Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line I.D.?

Old 10-05-2018, 03:14 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
Fuel Line I.D.?

Preparing for the Hutch/Harpoon and installing the RiffRaff in-line filter. The filter has -8AN male fittings, requiring a -8AN female to hose barb adapter. I want to simply remove a small section of the factory fuel line between the tank and pump, and replace it with the filter and fittings.

Q: What size hose barb will fit inside the factory fuel line? I've seen both 3/8" and 5/16" mentioned when replacing the line from the tank to the pump, but nothing that specifies what the existing line is internally.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:02 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Moved to the 7.3L PSD forum.

Stewart

Old 10-05-2018, 07:13 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud of
I used 3/8 barbs, with 3/8 fuel injection hose. Starting at the tank, I pushed the hose over the barb coming off the sending unit tripped clamped that one, then threaded hose to the RACOR filter 2 clamps, then on other side of RACOR 3/8” with 2 fuel injection clamps to the back side of the pump. I left the stock lines in place.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:17 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
As long as 3/8" fit on the pump, that should do... I am hoping to re-use all of the stock fuel line.

Many thanks for the reply!

Old 10-05-2018, 07:25 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Ditto what John said, just leave the stock line there. It has the leaky QR fittings at both ends, you want to avoid them. Use new hose from tank to filter. 3/8 and I think it's 30R7 for diesel, then fuel injection clamps not worm drive clamps. Make sure the hose is routed well and supported, sometimes it can get pinched when putting the tank up. Extra hands very nice to have. I used 5/16 from filter to pump to match the pump inlet.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:29 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
Ditto what John said, just leave the stock line there. It has the leaky QR fittings at both ends, you want to avoid them. Use new hose from tank to filter. 3/8 and I think it's 30R7 for diesel, then fuel injection clamps not worm drive clamps. Make sure the hose is routed well and supported, sometimes it can get pinched when putting the tank up. Extra hands very nice to have. I used 5/16 from filter to pump to match the pump inlet.
Okay, that clarifies it - best practice is to NOT re-use the fuel line from the tank. Seems -8AN to 5/16" hose barb is hard to find, and I hate to use a mess of adapters, especially on the suction side.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Colorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud ofColorado350 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PrescottIce View Post
Okay, that clarifies it - best practice is to NOT re-use the fuel line from the tank. Seems -8AN to 5/16" hose barb is hard to find, and I hate to use a mess of adapters, especially on the suction side.
‘The 3/8” hose and barbs works perfectly. So guys like the 5/16 because it fits a bit tighter. No mess of adapters needed. Are you planning on using a RACOR filter?

I left a loop of hose in case I need to cut some off.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:16 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Very clean install Colorado350 . I always appreciate a measure of "service loop" in both hoses and wiring should the need to change ends or make other adjustments arise.

I have the small RiffRaff inline cartridge filter for now. Used lots of Racors in the marine industry, if the RiffRaff doesn't cut it I'll upgrade. Thanks for the pics!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.