RABSII Code 16 ABS Light Still On? Help - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

RABSII Code 16 ABS Light Still On? Help

Old 09-16-2003, 08:07 PM
New User

scottson is starting off with a positive reputation.

Iv'e got a 96 Ranger with Rabs II system. I get the ABS light only when I accelerate past 15 mph, then stays on steady. Only ABS light comes on with no other brake light.

Performed diagnostic connector test and got flash code of 16. code 16 is supposed to be System OK but I still have ABS light.

I removed the Speed Sensor from the Diff thinking Iv'e got a speed related problem. Cleaned the sensor (had some small metal particles) and reinstalled. Drove vehicle and ABS light came on at about 15 mph again.???

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott
Old 09-18-2003, 10:06 AM
New User

scottson is starting off with a positive reputation.

Well you may not believe it, but I found the problem. Both of my rear brake lights were burnt out! yes, burnt out. I found this by reading the Ford Service Manual a friend of mine had and in the troubleshooting section it mentioned checking the brake lights for operation.

I must also explain that I also have wired in to the brake light circuit a anti-theft device which prevents the starter from cranking unless the brake pedal is pressed. I installed this anti-theft solenoid about 5 years ago as an extra precaution when I lived in the big city of LA California.

Anyways when I was reading the Ford service Manual I read something about intrmittent pwr to the brake control module might cause a flash code 16. I also found in the wiring diagram that the brake module gets it's pwr from the brake light switch (AKA "BOO Switch"). So I was beginning to think that maybe my anti-theft device might be somehow interfering with the pwr being supplied to the brake module an causing the ABS light.

The anti-theft device also has a simple switch that is to arm and disarm the device (also known as a valet switch). I happened to notice that when the switch was placed in the disarm (valet) position I couldn't get the the ABS Module to Flash Test at all!

When I put the switch in the "ARM" position I would always get the flash code when I grounded the diagnostic lead. So this led me to the troubleshooting section of the Service Manual which covers when the Brake module will not produce a Flash Code. And it was in this troubleshooting section that it has you verify if your brake lights a functioning.

So to my surprise, when I tested my brake lights and found that both of them were out I figured that I had blown a fuse but not the case. They were burnt out.

I replaced the two brake light bulbs. Took a test drive and was grinning ear to ear when the ABS light didn't come on at around 16 MPH!!!! I drove all the way home with no light!!! It's fixed!!
Who would have figured!

I hope this post will help enlighten someone else just as this perplexing problem has finally enlightened me!