My 55 F350 is at the body shop! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

My 55 F350 is at the body shop!

Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 AM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
My 55 F350 is at the body shop!

Took my 55 F350 to the body shop yesterday. There is some rust in the hood lip, bottoms of both doors, dents in the roof and a dent behind the passenger door where some guy backed into me in summer of 2016. I will replace the door rubbers, window anti rattlers kits, paint the wing vents and division bars, then put some insulation on the roof and put back the original headliner if it doesn't break up and crumble.

Here are before pics..

And those dorky cab clearance lights are coming off to be replaced by 5 new vintage looking lights.

This rust spot is where a mouse nest was above the headliner.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:19 AM
Post Fiend

Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
What in the world happened on the center back of the roof. That's quite a dent.
Your truck looks great now, I can't wait o see it all fresh and new. Do you have a timeframe from the shop?

Are you going to replace that rotted out bed wood?
The vintage cab lights will look so much better.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:34 AM
Post Fiend

abe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant futureabe has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What in the world happened on the center back of the roof. That's quite a dent.
Your truck looks great now, I can't wait o see it all fresh and new. Do you have a timeframe from the shop?

The vintage cab lights will look so much better.
Roof dent? Don't know. It was used on an orchard. I suppose it could be from a tree branch or a bushel basket.

Time frame? Don't know. He was sick last week so he said he will start it next week.

Rotted wood? Not at this time. If I replace the front cross piece then there will be others I find that need replaced.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:40 AM
Post Fiend

Here are the new clearance lights.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:04 PM
Elder User

52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.52 USCG Panel has a very good reputation on FTE.
The new clearance lights are really going to add to the "statement" your truck makes!

It's an interesting paradox that in our younger good looking days our trucks looked old and worn out. Now that we have aged to the point of being old and worn out, our trucks are looking newer and better. Funny how that works.

With fresh paint and a few dings removed, your truck is going to look great. Now if only I could find a shop to have a little make-over done--70 years out, and I have more "patina" then my truck--you too, Abe--you've really been working hard on your trucks. LOL.

Jim
Old 02-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Most of the rot you see is the bed boards. That is why I put plywood over the boards. That was easier, quicker and cheaper than replacing all the boards. I think what happened is that the bed sits higher in the back and the rain would roll front and gather there leading to the rotten bed boards.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Elder User

EBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to beholdEBEAR is a splendid one to behold
I sincerely hope you have better luck with your bodyshop than I have had with mine . It's been years of complaining and whining with little progress , never time for mine other customers are more important seems to be the prevailing theme . The worst part is there is no one who will listen as I OWN THE SHOP LOL .
Old 02-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBEAR View Post
I sincerely hope you have better luck with your bodyshop than I have had with mine . It's been years of complaining and whining with little progress , never time for mine other customers are more important seems to be the prevailing theme . The worst part is there is no one who will listen as I OWN THE SHOP LOL .
Ha ha! Maybe you should fire your painter!
Old 02-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Secret Agent

df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Good for you Abe! Can't wait to see the finished product. I like those lights too. They will look great!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:12 AM
Senior User

GJCAT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Abe are you going to pull the fenders off? Looks like some rust has started behind the seals. Truck won`t know how to act with new paint!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJCAT View Post
Abe are you going to pull the fenders off? Looks like some rust has started behind the seals. Truck won`t know how to act with new paint!
Yes, I've got new fender welts to put on. Then we'll see what's behind there.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:35 PM
Posting Legend

56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
I hope that's not rust under the paint in the drip rails abe, repair bill might get high seeing as you're not doing the work...