Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

am I getting the truth

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:27 PM
omni
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am I getting the truth

had a wheel alignment done,and they couldn't get the steering wheel straight, after the young fellow played with it for about an hour, I left and it still wasn't right.so the next day I went back and a different person did the alignment and straightened the steering wheel, but I noticed the the drivers wheel is slightly tilted inward at the top, so back I go, he said that in order for my truck to go down the road straight thats how it aligned, they put 1 3/4 camber sleeves in, he said that in order to change the camber the sleeves have to move 1/4" turn at a time and that it would tilt out ward if he moved it one notch. sorry for the long post. is this guy stringing me along?

Old 07-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Doesn't sound right. More like he doesn't want to do more work on your truck and not get paid for it. He is basically saying that a 1/4" turn will take your tire from a negative camber position to a positive camber position. Sounds like crap especially considering your truck is stock.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Lone Wolf #2
Senior User
Sounds the same to me, guy doesn't want to work on the truck anymore. All of the camber sleeves I've seen are set in degrees of offset but are infinately adjustable, meaning they do not have to be turned a 1/4 at a time. You may get some neg. camber from spring sag but this should be able to be adjusted out with the right sleeves.

Old 07-30-2006, 10:30 PM
omni
Posting Guru
I think I'm going to take it to another alignment shop and ask them to straighten it out for me. then I'm going to go back and raise some @#$%, because thats the third wheel alignment they did on my truck. this place is a well known tire store

Old 07-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
omni - I had the same thing happen to me. A well respected alignment shop that had done my vehicles for years started doing sub-standard work and said it was the best that they could do. I took it another shop that was able to correct the errors and give me a printout on how far off the alignments were. Got my money back from the orginial shop and have never been back since. Good luck to you!!!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Lone Wolf #2
Senior User
Beware the free alignment also. A large chain store in my area advertises a free alignment with tire purchase and then after getting your vehicle on the rack they tell you that you need x part to be able to align.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:58 PM
saengjwi
Freshman User
I would really find a shop that works on 4x4s and take it to them. I have had this problem with my 92 f-250 4x4. The shop I had do all of my sedans, was not setup to deal with a big truck. I finally took it to a 4x4 shop and a hour later the truck was right. they know the problems 4x4s have with alinements and can fix it right the first time. that is just my 2-cents.

V/R
John