1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

RockAuto door cable choice incomplete

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 09:06 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
RockAuto door cable choice incomplete

Just noticed that RockAuto only offers the lower cable on the driver side rear barn door. My upper cable has failed. As usual, it's the plastic sheath ends that fail, not the cable.
1A Auto doesn't have the full cable either either, but they offer this kit.

https://www.1aauto.com/ford-door-handle-latch-cable-repair-kit/i/1admx00235?f=1104665&y=1999

I'm tired of these cheesy plastic end bits breaking when the cable is still very strong. I'd give this kit a try. IF it were in stock...

Looks like Amazon has the metal repair kits.
Amazon Amazon

Old 07-02-2018, 09:48 PM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I haven't been able to find one either. I did the metal end repair but messed up my lower one (cut the cable by accident and it broke). At least the upper is working and I've just been putting off replacing the lower one.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:20 AM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoHuskerDu
Just noticed that RockAuto only offers the lower cable on the driver side rear barn door. My upper cable has failed. As usual, it's the plastic sheath ends that fail, not the cable.
1A Auto doesn't have the full cable either either, but they offer this kit.

https://www.1aauto.com/ford-door-handle-latch-cable-repair-kit/i/1admx00235?f=1104665&y=1999

I'm tired of these cheesy plastic end bits breaking when the cable is still very strong. I'd give this kit a try. IF it were in stock...

Looks like Amazon has the metal repair kits.
https://www.amazon.com/Repair-Replacement-Expedition-Excursion-Navigator/dp/B01FS6527G/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01FS 6527G&pd_rd_r=68aa5f45-7e66-11e8-9eaa-59d6a16b2647&pd_rd_w=7iOFc&pd_rd_wg=wQgMo&pf_rd_i= desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=391456861833012 4508&pf_rd_r=M7PQY0P1EKS8V4W7SHFY&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=M7PQY0P1EKS8V4W7SH FY
I'm in the process of doing my left door as well. Did the right one and all the ends were crumbled. I figured it would be wise to do the left door while I could still open it. All the ends were deteriorated, but the door still opened.

The metal ends are the way to go, really work well. They're even cheaper on eBay, I paid about $5.00 for a set of four, shipped. Note that for the upper latch you will need a "cam lock" end, the regular won't work. There's YouTube videos on the replacement procedure. Another important thing is to shave the housing cover down before you try to slid the end on, otherwise it'll be extremely hard. I used a bench grinder, rough sand paper would probably work too. I've seen videos of people drilling out the ends, but it isn't necessary.

And you don't need to remove the cable from the top latch, you.can slide the end on while it's connected, just make sure all the old end is removed.

Cam end install:

Last edited by jimbomitch; 07-03-2018 at 07:26 AM. Reason: added link
Old 07-03-2018, 07:37 AM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Old 07-03-2018, 07:38 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Great info. I can't imagine poor owners taking their vans to the Ford stealer to get this fixed for hundreds of bucks every few years.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:42 PM
DriverD
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I bought those metal things to use on my side cargo door. The outer handle would not open the door. Watched several vids about installing these, so I felt confident that I could fix the cable. Needed to file the slots to get the cable into them. Needed to trim the cable sheath, for some reason Ford didn't see fit to make them smooth.
My guess is that they install the latch before they weld the inner panel to the door. The only big hole in the inner panel is at the opposite side of the door and removing the latch involves disconnecting several solid bars, lock, etc.. I can see why they charge hundreds of $ to replace these, and why they only sell the complete assembly (all part of the plan at the design stage.)
In any case, once inside the door I found that all of the stupid plastic ferules were junk, so I replaced them all. The door opened once using the outside handle, but now it won't open using either handle. Is there any way to open the latch from inside the door?

