Driver's side barn door handle only? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Reload this Page > Driver's side barn door handle only?
Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side barn door handle only?

Old 03-19-2018, 12:27 PM
TomFL
Senior User
TomFL is starting off with a positive reputation.
Driver's side barn door handle only?

So I recently did the door lock cable end upgrade as described on this forum and then promptly broke my darned door handle itself.

It seems the RH barn door handle is easy to find, but I cannot find the part # for the driver's side door handle only. Is the driver's side only sold as a kit, with the cable and actuator itself or does anyone know if the handle is available separately?

Old 03-19-2018, 01:30 PM
efiguero
Senior User
efiguero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
So I recently did the door lock cable end upgrade as described on this forum and then promptly broke my darned door handle itself.

It seems the RH barn door handle is easy to find, but I cannot find the part # for the driver's side door handle only. Is the driver's side only sold as a kit, with the cable and actuator itself or does anyone know if the handle is available separately?
Sorry don't have the answer to your question, but was curious how you broke it? My cable end broke last week and I am waiting on the new ends to repair the cable. If you can provide any tips to avoid what you ran into? Thanks

Old 03-19-2018, 01:35 PM
TomFL
Senior User
Cable end replacement was straightforward, but I pulled on the handle a bit too hard trying to seat the cable end a little more and wound up breaking the plastic retaining tab on the handle that keeps the cable in place. I switched the cable end to the lower tab on the handle, but it doesn't work very well there I believe because of the bend that you have to put in the cable to get it to reach the lower tab.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:00 PM
efiguero
Senior User
efiguero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
Cable end replacement was straightforward, but I pulled on the handle a bit too hard trying to seat the cable end a little more and wound up breaking the plastic retaining tab on the handle that keeps the cable in place. I switched the cable end to the lower tab on the handle, but it doesn't work very well there I believe because of the bend that you have to put in the cable to get it to reach the lower tab.
Ok, thanks for the info. Good luck on getting a new handle.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:58 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Oldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud ofOldguyfl has much to be proud of
Old 03-19-2018, 04:56 PM
ShelbyHauler
Senior User
ShelbyHauler has a good reputation on FTE.ShelbyHauler has a good reputation on FTE.
Mine was missing the handle and cable. Did this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17683316

Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM
TomFL
Senior User
Originally Posted by ShelbyHauler View Post
Mine was missing the handle and cable. Did this: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17683316
That's an awesome write up, however in my case my cable end is a ball, not a barrel shape so there's no way to make it work in the handle. That's the only difference between the left and right barn door handles; the receiving end of the cable mount. Bummer!

Old 03-19-2018, 09:44 PM
Cocky EX
New User
Cocky EX is starting off with a positive reputation.
Having never looked at a schematic or had mine out just wondering if one of these can be modified. Pros/Cons.
http://www.ebay.com/i/271584007615?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 AM
TomFL
Senior User
Originally Posted by Cocky EX View Post
Having never looked at a schematic or had mine out just wondering if one of these can be modified. Pros/Cons.
http://www.ebay.com/i/271584007615?chn=ps&dispItem=1
It's probable, but the correct part sells for about the same amount. If you can find the handle only, it would sell for about $18, which is the going rate for the RH door handle. If I purchase the kit, I'd also have to install the latch. Not the end of the world, but if the LH handle is available it would be a lot easier, and not tossing good money out the window for unneeded parts.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 AM
Nicmike
Veteran Sheepdog
Nicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputationNicmike has a superb reputation
Tom, I got your message. I believe that is sold as an assembly only on the left side. Your other option is to visit a salvage yard and pay a couple of bucks for the whole assembly. Then you would have your handle and the rest of the assembly as a spare. Some yards, however, will not separate the handles/latches from their doors.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM
TomFL
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
Tom, I got your message. I believe that is sold as an assembly only on the left side. Your other option is to visit a salvage yard and pay a couple of bucks for the whole assembly. Then you would have your handle and the rest of the assembly as a spare. Some yards, however, will not separate the handles/latches from their doors.
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to look. Looks like my time would be best spend purchasing the new assembly and finishing the job.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.