Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline powered 7.3 engine...

Old 09-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Gasoline powered 7.3 engine...

Stewart, if this is too far off the beaten path, please move it...

A new Ford 7.3 engine will be gasoline powered...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...mpaign=content

Seems a bit sacrilege to me, but what do I know other than what I learn here...

Old 09-13-2018, 11:33 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
To funny Sousasaurus...im contemplating CNG. Truck had a cholesterol diet for 4yrs, might as well try an energy drink diet to follow

Old 09-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
But wait, there's more to the story, it's not just a 7.3, it's an 'enigne'...

Insider information confirming the new Ford V8 enigne was leaked from a union autoworkers meeting.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:46 PM
z31freakify
Post Fiend
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Sounds to me like the 6.2 and 6.8 will be replaced by a 7.3 gasser which is OK in my book, if its true I my end up buying one of those new trucks in the near future.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
I saw that artical today also. At first I was like how awesome a 7.3 Diesel again. Then found out it’s a gasser. Still pretty cool in my opinion. Be interested in seeing how it turns out.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:31 PM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
Gasser there goes any thoughts of us using newer piston designs or rings as a simple swap in

Old 09-14-2018, 01:20 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.SRBF150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds good to me! I've already decided that if something happened to my 99, I'd get a newer gas motor. Neighbor has a 2017 f250.... $1050/month... no thanks. Between the improvements in the transmission and the rest of the truck, the 6.2 would be fine. A 7.3 would be great I'm sure. Heck, a 3.5L ecoboost F150 would probably be enough...

Old 09-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
That is more than my mortgage!

I bought a 2004 Audi S4 with the V8 engine in it in 2004, that is the last vehicle I will buy new. Unless I win the lottery, then all bets are off... I paid $25,000 down on the car just to get the payments to where I could afford them on a SSgt pay check... It was a crap ton of fun to drive, but man was it expensive.

As for the 7.3 gasoline, I wish they had gone another .2 bigger to "update" the 7.5 from years back, but it is what it is.

I really don't know what I will do if we have to get rid of our 7.3 for any reason. I don't like the idea of a gasoline truck running at 6-8 MPG's towing a 10,000 lbs trailer. You cannot even put an auxiliary tank in the bed meaning you stop for fuel a lot more...

First world problems...

Old 09-14-2018, 02:28 PM
akcooper9
Senior User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
You cannot even put an auxiliary tank in the bed meaning you stop for fuel a lot more...
Yes you can, Been there done it. Just need to tie the vent line into the stock evap system and pump away (can't gravity feed)

Old 09-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
I was under the impression that only diesel tanks could be installed in the back of trucks, perhaps I was wrong. I don't do the gravity feed thing, even on my diesel auxiliary tank. I prefer to have control of the fuel flow.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
That is more than my mortgage!
C'mon out to CA and we'll set you up with a real mortgage. I'm pretty sure I pay the equivalent of a small African nation's GDP each month.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:45 PM
akcooper9
Senior User
akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.akcooper9 has a good reputation on FTE.
I was under the impression that only diesel tanks could be installed in the back of trucks, perhaps I was wrong. I don't do the gravity feed thing, even on my diesel auxiliary tank. I prefer to have control of the fuel flow.
This was 6 or so years ago and I cant find my research but gravity feed for diesel is legal as long as its into the main tank...not direct to a carb or injector. As for gas, gravity feed is not legal....its MUST be pump from the top of the aux tank.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:17 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
When we're towing, it seems that we need to stop every 200 miles so I've never had an issue filling up on that frequency. When in the boonies of montana, idaho, utah, wyoming, I carried two 5 gal cans and was still good.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
I hear you sir, stops are frequent. But stops at places because you need fuel vs. stops at places because you need to stretch or chill out for the night are different animals in my mind. Having 75 gallons of fuel on board is a wonderful feeling when towing.

Although, I have learned that the tank can be installed into the bed of a gasoline truck as well now. I have a transfer pump set on a momentary switch for the auxiliary tank. One of the main reasons why we got an in bed tank with the pump is so that we can move it to another truck if we needed to.

I love to watch the fuel gauge on the truck dash rise when rolling down the road at 65 MPH, makes me smile every time.

Anyway, I still wish that Ford was making the 7.5 again, not a gasoline 7.3.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:29 PM
SRBF150
Elder User
Well, I hope I don't need to be faced with this issue anytime soon. It is fun thinking about a new truck right up to the point I realize there would be payments involved. Mine is kicking butt anyway!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.