1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

White smoke Low compression? Hydro locked!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 AM
TheDieselChick
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I'm doing compression today after I put a starter on it however I could only get 7 glow plugs out someone put cheap Auto lite ones in and one is beyond stuck can't even start to unthread it so I plan to leave it in rather than break the tip.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:43 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDieselChick
Yea I'm doing compression today after I put a starter on it however I could only get 7 glow plugs out someone put cheap Auto lite ones in and one is beyond stuck can't even start to unthread it so I plan to leave it in rather than break the tip.
Damn, you got yourself a whole deck of bad luck there.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:48 AM
TheDieselChick
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-30-2018, 09:05 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Buzz test is an electrical test of the solenoid and operation of the poppet valve in the injector. The poppet valve controls the flow of the high pressure oil into the injector; the HPO controls the flow of diesel fuel coming out. Thus the buzz test does NOT test fuel flow or any of the fuel delivery components within the injector. With the engine running and at temp (EOT over 130°F ?) you can run a Cylinder Contribution Test (CCT). This checks each cylinders overall contribution to spinning the crankshaft. It's a sum of everything in that cylinder; injectors, compression, friction, intake/exhaust flow. Usually #8 reads low due to fuel pressure supply issues to that injector.

Loose injectors is simply checking torque on the hold down bolt; while there you should get a straight edge and check the alignment of the tops of all the injector solenoids on that bank. They all should be even, if one is higher or lower that's indication of something wrong; missing copper washer, not seated fully, etc.

Bad o-rings refers to the external injector o-rings. The Cody test checks those for leaks, saving you pulling all of them if only one is bad. If it failed during a bad install, then replacing the one is okay. If the injectors have been in there for awhile and one failed, that could be due to age and could imply the rest are on the way out as well.

If an injector is dumping fuel into the cylinder, that's an internal failure that might resolve itself with fuel additives if it's just a sticky part, but I think that's a gamble. Coolant filling the cylinders is just bad. Cups, head gasket, cracked head / block. I would pray for a bad spot on your starter or starter solenoid, and it's not hydrolocked at all.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:29 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TheDieselChick

Jeez... this is reading like the lyrics to a country western song... the kind with a lot of twang.