2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

What did you do to your Superduty today? 2019 version

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 01:41 PM
rna352
Mountain Top
Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop
I know this is an old thread but for those of us who didn’t go order a brand new 80k truck I have a 19 6.2 FX4 bought in July.

it has the spray in liner but it’s soo rough. I have a tool bag that I carry in the back that I need to slide to the gate for tools and push back. It’s so rough it’s hard to pull and going to wear the bottom out of the bag.

debating some sort of husky liner on top of the spray or a Bedrug or something else. Maybe just a tractor supply mat.

any input? I’m looking to sort of lower the friction between the bag and bed. I do occasionally carry ATVs in the bed and use a trifold tonneau. So a few drips of water gets in if that’s a factor.

also regarding the cover. It’s freakin heavy and I hate how it blocks the whole back glass when carrying an ATV.

thinking of changing it out. Recommendations? I like the look (from photos) of the truxedo x15 pro. Tough at $550 for something I already have that costs more to just get rid of it for near nothing. But the roll up is sure easier to use.

I do like that the trifold can be in place while the tailgate opens and closes. I’m readying that the roll up type has to be rolled back and close the gate and then reconnect? Seems odd because that was not the case on my old F150 I sold. Top could always be down. In fact it had to be clicked it before the gate was closed.
I too carry toolboxes etc every day which I slide back to access from the tailgate. I got a Westin rubber bed mat which strikes a good balance between slideability and grabbiness. Stuff usually stays put pretty well. I carry a broom with a lag screw sunk in the end which I use to retrieve stuff that does slide up out of reach. I also got the Ford tailgate liner which is made of drop in liner material so when I get the toolbox onto the tailgate I can spin it around easily for access. Tractor supply stall mats are too thick, heavy, and not the best solution imo.

I also have a folding hard tonneau cover and yes it is heavy and awkward to use from the ground, especially the 8' version. I only open and close it while I'm up in the bed. I have seen the rear visibility concern of the folding cover raised here multiple times but it makes no sense to me - with mirrors and cameras, the only advantage to not having the rear window blocked is to periodically ensure your quad didn't blow out of the bed. lol.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:14 PM
Rhizzlebop
Mountain Pass
Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by rna352
I too carry toolboxes etc every day which I slide back to access from the tailgate. I got a Westin rubber bed mat which strikes a good balance between slideability and grabbiness. Stuff usually stays put pretty well. I carry a broom with a lag screw sunk in the end which I use to retrieve stuff that does slide up out of reach. I also got the Ford tailgate liner which is made of drop in liner material so when I get the toolbox onto the tailgate I can spin it around easily for access. Tractor supply stall mats are too thick, heavy, and not the best solution imo.

I also have a folding hard tonneau cover and yes it is heavy and awkward to use from the ground, especially the 8' version. I only open and close it while I'm up in the bed. I have seen the rear visibility concern of the folding cover raised here multiple times but it makes no sense to me - with mirrors and cameras, the only advantage to not having the rear window blocked is to periodically ensure your quad didn't blow out of the bed. lol.
thank you sir for responding to me. So to be clear my
rool thing is a tool bag. A heavy like nylon bag with two main areas and some side pockets. It has some basic tools for on the road while pullling my camper like
bif and sockets and multimeter and a drill and jumper cables. But also holds things like my ball hitch grease that I use before hook up etc.

worried its gonna drag the bottom out of the bag.

Im going to look up this mat you use. Might be good. I’m ok with the tractor aupply
mst being heavy because they are tough as nails and I’m ok with adding weight. I think this truck rides better once you get 500 lb in the bed anyway. But not sure if it would be too grabbby etc.

what’s this ford tailgate piece? Mine is sprayed onto the tailgate. But I could prob attach something over it. Can you link me the part you’re talking about?

I basically just load it for camping with tools and kids bikes and random stuff like an occasional ladder. I of course also drive an atv up in there so thinking the bedrug would just hold the f
dirt from the wheels.

as for the cover. My tri fold does leak. We had this crazy storm come through Tuesday. When I got some tools out earlier today the tool bag was wet. My wrenches were wet etc. I don’t like that.

my old F150 had a cheap roll up on it but it never leaked in.

as for this thing blocking visibility. You’re right. It’s not essential. It just feels weird when I’m driving with my atv in the back and I can’t just turn around and see it there. At least to know the foam handlebar piece on my kids atv didn’t blow off or hanging by a Velcro thread. I can just see from the side mirrors that in general it’s still in there.

