifting the truck. This my most of the time daily driver. No off-road trails but I’m in West Virginia so I’m on back roads and creek crossings, hunting camps etc. I run 285/65/20 BFG’s which I’m happy with the size although I may switch to a 285/75/18 at some point soon.

Anyhow Im happy with the ride of the truck after the ranchos other than the front. I guess bc its the camper package the front can be pretty harsh. What’s the shortest lift (0-1”) Spring that will give me a more compliant ride?

Thanks

Quick Reply: A level is a level