Old 07-22-2018, 02:51 PM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
I've never worked on a side door, but there's a latch in the front and one for the back. You're going to have to find a way to release them at the same time.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:29 PM
DriverD
Junior User
The front door is independent of the back door. The handle for the back door can only be accessed with the front door open.
1997 E150.
Can't wait for the rest of the door cables to rot.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:58 PM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Oh, you have barn doors, I was thinking slider. I'm pretty sure they operate like the rear doors. The left door latches at top/bottom and the right one latches in the center, to the closed left door. These cables aren't too difficult to repair, if you remove each latch assembly. Some people have done it leaving the latches in place, but I can imagine it's a PIA.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:15 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
There is a way to open them from the inside despite failed cables. You need to know how to work both top and bottom latches from inside. This requires you to understand their operation. They have to be opened at the same time. Or open one and hold that part of the door slightly open with a shim, but not too much as it would put excessive pressure on the remaining latch.

I didn't know how to do it the first time, so I took it to my mechanic. Now I've had those stupid latches out in my hands enough times to know how they work. You have to see it. Telling you won't work. If you don't know how they work, you need somebody to show you. I didn't find any good youtube videos on it btw.

When you say file the slots, I hope you don't mean on the latch. You just need observation and patience. But we filed the slots on some of the the metal end ferrules in order to get them on. That was the top latch on the driver side rear barn door. Filing a little aluminum part that cost $2 is smarter than filing the latch. No idea how much it costs. Another thing we found is that you really have to jam the metal ferrules onto the cable ends.

Hope this helps. Persevere, brother.

Old 07-22-2018, 10:21 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by jimbomitch

I'm in the process of doing my left door as well. Did the right one and all the ends were crumbled. I figured it would be wise to do the left door while I could still open it. All the ends were deteriorated, but the door still opened.

The metal ends are the way to go, really work well. They're even cheaper on eBay, I paid about $5.00 for a set of four, shipped. Note that for the upper latch you will need a "cam lock" end, the regular won't work. There's YouTube videos on the replacement procedure. Another important thing is to shave the housing cover down before you try to slid the end on, otherwise it'll be extremely hard. I used a bench grinder, rough sand paper would probably work too. I've seen videos of people drilling out the ends, but it isn't necessary.

And you don't need to remove the cable from the top latch, you.can slide the end on while it's connected, just make sure all the old end is removed.

Cam end install: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HO8cGvPOTtw
We made the regular end work on the top latch by filing off some metal on the sides. And we got the ends onto the cable far enough just by pushing hard. 1999 E-350. But we are stubborn cusses.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 PM
DriverD
Junior User
There is a way to open them from the inside despite failed cables. You need to know how to work both top and bottom latches from inside. This requires you to understand their operation. They have to be opened at the same time. Or open one and hold that part of the door slightly open with a shim, but not too much as it would put excessive pressure on the remaining latch.
There is only ONE latch involved. I repeat, this is the front, side door on a 1997 E150, NOT a sliding door.

I didn't know how to do it the first time, so I took it to my mechanic. Now I've had those stupid latches out in my hands enough times to know how they work. You have to see it. Telling you won't work. If you don't know how they work, you need somebody to show you. I didn't find any good youtube videos on it btw.
I had the latch loose, if not out to repair the connections there. It's quite obvious how the thing works, though a bit screwy in Ford's implementation.
The more I work with modern vehicles the more I miss my old Volkswagens.

When you say file the slots, I hope you don't mean on the latch. You just need observation and patience. But we filed the slots on some of the the metal end ferrules in order to get them on. That was the top latch on the driver side rear barn door. Filing a little aluminum part that cost $2 is smarter than filing the latch. No idea how much it costs. Another thing we found is that you really have to jam the metal ferrules onto the cable ends.

Hope this helps. Persevere, brother.[/QUOTE]

No, I did not mean on the latch. Those metal ferules required filing to make the slot larger and filing to make the thing fit into the slots for the ferule ( then twist the thing to get it to stay in place.) The whole assembly is f***ing GOOFY!

Old 07-23-2018, 07:25 AM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by DriverD
There is only ONE latch involved. I repeat, this is the front, side door on a 1997 E150, NOT a sliding door.

SNIP
We had that one locked shut with a broken cable end (ferrule) and our mechanic got it open. If you've had that latch in your hand then you just have to reach in there and work it, remember where the little arm is to push on. Pull the window surround trim (if you have a window there) straight off, then the lower door trim comes up and off. There may be speaker grill screws and one at the bottom of the lower door trim.
Hope that helps....