Towing with the 2018 F-250 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Seanoo7
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing with the 2018 F-250 diesel

I'm not use to such a big truck.
I usually tow my horse trailer (locally ) with my 2008 Tacoma.

I would drive in D no overdrive and shift when needed.
Now I have this 2018 F-250 Turbo Diesel monster

This is like a smart phone (too smart for me ) for me.
It has tow/haul mode ? What
Now I want to tow my Horse trailer with a weight dist. hitch and sway control

What do I do...
I'm looking for some general guide lines as to what setting etc.
Thanks
Sean

Old 05-08-2018, 10:14 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,776 Likes on 2,765 Posts
Does the horse trailer tow OK without sway or porpoising? If so I wouldn't bother with a WDH. The truck can easily handle the weight, so that shouldn't be a concern. Some trailers tow better than others. I can tow my 11k toy hauler with a regular ball mount but the porpoising is pretty bad. With the WDH that problem goes away and also handles the small amount of sway.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:17 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts
That’s a really light trailer for weight distribution hitch. Surely not needed, unless you are only getting it for sway control. The picture is a little obscured, but it looks like the trailer is riding a little nose high. That can cause the trailer to constantly wiggle back and forth going down the road. I recommend just bringing the trailer back to level and towing with a standard ball.
Tow haul mode changes shift points, TC lockup, etc. again, with that light of a trailer you can just drive like normal if you want. I’d turn on T/H mode when pulling the trailer, though. This engine and tranny are the same as my 450 that can pull over 30,000 lbs. a 6,000 lb trailer is hardly noticeable to the truck. Just go have fun.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:36 AM
Seanoo7
Junior User
I have the hitch @ the lowest point . I'll have to see if I can get a longer mounting point. I do not want to , as this is temp 3to 4 months.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:39 AM
Seanoo7
Junior User
Horses do move around and the wife will want to know why I changed it ? Easer to just go with the Weight hitch

Old 05-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Seanoo7
Junior User
So I just put in drive with the tow/haul engaged ? No M or 2, 1

Old 05-08-2018, 11:00 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Yep, just push the TH button and drive like normal. You can do this unloaded too. Try it around town you’ll feel the difference in shift points.
As far as the hitch, a good WDH is going to run you $300-500. It requires modification to the trailer as well. And, it triples the amount of time it takes to hook and unhook the trailer. The proper drop hitch will be $45-120 and will work with any other trailer you might tow. By all means, if you are set on WDH go for it, but the proper drop hitch will work just fine.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Seanoo7
Junior User
I already have the WDH I would just need a longer mounting point to get it down 1 to 2 "s

Old 05-08-2018, 11:11 AM
nuctrooper
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Seanoo7
I already have the WDH I would just need a longer mounting point to get it down 1 to 2 "s
something similar to this
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...urt/17120.html

measure your current one and make sure this is a larger drop. There are several others on the site that have even larger drop. Also measure the bolt spacing on your current unit to make sure it is the same.
Since you already have the WDH gear, you can try with and without the bars and see what works best for you. Just be sure the trailer sits about level when hooked up.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Seanoo7
Junior User
Originally Posted by nuctrooper
Yes that's the unit

Old 05-08-2018, 01:38 PM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 274 Likes on 166 Posts
I can't imagine needing a WDH on that trailer but that's just me. I'd get that trailer level and then see if it's better. I've towed a 2 horse slant with a tack room, so a little bigger that your's, thousands of miles to rodeo's and never had an issue. Yeah the horses move around a little. Maybe it's your shorter trailer that makes it uncomfortable? If our barrel horses got a little fresh I just brake check em.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 AM
Seanoo7
Junior User
I measured my unit and it's a 11" .with 2 -1/2 spacing
I've located a 14" and I'll try to pick it up and report back ..

Old 05-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seanoo7
Horses do move around and the wife will want to know why I changed it ? Easer to just go with the Weight hitch
I would be shocked if the WDH was necessary. I grew up on a horse farm and was towing horse trailers before I had a license. I figure that trailer, with two horses, can't be over 6 to 7 thousand pounds, fully loaded. The truck will pull that effortlessly, without the WDH.

I have basically the same truck and regularly tow a 24' enclosed trailer weighing nearly 9K lbs. No need for a WDH. Also, after trying both I really don't bother using the tow/haul mode. The truck is so comfortable pulling the trailer without it, turning it on isn't as comfortable. I do use the engine brake in the mountains. Try it without the WDH, you will probably do fine and won't have to mess with the extra effort to connect the WDH and set it up.

My truck and trailer. note there is no WDH. I have towed this trailer coast to coast and its been a rock the whole way.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Seanoo7
Junior User
This is a rental and since I already have the setup …. I do not want to buy another whole setup .. Just what I need to make it work for now.
This is why I have the WDH.

My normal ride / tow vehicle … Note the F-250 is so much taller ...
PS. Do you want to try to explain to my wife why … (not advised )

Last edited by Seanoo7; 05-09-2018 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Spelling and after thought
Old 05-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Kreep
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You don't need a WDH but you do need to listen to these helpful folks and get the trailer level. Tell the wife the swaying will make the horses car sick. As stated above we are talking about $50 or so for a drop hitch that will last you a life time.

Quick Reply: Towing with the 2018 F-250 diesel