Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Alignment Problems - Need Quick Help

Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alignment Problems - Need Quick Help

Hi Folks,
I need some quick help. I'm dropping my truck off at the shop tonight to have them go over an alignment they just did that i'm not happy with.

Here's the scoop. '96 f250 powerstroke diesel 4x4 supercab. The alignment was done by a heavy duty truck facility; they know these trucks inside and out (this isn't your local chain tire place that's looking for a 'wham-bam-thankyou-maam' ).
At the time of alignment I had them replaced the TTB axl pivot bushings just to be safe. Ball joints were done a while back and I've replaced the steering box with a red head box and replaced the original tie-rods. I've also installed brand new leaf springs in the past year.

That being said, the alignment seems to be done correctly HOWEVER when I drive, the wheel does not return to center. I manually have to grab the wheel and steer it back to center. It's absolutely frustrating and even dangerous. I've owned the truck for 11 years now and it's never driven like this even in the worst states of front end alignment.

What could the alignment technician have done wrong? I'm bringing the truck back to the shop and want to make sure I cross my t's and dot my i's before I tell them what I'm displeased with and what I want fixed no their dime.

I think the vehicle is oversteering. Something is also way too tight. I come to an intersection to make a right. I accelerate and turn the wheel. After i'm in the lane I used to be able to just let go of the wheel and let the steering wheel re-center itself. Every vehicle I've owned as well as this truck BEFORE the alignment does this. When I make the turn, the wheel re-centers a little but then sticks in place. Mind you this is while the vehicle is in motion so it should re-center regardless especially if the caster numbers are positive. There's plenty of caster.

Any thoughts on what this is? It is normal? I'm at a loss of words. I just don't want this shop feeding me some line of bull***** that this is "normal" because I don't feel like it is.

Any input is much appreciated as I am writing a letter stating my concerns now.

Thanks so Much!

Old 05-19-2018, 03:17 PM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Simple adjustment similar to this on you truck

And totally expected after all the parts that have been replaced on you truck, all of them in conjunction with any other warn parts = adjust this bar and straiten your steering wheel.

Happens every time you lift a truck too.