Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Sync problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 07:59 PM
greenheads
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync problems

i have a 2017 f150 xlt using iPhone 6s using latest update. I think my sync is version 3.0. I started having problems with the last few weeks. With or with out my phone connected via Bluetooth the touch screen has gotten very slow to react. If I touch the navigation icon it could be normal speed to move or up to 8-10 seconds to go to the screen.

if I hit the voice button on the steering wheel I get the same issue. As she is talking she will freeze mid sentence for 4-5 seconds then continue.

also my navigation after driving a little while will have a white circle with an X over the word GPS and it is not tracking me correctly. I do not have a lift and am running factory tires.

However if I plug my phone in and use apple car play everything works as normal for now.

I have tried master resets a couple times and have disconnected the battery. Any tips or tricks on this? Thanks for the help

Old 10-22-2018, 07:14 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by greenheads
i have a 2017 f150 xlt using iPhone 6s using latest update. I think my sync is version 3.0. I started having problems with the last few weeks. With or with out my phone connected via Bluetooth the touch screen has gotten very slow to react. If I touch the navigation icon it could be normal speed to move or up to 8-10 seconds to go to the screen.

if I hit the voice button on the steering wheel I get the same issue. As she is talking she will freeze mid sentence for 4-5 seconds then continue.

also my navigation after driving a little while will have a white circle with an X over the word GPS and it is not tracking me correctly. I do not have a lift and am running factory tires.

However if I plug my phone in and use apple car play everything works as normal for now.

I have tried master resets a couple times and have disconnected the battery. Any tips or tricks on this? Thanks for the help
Sounds like your APIM is going bad and a Master Reset or battery disconnect will not solve your problems.
This is a known problem and it`s only going to get worse. The APIM is basically the brain of the SYNC 3 system and it`s attached to the back of the display screen.
Take it into your dealership to confirm because more than likely they`ll have to order a new one. I hope you`re still under the factory mileage warranty otherwise, get ready to hand over 1K to the dealer for a replacement APIM.
Have a good day.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 AM
greenheads
Senior User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Sounds like your APIM is going bad and a Master Reset or battery disconnect will not solve your problems.
This is a known problem and it`s only going to get worse. The APIM is basically the brain of the SYNC 3 system and it`s attached to the back of the display screen.
Take it into your dealership to confirm because more than likely they`ll have to order a new one. I hope you`re still under the factory mileage warranty otherwise, get ready to hand over 1K to the dealer for a replacement APIM.
Have a good day.
Thank you for your help, unfortunately my 17 month old truck already has 63,000 miles on it so this is on me. I looked up the APIM part number and it looks like it is HP5Z-14G371-J. I found it for $516 at spikes ford parts online. is this something I can change myself or does it have to be programed at the dealer?

Old 10-22-2018, 03:00 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Thank you for your help, unfortunately my 17 month old truck already has 63,000 miles on it so this is on me. I looked up the APIM part number and it looks like it is HP5Z-14G371-J. I found it for $516 at spikes ford parts online. is this something I can change myself or does it have to be programed at the dealer?
So, what version of 3.0 do you have?? Need to verify your version at head-unit...and logon to FORD site (register if you haven't) and see if you have an update available.

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-t...c-updates.html

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-t...date-sync.html

Good luck...

biz

Last edited by biz4two; 10-22-2018 at 03:07 PM. Reason: new URL added
Old 10-22-2018, 03:13 PM
greenheads
Senior User
Here is a picture of software version, appears version 3.0

Old 10-22-2018, 03:31 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Here is a picture of software version, appears version 3.0

Sorry, but no picture. However, have you registered with the site? Using your VIN the site will let you know if you have an update available. If yes, then try updating first.

Also, it is extremely important to "CONFIRM" the update was successful. You will receive an email asking you to confirm...

biz

Old 10-22-2018, 03:38 PM
greenheads
Senior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
Sorry, but no picture. However, have you registered with the site? Using your VIN the site will let you know if you have an update available. If yes, then try updating first.

Also, it is extremely important to "CONFIRM" the update was successful. You will receive an email asking you to confirm...

biz
I just followed your link and it says up to date, last confirmed install of an update to your vehicle was on October 10, 2018. this is about when it started having problems. is there any way to go back to a previous version or once its screwed up its done?

Old 10-22-2018, 03:44 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Ahhh, that is not good to hear. My hope was that an Update would cure the issues. Unfortunately, I am not sure if you can roll back an update?? That is probably on a question a dealer could answer...as in a Master Reset to like when NEW and took delivery.

biz

Old 10-22-2018, 03:55 PM
greenheads
Senior User
So would a new APIM have to be programmed by the dealer or is it just plug in a new one and its ready to go?

Old 10-23-2018, 07:48 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Yes, you can change it yourself but it will have to be programmed because they are vehicle specific and some of the vehicle info such as the VIN has to be programmed into it and so far, the only way this can be done is via a Ford dealer.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
So would a new APIM have to be programmed by the dealer or is it just plug in a new one and its ready to go?
Yes, it`ll have to be programmed by a Ford dealer and unless something has drastically changed.....meaning recently, this is not a simple plug in the new part and you`re ready to go.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:54 AM
greenheads
Senior User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Yes, you can change it yourself but it will have to be programmed because they are vehicle specific and some of the vehicle info such as the VIN has to be programmed into it and so far, the only way this can be done is via a Ford dealer.

thank you you for the help. Is this programming done through the obdii port or the USB port. Or is it done directly on the apim. The reason I ask is when does it need to be programmed. Before install. Before installing the dash or after finishing install.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:21 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver

thank you you for the help. Is this programming done through the obdii port or the USB port. Or is it done directly on the apim. The reason I ask is when does it need to be programmed. Before install. Before installing the dash or after finishing install.
If it`s anything like MFT, the programming is done via the USB ports after the install.

Since this is SYNC3, it might be different so i`m not sure if anything has to be done to the new APIM before or afterwards.

There`s a video on YouTube showing the procedure for programing an APIM from a Ford tech on a MFT equipped vehicle. The video is 6:42 minutes long but it does include time lapse of the procedure. This will give you an idea of what the dealer has to do. If you`d like to watch it, just type in Ford APIM programming.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:41 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Hope this video helps...answer some questions.

biz