Overdrive issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 07:04 AM
Custer28
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overdrive issue

I just bought an 05 f150 about 2 weeks ago, haven't had any issues with the transmission. Today when i was on my way home from work I entered over drive and was going about 45, slowed to about 40 and I didn't punch it to the floor but I would say i moderately hit the gas to accelerate after the car in front of me turned. When I did this I felt something like a thump maybe? Kind of like if i went over a small bump. When it happened I went back to maintaining speed and it stopped I then hit the gas again and it happened again twice. Is this normal in Overdrive? Is it slipping? There wasnt any noise with it, just seemed like I went over a small bump or maybe like a slip? I didn't punch the gas real hard but I was trying to accelerate quicker than if i was just driving down the highway. The rest of the way home I never had to accelerate like that while in overdrive and it was fine maintaining speed in overdrive with normal acceleration like what you would do if you decided you wanted to go from 55 to 60. And in any gear at any speed for the rest of the drive no transmission problems, no slipping when changing gears etc...

Old 03-29-2018, 02:23 PM
jk080
Transmission Rebuilder

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like a engine miss to me, a good scanner can help find what cylinder is missing.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:25 PM
Custer28
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I've been unable to log in on here since I made this post. It finally allowed me to log back in.

since having this issue my check engine light came on after starting my truck and drive towards the back of the parking lot I was parked in. The only code it shows is p0191 which is the "fuel rail pressure sensor circuit a range performance"

another issue I have had with the truck since I got it a couple weeks ago is taking longer than normal to start. I've never been unable to start it but especially when it's been sitting a while you have to hold the key for a little longer than normal. If it hasn't been sitting long it doesn't have much if any issue starting and like I said it has always started it just takes a couple extra seconds to do so. Could this be the issue I am experiencing in overdrive?

also, I've read a lot about the driver module breaking down on these trucks, it would be nice if this is the cause instead of the fuel pump, with the code being for the fuel rail pressure sensor should I start with that, then the driver module, then the fuel pump? Even though the code says the pressure sensor I'm thinking of starting with the driver module first because that's a known issue in these trucks. However, if based on my symptoms it's more likely to be the fuel pump I'd rather not spend the 120 for first the driver module, then another 120 for the pressure sensor, only to have to swap the fuel pump for probably about 5 or 6 hundred bucks....any insight?