2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford Smartlink

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:01 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
Ordering from Nate at fairway is the only way to go.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:07 AM
79BRNC
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much for sharing that.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:16 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
I set my motion alert to .1 g to see how good it works. I stood on the sidestep and jumped and it did not send an alert. Just sitting here some lightning hit close and it immediately notified me.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:50 PM
roadpilot
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 79BRNC
Imagine how many more of these they would sell if the purchase and installation were plug and play simple and not shrouded in such mystery. The Ford website should be straight and to the point as the cost and the procedure, not "see dealer for details", then as many are reporting, the dealer knows nothing. It would be great to able to buy it online, and activate it online yourself, the plug it in to the OBDII and go.
Yea it would be great if someone could buy it online, activate it online, plug it into YOUR ODBII port and then steal your truck, right?

Old 09-04-2018, 09:41 AM
moynihan1129
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford did a pretty **** job of rolling this out. I tried to buy at my local dealer and they had no clue. Nate at fairway hooked me up and I gave the instructions with pictures to my local dealership. All I needed them to do is to upload the 48 digit code. Been here for 2 hours and they still haven’t figured it out!

**Edit - after 3 hours they came and told me they still didn't figure it out and are waiting for ford engineers to call them back. Sent me off with a truck off the lot and said they will need it for a day or two. With the instructions that Nate provided, I think I could have figured it out myself. Literally screen shots and step by step instructions. Should have taken no more than 10 min.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:19 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by moynihan1129
Ford did a pretty **** job of rolling this out. I tried to buy at my local dealer and they had no clue. Nate at fairway hooked me up and I gave the instructions with pictures to my local dealership. All I needed them to do is to upload the 48 digit code. Been here for 2 hours and they still haven’t figured it out!

**Edit - after 3 hours they came and told me they still didn't figure it out and are waiting for ford engineers to call them back. Sent me off with a truck off the lot and said they will need it for a day or two. With the instructions that Nate provided, I think I could have figured it out myself. Literally screen shots and step by step instructions. Should have taken no more than 10 min.
I agree with you regarding Ford doing a poor job of rolling this out but, what`s even worse is that they didn`t tell or even train that vast majority of their dealer network and they had almost a year to train them before it was even available to the general public.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:55 AM
moynihan1129
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by GABAR
I agree with you regarding Ford doing a poor job of rolling this out but, what`s even worse is that they didn`t tell or even train that vast majority of their dealer network and they had almost a year to train them before it was even available to the general public.
I am seriously about ready to just return the unit. I have been without my truck for 2 days for a 5 minute job. My selling dealership is clueless and I have called every dealer in the area---nobody knows what they are doing and all recommend I call Ford. I called the technical support number for smart-link and they said it is escalated and I have to wait for up to 72 hours for a call back. Come on Ford!!!!

Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Texmudder
More Turbo
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
One thing I did was only give them the part of the instructions that I needed them to do. Any moron with access to IDS can follow the few steps. I left out all of the other parts of the instructions to cut down on confusion.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:31 PM
moynihan1129
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Texmudder
One thing I did was only give them the part of the instructions that I needed them to do. Any moron with access to IDS can follow the few steps. I left out all of the other parts of the instructions to cut down on confusion.
I did exactly that and they screwed it up. Said they don’t know when to hear back from ford. They gave me a 2018 f-150 off the lot with a dealer plate and asked me not to do “truck things” with it. I gotta get me a load of mulch tonight though!

Old 09-06-2018, 09:25 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver

I did exactly that and they screwed it up. Said they don’t know when to hear back from ford. They gave me a 2018 f-150 off the lot with a dealer plate and asked me not to do “truck things” with it. I gotta get me a load of mulch tonight though!
Wow......unbelievable how something so simple can be made so difficult by people of the same company who`s offering the product. Come on many but not all Ford dealers......get your crap together.

I can`t believe they have the actual instructions in hand as well as the only computer system that can program it and they still can`t do it.

I`m not sure if you`ve tried this but maybe they should get on the phone with Fairway Ford and ask them how to program it or they can walk them through it on the phone. They have the same Ford computer system software so hopefully their ego is not to large too ask for help from another dealer.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:28 AM
moynihan1129
Mountain Pass
Wow......unbelievable how something so simple can be made so difficult by people of the same company who`s offering the product. Come on many but not all Ford dealers......get your crap together.

I can`t believe they have the actual instructions in hand as well as the only computer system that can program it and they still can`t do it.

I`m not sure if you`ve tried this but maybe they should get on the phone with Fairway Ford and ask them how to program it or they can walk them through it on the phone. They have the same Ford computer system software so hopefully their ego is not to large too ask for help from another dealer.
I tried to get them to call fairway. They said they are required to call Ford and can't talk to other dealers. They said that one of the menus on their IDS didn't come up and then they got an error code.
1) I called fairway and Nate said it sounds like they haven't updated IDS software
2) I called the tech support line and they told me the technician made the wrong input several times and got locked out requiring a total reset---not an error code.
3) I picked up the truck yesterday (2 full days at dealer) and had to re-generate a 48 digit code myself. My neighbor has IDS (he does contract work at several dealerships) and if I can catch him before next week, I will do it myself. If not, I have an appointment at another dealership next week. When you make an appointment you have to ask to have a keyfob programmed. If you mention smartlink they automatically have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:46 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
I tried to get them to call fairway. They said they are required to call Ford and can't talk to other dealers. They said that one of the menus on their IDS didn't come up and then they got an error code.
1) I called fairway and Nate said it sounds like they haven't updated IDS software
2) I called the tech support line and they told me the technician made the wrong input several times and got locked out requiring a total reset---not an error code.
3) I picked up the truck yesterday (2 full days at dealer) and had to re-generate a 48 digit code myself. My neighbor has IDS (he does contract work at several dealerships) and if I can catch him before next week, I will do it myself. If not, I have an appointment at another dealership next week. When you make an appointment you have to ask to have a keyfob programmed. If you mention smartlink they automatically have no idea what you are talking about.
Let us know if you were successful in getting it programmed.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:25 AM
moynihan1129
Mountain Pass
Let us know if you were successful in getting it programmed.
I had my appointment for dealer number 2 today. Was in and out in 20 minutes. Unfortunately, for some reason the "remote start" icon is grayed out---the whole reason I bought the damn thing. The dealer said to call smart-link, smart link said to take it to the dealer. I am over this thing. Don't buy it until Ford is able to support it. I reached out to Nate and at this point I just want my money back.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
I had my appointment for dealer number 2 today. Was in and out in 20 minutes. Unfortunately, for some reason the "remote start" icon is grayed out---the whole reason I bought the damn thing. The dealer said to call smart-link, smart link said to take it to the dealer. I am over this thing. Don't buy it until Ford is able to support it. I reached out to Nate and at this point I just want my money back.
Sorry to hear that.

Since the second dealer was kind of successful, maybe Nate can get that remote start feature working for you.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 AM
hi3cho
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know if this will work with the Plug and Play aftermarket remote start?

Quick Reply: Ford Smartlink