Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Lets Talk Torque Converters;

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:07 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Lets Talk Torque Converters;

I just returned from a second trip to a Diesel Specialty shop 1.5 hour from my home. (For those that read my thread about my water pump a few weeks back I think I may have found still another not so honest shop)

I went down in person again because I received no response after I sent the instruction manual via Email on the Strictly Diesel Pre-Pump Filter Kit-he asked me to send it to him for his review so he could give me a price on doing the install for me.

(MY truck is a LATE '99 F-350 Crew Cab Dually, 7.3 with automatic transmission with just 153k original, well taken care of miles)

As I drove in he was crossing his driveway in front of me, and as we started talking about the instructions and kit again he said that he felt that my torque converter was rattling pretty bad.....explained that the converters were bad from the factory in '99s, he said we needed to slip the trans back and replace the converter....He also said that the converter could literally disenegrate (sp)..I've had the truck since 70k miles, always ran quality Mercon V fluid and never abused the stock engine and transmission (I DO have a 6.0 cooler) I've never heard or felt that my converter was rattling, my water pump, as I mentioned before IS leaking at the top where the pump mates to the front cover, coolant is getting on the belt and causing a kind of strange noise at times, again THIS guy, without even opening the hood diagnosed the converter as being bad...…..

Is there any truth at all that the converters in the Late '99s are bad from the get-go at the factory? Thanks Guys!!

Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Update; I did a little searching on torque converters, I found a couple of sound clips; Boy, What a racket!!!! There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that MY torque converter is making sounds like that!!

; It seems that I can't link the YouTube video/(audio) with this horrible sound; its the Red truck with the beige front bumper on YouTube if you search for "Ford 7.3 noisy torque converter......

If it ever did it would have scared me to death and I would have had it towed somewhere to be diagnosed.

I have even been complemented as to just how quiet my (stock) 7.3 is.

All I can say is WOW That's LOUD!!!!! - How can anyone diagnose something like this without even opening the hood or crawling under the truck?

I'm having some rather strong second thoughts as to having this shop do the install or the Strictly Diesel Pre-Pump filter kit...….

(I also asked them about installing MY newly purchased OEM water pump that I got from Diesel 0 Rings-all they could do was rag on that...…) Again, WOW!!

Old 07-13-2018, 02:38 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Find a different shop... Keep looking until you find one. You might want to look up your chapter/region here on the FTE and ask around to see if anyone knows of a good shop to help you out.

I once had a clutch chatter issue with my ZF6 and the "reputable" shop I took it to had their master mechanic come out with me for a test drive. He said that the springs on the flywheel might be bad or broken, but wouldn't know until they dropped the transmission. He also claimed he never saw or heard of the problems I was having.

There are no springs on the flywheel...

The problems I was having are common symptoms of a burnt clutch or clutch that has hot spots on it.

I was lucky enough to get in touch with a guy on here that knows these trucks back and forth and he was only about 2 hours from my house. Things worked out great thanks to the FTE.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:47 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Sous
Find a different shop... Keep looking until you find one. You might want to look up your chapter/region here on the FTE and ask around to see if anyone knows of a good shop to help you out.

I once had a clutch chatter issue with my ZF6 and the "reputable" shop I took it to had their master mechanic come out with me for a test drive. He said that the springs on the flywheel might be bad or broken, but wouldn't know until they dropped the transmission. He also claimed he never saw or heard of the problems I was having.

The problems I was having are common symptoms of a burnt clutch or clutch that has hot spots on it.

I was lucky enough to get in touch with a guy on here that knows these trucks back and forth and he was only about 2 hours from my house. Things worked out great thanks to the FTE.
Yes, Thanks! I plan on doing just that-I did put a post on the Florida Chapter a while back, I need to go & check that...…

I am truly shocked as to how these people can diagnose problems without even coming near the vehicle...….WOW!!

Old 07-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Sous

And, By the way, Thank You For Your Service to the GREAT USA Master Sargent -Much Appreciated Sir!!

Old 07-13-2018, 04:20 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Just to give you info and not so much advice. The GUY was right when he said the converters are crap and will self destruct at one point due to manufacturing problems.

The guy was wrong not to scope the truck and shoot out an answer that he didn't investigate.

Before my TC failed, I was sitting at a brick and mortar store with my truck idling 2 feet away from the brick building. It honestly sounded like someone shaking marbles in a steel coffee can. Two days later, transmission thanksgiving. It ate itself.

