1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Airbag Code 32 - Clock Spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 10:28 AM
kevinshin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 Ranger and the airbag light flashes 32. My understanding is that the clock spring needs to be replaced. Is it something that I can do myself, or shoud I take it to a mechanic? If I can do it myself, how would I do it?

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:10 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Clock spring? Do you know where is it located, and what it's supposed to do?

Old 09-17-2003, 11:12 AM
kevinshin
Freshman User

Clockspring is supposedly behind the airbag in the steering wheel. No idea what it does.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I see a reference in my Ford Manual to a clockspring that is associated with the Airbag Sliding Contact.

The Airbag Sliding Contact is mounted on the steering column, behind the steering wheel...its purpose is to continuously transfers electrical signals from the driver air bag module to the air bag sensor.

To get at the Airbag Sliding Contact, you have to remove the steering wheel and the ignition switch, among other things.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:34 PM
starmoon1222
New User

I replaced the clock spring on my wife's 94 Aerostar. The dealer wanted $90 for the part and about $250 for labor. I found the part on line at fordpartscheap.com for $70.00. It took me about 1 hour to do the job. You need to remove the air bag from the steering wheel(disconnect your battery first), then remove the steering wheel from the column(you can get a free loaner steering wheel puller from Autozone). The clock spring is held by three screws, the wiring runs down the column under the dash board and also to your ignition switch. I will look to see if I can find the site where I received good info on doing this job. I will post when I do. The clock spring controls your air bag, horn, and cruise control. Our airbag went first, then the horn, then the cruise.

Good Luck, Bob

Old 09-17-2003, 07:41 PM
starmoon1222
New User

Kevinshin,

I found the following thread on this site:

93 Aerostar can clockspring be repaired
(Click here to view the original thread with full colors/images)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Hosea2003

Hi. I have a 93 Aerostar 4.0 and it is displaying the blinking airbag light (3-2) and the horn doesn't work and the cruise control failed. I believe it is the clockspring. QUESTION:
Can the clockspring be repaired or must it be replaced. I do not have a schematic of the electrical components of the clockspring so I really need help on this. Trying to avoid the $132.00 price of a new clockspring. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: aerocolorado

There was a problem with some of the early airbag equipped models with the electrical leads being too short and stress failures. With all your components out, I would bet you have just broken the leads. Whether or not you can just repair them with jumpers, I don't know, mine is not similarly equipped. No harm in opening it up and checking for broken leads.

Thanks for your reply. I will take out the airbag this evening and see what it takes to get to the clockspring. I think I have to pull the steering wheel completely off to get to it.

Hosea2003

Posted by: 01RangerSC

There is no way to repair a clockspring. It will have to be replaced. To access it, remove the steering wheel and the plastis steering column trim. It will also have a couple or wiring connectors that extend down about 8-10 inches. BEFORE REMOVING OR RE-INSTALLING THE AIRBAG, MAKE SURE YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY AND WAIT ABOUT 10 MINUTES FOR THE BACKUP BATTERY TO DEPLETE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks alot for the advice. I bought a new clock spring at the dealer. It took me about an hour or so to replace it. Everything works like a charm again! The airbag light quit blinking 3-2; the horn honks and the cruise control works. Driving from Las Vegas to San Antonio this coming weekend; and yes, I did remember to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes before I took the airbag off and before I put the airbag back on.
Thanks to all of you for your help. Love this forum

Posted by: scottu

hay i have the same problem could you tell me how to do this??
scott

I disconnected the ground to the battery and left it alone for 20 minutes. Then unscrewed the four screws behind the steering wheel that hold the airbag in place. LIfted out the airbag very carefully pointing it away from me and disconnected the wires from it then put it in safe place away from kids. Disconnected the rest of the leads to the cruise control and horn. Used a puller to pull the steering wheel off. Pulled the panel off under the steering wheel and the pulled the panel off that covers the steering column. Followed the wires from the clockspring to under the dash and disconnected them. Removed the old clockspring; installed the new clockspring connecting the wires to the same connections under the dash. It comes with a few extra connections, but they are already taped off. Just use the ones that match your old clockspring. Remember to keep the negative ground from the battery disconnected until after you have reassembled everything so the capacitor for the airbag doesn't charge up and accidently activate the bag. Anyway, this is a synopsis of what to do. Hope it helped you.
Archie

FTE HOME
FORUMS
EVENTS
LIVE CHAT
CLASSIFIEDS
GALLERIES
NEWS
RECALLS/TSB'S
SITE SEARCH
SPECS
TECH ARTICLES

Parts Search:

CLUB FTE
MEMBER SITES

ARCHIVES
HOT 100
LINKS
PICTORIAL
ADVERTISING
LINK TO US

© 1997-2003 Ford Truck Enthusiasts, Inc., Please see our legal notices and privacy statement.

test

Old 09-18-2003, 09:31 AM
kevinshin
Freshman User

Thanks starmoon1222

Hopefully, replacing it will be similar to Aerostar since I have a Ranger. I'll let everyone know when I give it a try.

Old 08-03-2006, 07:01 PM
codejunkie
Senior User
Wink 94 F150 XLT 4WD Clockspring

Just a note on source for clockspring; Checker had the one for my '94, two days from Phoenix not bad delivery, it retailed for $79.00 instead of the $150 the dealer wanted (plus another hundred for installation). Eighty bucks instead of $250 (+shop add-ons) suited me pretty well. Especially since there were other vehicles in my drive which needed attention also.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
jarhead167
New User
Ford e-150 also??

would this apply to a 2000 ford e-150 as well? I keep getting the airbag light flashing a 32 code and the horn no longer works. does anyone know if replacing the clockspring would fix this problem?

Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 AM
Adakar
New User
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lol... you do realize this thread is 4 years old right? I'm sure he fixed his clockspring by now.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:09 PM
Adakar
New User
sure
but the information can be usefull to someone else

Cheers

Old 03-24-2016, 12:33 PM
jeffreyclay
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adakar