Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Ex Sport 03 Hot start problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 06:31 PM
cosmicbrian
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ex Sport 03 Hot start problems

Strange start problem that makes no sense to me. I've had this happen to me a couple of times but it was the last time that really caused me a lot of concern.

I bought my Ex sport a year and a half ago at 76000 miles. Have had no complaints. There was one glitch at the time I payed very little attention to as it only happened once or twice. I thought maybe it was something I was doing. It starts up cold just fine but after getting to my destination I turned it off but wasn't parked correctly so I tried starting it up immediately and it suddenly acted as if it was flooded. No smell of gas. After cranking it over maybe 2 or 3 times it started. As I said the problem only happened maybe twice with a quick re-start so I thought I had done it. Never had it happened after sitting for just a few minutes.

Then about 4 months ago I go to put some gas in. Get back in and try to start it and it acts like it's flooded again. Once again it took a few re-starts and finally it started. Did I do something stupid in starting it too quick? Am I suppose to wait a few seconds once I put the key in the start position?

Then last week I needed to go to the store early in the morning to get some aspirins for my wife. After being in the store for maybe 10 minutes I get in and turn it over and it acts like it's flooded. By the way, no smelling of any gas once again. In the past it had always finally fired up with this problem. I tried at least three times and still it wouldn't start. Am I flooding it all on my own? I had to apply gas and finally it started but if I removed my foot from the gas it would stall.

Finally the only solution was putting it in nuetral then quickly shifting to drive. I was able to get it back on the hwy thanks to the fact I didn't ever have to stop or it would have stalled.

On the hwy driving home I noticed if I went passed 60 it acted as if it was going to cut out so I drove it at 50 and got home. Very similar to a bad fuel filter. Thank God I never had to make complete stops with so little cars out that early or late. If I had it would have died.

The second I got it in the drive way and shifted to park it died. I tried starting it and it wouldn't start. I waited 30 minutes, got my manuel out and read about fuel pump problems or fuel filter problems. Went out to see if I could hear the fuel pump. Turned it to the on position. Heard the fuel pump kick and it started right up. Made the same run. Stopped at the same store. Sat for 15 minutes. Turned it back to on but waited to hear the fuel pump before actually turning it over. Heard the fuel pump kick on again and it started right up.

I'll be honest, I've never waited to hear the whistle noise of the fuel pump before turning it over. Since I've done this I haven't had any problems. Did I cause this on my own or is there something going out? I find it odd that you have to wait a few seconds before turning it over like that but I guess I'm stupid if that is the case. If you don't wait those few seconds could it flood the truck?

I know this is a bit long winded but wanted to be thorough. I treat this truck very good and it's ran great for me. I'd like to catch something before it creates bigger problems if possible.

Thanks for all those that respond.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:32 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are on the right track by listening for the fuel pump to prime. The next time you have the problem, listen for the pump. If you don't hear it, I suggest replacing the fuel pump relay. You should also consider replacing the fuel filter. Also, pull the codes. There may be a code stored even it the CEL is out.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:53 AM
03-exp
Freshman User
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by llh11456
If games like buy wow gold Quake and Doom defined action gaming in the gaming world, Need for Speed was the definition of racing games. Need For Speed, maple story power leveling or NFS for short has been around since almost the beginning of when computer gaming gained importance. runescape power levelingNeed For Speed is runescape powerleveling a racing game in which the player chooses cars and then races on various tracks.welcome to our websitewow gold
Hey NUMB NUTS, GO SPAM SOMEWHERE ELSE...

Old 08-23-2008, 07:55 AM
03-exp
Freshman User
TO THE ISSUE AT HAND HERE. you should really look at the DPFE sensor and the fuel pump.. i have seen this issue before... also consider having the ignition system scoped by a dealer or reputable shop, even if you get codes with a cheap code reader, it will not tell you all you need to know.... my suggestion spend 80 bucks and have a GOOD shop look at it..

best of luck my friend...

Old 08-24-2008, 07:04 PM
03-exp
Freshman User
also check the ignition control module... but remember you cannot get accurate reading if it is cold you have to heat up the module...