LMC Patch Panels - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

LMC Patch Panels

Old 03-27-2018, 07:02 AM
CollinsCD
Post Fiend
CollinsCD has a very good reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a very good reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a very good reputation on FTE.
LMC Patch Panels

Hello,
My 2010 Super Duty just started to show bubbles by the rear wheel well which means rust is coming through. A local restoration/body shop who does many classic cars and trucks, says he uses LMC panels and will cut out a big portion of the wheel well and replace with an LMC panel. He uses LMC quite often and says there are good.

I've been doing a bit of research and I'm hearing a lot of bad things about LMC panels, like poor quality, not fitting properly, and of course Chinese junk. Has anyone had any recent experience with LMC panels?

Old 03-28-2018, 08:07 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have not used LMC panels I used Tabco.Com as per another member and was really happy with them.
Dave - - - -

Old 03-28-2018, 10:41 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
sawmaned is starting off with a positive reputation.
2010 rusting out,what caused that,?

Old 03-29-2018, 06:41 AM
CollinsCD
Post Fiend
CollinsCD has a very good reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a very good reputation on FTE.CollinsCD has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by sawmaned View Post
2010 rusting out,what caused that,?
Good question! Truck has only 85K miles on it but it might have to do with Ford using foam in between panels that holds moisture.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:36 PM
sawmaned
Elder User
sawmaned is starting off with a positive reputation.
rust

Originally Posted by CollinsCD View Post
Good question! Truck has only 85K miles on it but it might have to do with Ford using foam in between panels that holds moisture.
That would do it,hard to think it would rust in 8 yrs,

Old 03-30-2018, 07:03 AM
CollinsCD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by sawmaned View Post
That would do it,hard to think it would rust in 8 yrs,
Believe me, I'm not too happy about this but have read where others have had the same issues or with bed supports totally rusting out at a very young age.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:41 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation67nukeford has a superb reputation
Craig, from my experience with LMC, I'd stay away from them, unless you absolutely have to. I've had nothing but bad luck with their stuff. But, I wasn't buying for a 2010 , and maybe that stuff is better. I'd still check around, though.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:11 PM
Beechkid
Beechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud ofBeechkid has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 67nukeford View Post
Craig, from my experience with LMC, I'd stay away from them, unless you absolutely have to. I've had nothing but bad luck with their stuff. But, I wasn't buying for a 2010 , and maybe that stuff is better. I'd still check around, though.
Agree with above!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:10 AM
RIPbiker13
Junior User
RIPbiker13 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Dennis Carpenter sells replacement panels, but they are just a distributor, like LMC. There's no telling where the panel you get will come from. I ordered floor pans for my 69 and the driver side came from California, the passenger side from a different company. Neither fit without a little persuasion.

If you're doing the work yourself, get what you want. I would think Ford sells replacement panels for a truck that's only eight years old. If the body shop is doing the work for you, just make sure they guarantee the work or find someone else who does. Either way, that panel will need to be fit into place, even if it was cut from a clean truck in a junkyard.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:11 PM
David+Don
FTE Content Contributor
David+Don has a good reputation on FTE.David+Don has a good reputation on FTE.
I just got an LMcC tailgate for my 68 and itís the real deal. Weighs a ton just as ordered. I considered getting some Lmc patches for the bottom of the wheel wells but found a
local shop who would cut in new metal and prime
it cheap. They are probably good though

Old 06-06-2018, 05:40 PM
Travis S
Elder User
Travis S is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by RIPbiker13 View Post
Dennis Carpenter sells replacement panels, but they are just a distributor, like LMC. There's no telling where the panel you get will come from. I ordered floor pans for my 69 and the driver side came from California, the passenger side from a different company. Neither fit without a little persuasion.

If you're doing the work yourself, get what you want. I would think Ford sells replacement panels for a truck that's only eight years old. If the body shop is doing the work for you, just make sure they guarantee the work or find someone else who does. Either way, that panel will need to be fit into place, even if it was cut from a clean truck in a junkyard.
That is an excellent point. However, body panels DO warp from fatigue, heat/cold and regular wear & tear, especially on a vehicle that is 50 years old. Plus, the stamping/forming means may have worn when the replacement part was made too. There's always some tolerance on both sides, requiring some adjustment and tweaking to make a good fit. To borrow a phrase from other forums : The result is only as good as the donor. If my RX-7 needed a new quarter panel and I bought it from Mazda, it probably wouldn't be a perfect fit either. But a patient, talented body shop that takes pride in their work can work wonders to make it fit correctly. Wish I had that kind of patience.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:57 AM
F350 1990
Elder User
F350 1990 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
OP -- old thread, not sure you're around, but a 2010 Ford Product rusting out ? (Are you near the beach or something?)

Regarding LMC --- AVOID their garbage.

I've been using Sherman (Michigan) for years --- decent quality stuff..................

Old 10-22-2018, 06:30 AM
CollinsCD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350 1990 View Post
OP -- old thread, not sure you're around, but a 2010 Ford Product rusting out ? (Are you near the beach or something?)

Regarding LMC --- AVOID their garbage.

I've been using Sherman (Michigan) for years --- decent quality stuff..................
My truck has never been on the beach or by salt water. Of course Delaware does use brine and road salt during the winter. The body shop doing my repair says he has seen lots of Ford's rust in the wheel well area.

As far as LMC, I really have no choice since this restoration shop uses lots of their panels and does not have customer complaints.