I sometimes fold mine and usually from the ground. Part way to put something in there.

i just installed a bad boy WoLo horn earlier today because it just sounded so dinky.

as for the tool
bag matter. I also considered getting a big cheap nylon cutting board from Amazon and just sit the tool
bag on that. Grab the cutting board to pull it out and shove it back in and that would prob slide fairly well on the spray in liner.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:18 PM
rna352
Mountain Top
Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts
I don't think any rubber mat will wear out the bottom of your tool bag as quickly as an abrasive bed liner, and a mat would more than likely be grippy enough to stop it sliding around except in the case of big bounces or emergency stops. It holds my metal toolboxes fine except in those situations.

Agreed I wouldn't want motorsport grade mud on a bedrug.

The tailgate liner is here: https://www.levittownfordparts.com/s...000a38-ca.html
I think it would install over the spray in liner without too much trouble.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:32 PM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
Received 646 Likes on 375 Posts
About 18-20 inches forward of the tailgate, there are grooves on the sidewall of the bed that fits 2x6 or larger boards. That will keep bags and other stuff from going to the front of the bed.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:44 PM
BC2019F250
Tuned
Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
I finally replaced the original batteries today. 86,000 miles.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:58 PM
Rhizzlebop
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by SlikWillie
About 18-20 inches forward of the tailgate, there are grooves on the sidewall of the bed that fits 2x6 or larger boards. That will keep bags and other stuff from going to the front of the bed.
ok. But my bag isn’t sliding. My issue is that spray in liner is so rough that I can’t hardly slide the bag. And when I do I feel like it’s going to test the bottom out of the bag.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
Summers22
Tuned
Received 185 Likes on 101 Posts
I have the LineX liner and added a DeeZee bed mat and love the combo. No tool boxes getting throw at a precise angle and puncturing my bed, lol

Old 01-12-2024, 06:44 AM
Rhizzlebop
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by rna352
I don't think any rubber mat will wear out the bottom of your tool bag as quickly as an abrasive bed liner, and a mat would more than likely be grippy enough to stop it sliding around except in the case of big bounces or emergency stops. It holds my metal toolboxes fine except in those situations.

Agreed I wouldn't want motorsport grade mud on a bedrug.

The tailgate liner is here: https://www.levittownfordparts.com/s...000a38-ca.html
I think it would install over the spray in liner without too much trouble.
that Westin mat is only $118 on Amazon. Seems pretty good compared to the price of some. May give it a shot.

also looking at that tailgate piece too.

thank you

Old 01-12-2024, 06:54 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 410 Likes on 248 Posts
Drained the fuel/water separator on the frame rail. Expecting a winter blast this weekend with snow and below zero temps possible. It's going to be miserable driving this truck in that weather, I bet I will never see 190F coolant temps for the next 7 days.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:30 AM
Rhizzlebop
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by WXboy
Drained the fuel/water separator on the frame rail. Expecting a winter blast this weekend with snow and below zero temps possible. It's going to be miserable driving this truck in that weather, I bet I will never see 190F coolant temps for the next 7 days.
never thought about that being a thing. But I’ve never owned a diesel. Sounds like a bit of a hassle in a cold environment but I know they pull great. How is it on the engine wear running that low a coolant temp for days at a time?

are you saying it’ll be miserable driving because you won’t get any good heat to the cab vents?

Old 01-12-2024, 07:42 AM
LEMII
Mountain Pass
Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
First transmission fluid & filter change, installed PPE Tranny Pan with drain, drained fuel/water, and replaced plastic water-in-fuel drain valve with metal one.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:58 AM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 442 Likes on 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhizzlebop
ok. But my bag isn’t sliding. My issue is that spray in liner is so rough that I can’t hardly slide the bag. And when I do I feel like it’s going to test the bottom out of the bag.
Check out the Bedrug Impact Mat. It's not a carpet product. I've had mine for several years and it's held up very well. One of my favorite features is there's a flap between the bed and tail gate so if you sweep or hose debris out of the bed, it doesn't fall between the tail gate and the bed.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:37 AM
Rhizzlebop
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Pugga
Check out the Bedrug Impact Mat. It's not a carpet product. I've had mine for several years and it's held up very well. One of my favorite features is there's a flap between the bed and tail gate so if you sweep or hose debris out of the bed, it doesn't fall between the tail gate and the bed.
I looked this product up. Looks interesting. How does it attach to the tailgate?

Old 01-14-2024, 08:41 AM
Summers22
Tuned
Received 185 Likes on 101 Posts
Added a Christmas gift to it, Tuffskinz 3D dash letters in matte black

The following 2 users liked this post by Summers22:
Old 01-14-2024, 12:06 PM
Rhizzlebop
Mountain Pass
Anyone doing any paint protection film? Just got this 19 in July and had a few paint scratches fixed by a pro to about 90% good

taking a long trip out west this summer and not sure about road debris.

mine is red with lariat cheome package so not much paint on the front.

thinking about the front edge of the hood and maybe some paint film protection there that maybe can self apply?

any recommendations for quality and ease of install?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Superduty today? 2019 version