Now the advice part. Change out the water pump, serp belt and tension pulley. See if the noise goes away.
If not, go to a trans shop of your choice and let them give you an opinion. Any general diesel shop won't give you as expert advice as a trans only shop. They do them every day and that's they're bread and butter. At very least, you'll have two opinions. I would visit at least two trans shops.

Generally when the TC starts delaminating, it retains the parts for a period and grinds, and the smaller particles of debris are washed thru the system by the pump.

If caught early, there's a chance to save the unit, and just get away with a TC and full flush with a new trans cooler.

Every time you start that truck, your running a cement mixer so to speak.

That's what I learned the hard way.

Denny

Old 07-14-2018, 05:22 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by DieselDenny
Just to give you info and not so much advice. The GUY was right when he said the converters are crap and will self destruct at one point due to manufacturing problems.

The guy was wrong not to scope the truck and shoot out an answer that he didn't investigate.

Before my TC failed, I was sitting at a brick and mortar store with my truck idling 2 feet away from the brick building. It honestly sounded like someone shaking marbles in a steel coffee can. Two days later, transmission thanksgiving. It ate itself.

Now the advice part. Change out the water pump, serp belt and tension pulley. See if the noise goes away.
If not, go to a trans shop of your choice and let them give you an opinion. Any general diesel shop won't give you as expert advice as a trans only shop. They do them every day and that's they're bread and butter. At very least, you'll have two opinions. I would visit at least two trans shops.

Generally when the TC starts delaminating, it retains the parts for a period and grinds, and the smaller particles of debris are washed thru the system by the pump.

If caught early, there's a chance to save the unit, and just get away with a TC and full flush with a new trans cooler.

Every time you start that truck, your running a cement mixer so to speak.

That's what I learned the hard way.

Denny
Denny, As I said my converter is not making any noise whatsoever. I have owned the truck nearly 12 years and bought it when it had just 70k miles on it.

There is absolutely no way it could be making the loud, abnormal noise like I have now heard on the YouTube videos/audio, I know ,my truck very well and certainly would have done something if I had ever heard anything remotely abnormal.

The noise the guy at the shop heard yesterday was the sound of my serpentine belt squeeking and clicking as the leaking coolant hit it......I am 150% certain, and also that certain that my converter is not making the noise.

This all said I am looking for a REPUTABLE SHOP somewhere in Florida that can remove my fuel tank and install the Strictly Diesel kit and possibly do my water pump.

So, If you know of one or someone else does I'd appreciate knowing. Thank You.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:30 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

hSo, Guys, Was '99 the only year the converters were bad? was it only the EARLY trucks or both early and LATE?

I really haven't heard of very much catastrophic converter failures during my 12 years on this forum, I know that many have gotten new BTS and John Wood transmissions as well as the HD factory units from Ford and understand that when the transmissions are replaced that the converters are replaced as well-that's natural.

We have a GREAT trans shop here in my town so IF my trans or converter ever shows any signs of trouble I'll certainly take it there and have it attended to and not feel the need to travel thousands of miles to get a new trans put in.

No offense to BTS or John Woods please.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:31 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Rick, When my TC went it didn’t make any noise whatsoever, just wouldn’t lock up and everything got hot when I was towing 7K pounds at almost 11,000FT. I got lucky I was able to nurse it home. I put a 6L cooler on it with a Magnefine filter several months before this happened. The shop dropped the transmission and we opened up the Magnefine filter, it was packed full of super fine particles that had a wet soupy cement like consistency. I wish I’d taken pictures of it but it didn’t occur to me at the time. The shop was able to save the cooler and transmission but I upgraded the TC, Good luck finding a reputable shop. :drinks:

Old 07-15-2018, 09:26 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
The marbles in can syndrome, that ive read about over the last 8yrs along with encountered it with 2 of my friends trucks, have been with the flexplate being cracked...now, talking about converters, i remember a thread not so long ago, that both Mark and another member mentioned that the 4r would benefit with a lower stall than what it came with from factory. Think, the number was 1900...

Old 07-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Colorado350
Rick, When my TC went it didn’t make any noise whatsoever, just wouldn’t lock up and everything got hot when I was towing 7K pounds at almost 11,000FT. I got lucky I was able to nurse it home. I put a 6L cooler on it with a Magnefine filter several months before this happened. The shop dropped the transmission and we opened up the Magnefine filter, it was packed full of super fine particles that had a wet soupy cement like consistency. I wish I’d taken pictures of it but it didn’t occur to me at the time. The shop was able to save the cooler and transmission but I upgraded the TC, Good luck finding a reputable shop. :drinks:
Thanks John, My converter locks up and unlocks just fine, its the same now as the first time I ever drove it with 70k miles on it, I'll keep an ear on it though.....